I'm strongly considering making the switch from iPhone to blackberry. At&t's service is so horrendous that I'm tempted to switch to t-mobile. If so, the bold will be my phone of choice.

My issue is if BB's apps can relace the apps I've grown accustomed to with iPhone. Does BB have a good sports app that will push notify me scores of games I choose? Does BB have a good white & yellow pages app? Ustream? Yahoo messenger? Maps and directions?

I could care less about games. What I'm most concerned with is the internet browser on BB.
    Last edited by johnny football hero; 01-15-10 at 07:01 AM.
    01-15-10 06:49 AM
    I don't know about sports with a push feature, but you can get a good app through BlackBerry App World that will find telephone numbers in the white and yellow pages called Superpages. BlackBerry App World - Superpages Mobile.
    01-15-10 07:01 AM
    Poynt is also a really good one that let's you search restaurants and movies, along with the white and yellow pages.
    Not sure that ustream is.
    There's a Yahoo! Messenger app.
    You could download Google Maps for maps and directions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 07:09 AM
    ScoreMobile is the app that you're wanting to keep you up to the minute on your sports scores... fantastic app, and when you hide it in the background it will automatically update every 5 minutes, or whatever length of time you want to set it to, not like the iPhone where you have to manually refresh the app, or close out and re enter...
    As far as Yellow Pages, I always just use Google Maps to look up phone numbers for businesses, and in addition, Google Maps is a fantastic app for directions. You can call the numbers directly from the app, and then get directions to the place, read reviews, etc. It's another must have app.
    As is stated above, there is a Yahoo! Messanger app available.
    I'm also unsure what Ustream is. Can you give us a description?

The best thing about all these apps are that they're free to download, and free to use (with your data plan of course, no subscription charge).
    01-15-10 08:19 AM
    Sports: ScoreMobile
    White & Yellow Pages: Poynt (includes gas prices, restaraunts & theaters by location).
    Yahoo Messenger: RIM's native app, BeeJive, IM+, Palringo, Nimbuzz, eBuddy
    Maps: BlackBerry Maps, Google Maps, Garmin Mobile, TeleNav, Gokivo....
    Web Browser: Native browser, Opera Mini, Bolt

I'm not sure what uStream is either. All apps can run in the background, so you can quickly switch over to check sports scores, jump back to a YM! conversation, and do other stuff all at the same time.
    01-15-10 08:28 AM
    no u cant get ustream or ne thing like that on the bb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 09:14 AM
    TBH the browser on BB sucks ***, so if thats a big concern then you might as well keep your iphone. Also using Opera or Bolt browser helps a little bit, but they still are nothing compared to other platforms. All of the above listed apps work very well though on BB.
    01-15-10 10:18 AM
    Yes, the browser and speed of page rendering sucks big time on the Blackberry. Unless your NEED the Blackberry for something in particular, seriously consider the new Droid. I had it for 3 weeks and really regret having to go to the Blackberry but I switched over for work related reasons and I really miss it.

The google map app was far better than what is available on Blackberry too.
    01-15-10 11:15 AM
    Bb has everything and more that i phone has. Take the plunge you wont regret it i promise.
    01-15-10 12:31 PM
    Sports: ScoreMobile
    White & Yellow Pages: Poynt (includes gas prices, restaraunts & theaters by location).
    Yahoo Messenger: RIM's native app, BeeJive, IM+, Palringo, Nimbuzz, eBuddy
    Maps: BlackBerry Maps, Google Maps, Garmin Mobile, TeleNav, Gokivo....
    Web Browser: Native browser, Opera Mini, Bolt

I'm not sure what uStream is either. All apps can run in the background, so you can quickly switch over to check sports scores, jump back to a YM! conversation, and do other stuff all at the same time.
    nice job man....
    01-15-10 12:44 PM
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but given that there as many (if not more - depending on the source) blackberries being sold currently as iphone's, why is it that developers are developing iphone apps like it's going out of style, while Blackberry is largely ignored?

As a former iphone user, that's my one disappointment (ok the browser too) about my bold 9000. I've got a few that I really like (Score, CBS News, Viigo) But few are actual native apps, most seem to be just a link to a mobile site.

For example - TSN (sports network in Canada) just launched a masters golf app, they also have a mobile blackberry site, but no app.

Thanks

Mark
    04-07-10 12:40 PM
    zero competition... iPhone apps win hands down. anyone that tells you different is living in a fantasy land.
    04-07-10 01:14 PM
    Sorry if I post was mis-interpreted. I wasn't comparing iphone apps to blackberry apps. I would concur that iphone apps have it all over berry apps. No question. That's the one thing that keeps me pining over my former iphone. Just look at golf shot gps vs. golf logix. no comparison and golf shot is a one time $29.95 fee!!!

I was trying to understand why there is such a massive difference between the numbers of blackberry true apps and the number of iphone apps.

Is a blackberry app harder to develop? harder to sell?

Thanks

Mark
    04-07-10 02:54 PM
    I was trying to understand why there is such a massive difference between the numbers of blackberry true apps and the number of iphone apps.

Is a blackberry app harder to develop? harder to sell?

Thanks

Mark
    This was a thread topic not long back. In it, I explain some of the reasons for the price / quality differences. As a consumer, it still seems annoying and unfair... but at least you can appreciate why it is the way it is.
    04-07-10 03:16 PM
    I'm strongly considering making the switch from iPhone to blackberry. At&t's service is so horrendous that I'm tempted to switch to t-mobile. If so, the bold will be my phone of choice.

My issue is if BB's apps can relace the apps I've grown accustomed to with iPhone. Does BB have a good sports app that will push notify me scores of games I choose? Does BB have a good white & yellow pages app? Ustream? Yahoo messenger? Maps and directions?

I could care less about games. What I'm most concerned with is the internet browser on BB.
    We got apps of everything you mentioned. Our great browser hasn't come yet but you can use Bolt or Opera Mini as a replacement.
    04-07-10 03:19 PM
    The only thing that your berry will have difficulty to do compared to the iphone is gaming... For other things you can find something similar.
    04-07-10 03:22 PM
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but given that there as many (if not more - depending on the source) blackberries being sold currently as iphone's, why is it that developers are developing iphone apps like it's going out of style, while Blackberry is largely ignored?

As a former iphone user, that's my one disappointment (ok the browser too) about my bold 9000. I've got a few that I really like (Score, CBS News, Viigo) But few are actual native apps, most seem to be just a link to a mobile site.

For example - TSN (sports network in Canada) just launched a masters golf app, they also have a mobile blackberry site, but no app.

Thanks

Mark
    I just switched myself from iPhone to the 9000. Those are my two main gripes about BB as well. Love the phone though.
    04-07-10 04:17 PM
    This was a thread topic not long back. In it, I explain some of the reasons for the price / quality differences. As a consumer, it still seems annoying and unfair... but at least you can appreciate why it is the way it is.
    I just read your post in the other thread. Why is there so many free applications for iPhone then? So many great free programs that are all ad supported. Do you think there are many more users of these free apps on iPhone than there would be if they made one for the Blackberry?
    04-07-10 04:20 PM
    Developers see the potential market in the iPhone, also the Apple SDK is great compared to RIM's
    04-07-10 04:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD