Hey all, I was just wondering if the Blackberry App World is different for different carriers? I got AIM on my BB and my friend wanted it because he was impressed with how it worked. So I "Recommended" it to him and sent him the link through e-mail. He was able to download it and everything but when it came time for him to sign into him AIM SN it said, "This feature is not enabled on your device" or something like that. I have Verizon and he has AT&T. Does that make a different or is it just some fluke and maybe we should try again? Thanks
    04-07-09 01:05 PM
    Does he have a data plan? If not, that may be the problem.
    04-07-09 01:34 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks that app world sucks?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 03:04 PM
    They should make sure that they have the service books needed to run AIM. Until the middle of November last year, the BBs from AT&T didn't have the service books needed for AIM and had to manually switch out and add the service books needed.

04-07-09 07:26 PM
    @Aerophage, it not only sucks, it also sucks memory resources big time as well.

04-07-09 08:13 PM
    To pkcable: yes he has a data plan.
    To ArmaK: I will see today, I know how to do the service book thing on my BB (Verizon) I can't imagine it being that different from the AT&T BBs.
    04-08-09 11:24 AM
    Am I the only one who thinks that app world sucks?

No, you're not the only one. Hopefully RIM fine tunes it a little more and makes it better. Not really liking it as of right now.

04-08-09 11:28 AM
    @rameal999 - Yes, it does appear to be carrier specific, as well as location specific. For example, in Canada, we do not even see Pandora or Slacker available for download (as their services do not work in Canada).

However, regarding App World, the one nice thing about it, is that by centralizing the distribution of apps, hopefully this will attract more app designers to design apps for BBs as well. Apple has done a great job to create a buzz of excitement around the iPhone. The BlackBerry is an equally great (if not greater) phone, just with different strengths. The iPhone more as an entertainment device, and the BB as a communication/business application. The App World should help to bridge this gap.
    04-08-09 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD