Basically, from what I understand, unless I have BIS or BES I can't use facebook on my bold right? Even if I can use BBM, Windows Live Messenger and all that other stuff, I can't use the facebook app. I'm alright with that.

Thing is, I really miss being able to upload photos to facebook directly from my phone, like I could with my palm. Is there a workaround to this, like a browser that will work with the 9700 and will let me upload pictures via facebook web, or a Facebook app v1.5 that is modified to work with BB OS 5.x.x?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    05-07-10 08:04 PM
    You can't use BBM without BIS.
    05-07-10 08:09 PM
    I have my 9700 right here. Maybe it works differently in the US? I pay $9 for a basic plan that lets me use Windows Live Messenger (and Gtalk, etc), BBM and get my email for 10 accounts. But when I try to use the facebook app, it says I need a data plan. Sorry for not posting all the details when I made the thread
    05-07-10 08:13 PM
    BBM, email, Facebook and a few other apps do require a Blackberry Data Plan.... you can access email, but that is usually with a 3rd party app, not the native capabilities within the Blackberry. Where are you located? Must not be in the US.
    05-07-10 08:19 PM
    I live in El Salvador. All of the apps work perfectly (the native email, BBM, etc) except for FB. That's why I wanted to know if there was a "workaround", like a certain version of Opera Mini that works with the 9700 (which I haven't been able to find) or something like that.

Maybe there is something like Snaptu that works with the 9700? Because I've tried installing that, but it doesn't seem to appear on my applications folder after instalation. Although I'm not sure Snaptu let me upload pictures. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Mariux; 05-07-10 at 08:34 PM.
    05-07-10 08:23 PM
    I live in El Salvador. All of the apps work perfectly (the native email, BBM, etc) except for FB. That's why I wanted to know if there was a "workaround", like a certain version of Opera Mini that works with the 9700 (which I haven't been able to find) or something like that.
    Then your Provider down there in El Salvador must have some type of Blackberry Data Plan built into that $9 a month plan... seems strange to me... but I've not heard of any work around for Facebook, but I have a Blackberry Data Plan and don't worry about work around's.
    05-07-10 08:34 PM
    If you have Facebook Mobile set up, you should be able to email or MMS your pictures to FB from your phone. I find it so odd though that you have BBM/email but aren't able to use Facebook. I would look into that more if I was you, but then again maybe its where you're from.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-10 09:00 PM
    Do you have the BB icon next to the 3g or EDGE symbol? If yes then your phone sees BIS or BES. Under manage connections > service status, what do you have for BIS?

05-07-10 09:34 PM
    Do you have the BB icon next to the 3g or EDGE symbol? If yes then your phone sees BIS or BES. Under manage connections > service status, what do you have for BIS?

I do have the BB symbol next to the 3G, but on service status it says "BIS: Not connected"

Heh. But I did look into the email option, and it seems like that'll be my best bet! TYVM!
    05-07-10 11:12 PM
    Basically, from what I understand, unless I have BIS or BES I can't use facebook on my bold right? Even if I can use BBM, Windows Live Messenger and all that other stuff, I can't use the facebook app. I'm alright with that.

Thing is, I really miss being able to upload photos to facebook directly from my phone, like I could with my palm. Is there a workaround to this, like a browser that will work with the 9700 and will let me upload pictures via facebook web, or a Facebook app v1.5 that is modified to work with BB OS 5.x.x?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Some carriers have plans where you get unlimited email, social networking like msn messenger, yahoo messenger, google talk etc etc for a lower price than the regular BIS Unlimited service that offers you all of the above things as your 9$ plan but it also offers unlimited web surfing, facebook app needs internet to connect so if you are able to use your web browser and surf then FB should work.
    05-09-10 05:12 AM
    If your blackberry has wi-fi, you can do a lot, you can do Facebook, Twitter, search, IM and more with free apps that run over wi-fi. The only thing I have not been able to do is to upload photos.
    Still, if you are interested in taking a look at the free apps I have found to work over wi-fi take a look at my blog post.
    Juan Riano Blog Archive Free Blackberry apps that run over Wi-Fi
    Last edited by jriano; 05-18-10 at 02:52 AM.
    05-18-10 02:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD