Ok so i downloaded Pandora the other day and then a few hours later im lookin at my apps and Bing downloaded itself... whats going on here?
    12-23-09 12:57 AM
    Are you sure its the actual app? Its only a launcher that takes you to the website to download it. Verizon has included that with there uesless crap they push to your phone. Theres no way to delete and I just hid it.
    12-23-09 01:00 AM
    Don't install it. It bricked my tour and many others. Just put it in a folder and/or hide it and forget it.
    12-23-09 08:11 AM
    Verizon pushed Bing to you not Pandora. I can't figure out why I need an app to do what my browser. Gimme a break Verizon...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 09:23 AM
    I wish VZW would stop pushing crap already.
    I don't want anything on my BB I don't choose myself, and not being able to get rid of it is even more aggravating. I hide it, but it bugs me knowing it's still there. We're eventually going to be bogged down in "stuff".
    12-23-09 09:50 AM
    Verizon pushed Bing to you not Pandora. I can't figure out why I need an app to do what my browser. Gimme a break Verizon...

Just an FYI. The bing app is not a browser. It works like poynt.

12-23-09 12:10 PM
    Many different providers, manufacturers, etc. do this and for all kinds of electronic devices even software. Think about how much crap came along with your last computer. Ever pop a utility cd-rom into your computer and it asks to install AOL or Adobe software, etc? Its ridiculous... What I don't get is what VZW might be getting out of the deal? Microsoft/BING in on it with them of course, but VZW wouldn't include a launcher like that without some incentive or agreement. Right?

I just hide the thing...
    12-23-09 12:19 PM
    As much as I like my Tour I wish vzw would stop this BS, I don't think this happened on my palm
    12-23-09 02:46 PM
    Don't install it. It bricked my tour and many others. Just put it in a folder and/or hide it and forget it.
    Bing works fine on my phone and the maps actually finds my location faster than bbmaps or Google maps.
    12-23-09 03:31 PM
    Thanks everyone! I'll be stepping into Android platform soon anyways
    12-24-09 09:05 AM
    I didn't like the bing surprise. Is there a way to completely delete the bing install icon. I've have enough Mr Softy on my PC, I don't want my bb violated too. Is there a way I can stop them from pushing app crap?

12-24-09 10:28 AM
    I didn't like the bing surprise. Is there a way to completely delete the bing install icon. I've have enough Mr Softy on my PC, I don't want my bb violated too. Is there a way I can stop them from pushing app crap?

The easiest answer is no.
    12-24-09 12:24 PM
    Get the new SearchIt app by Shao (BB expert), combine it w/QuickLaunch and you're all set!!!
    12-24-09 12:33 PM
    I totally understand and commiserate with the frustrating of pushed icons. That said, I can hide them all in about 20 seconds on my S2 and never need to think twice about them again (until I install a new theme, and spend another 20 seconds hiding).

The PC analogy is a little different: I can always go into my applications folder and move to trash anything I don't want on my Macs. Likewise through CP on PC. What gets me is those sneaky little browser "toolbars" that you explicitly have to opt out of when you install Yahoo!, etc on a PC. I get more complaints of "my PC is running soooo slow", only to respond and find the user has like 5 silly toolbars installed. My New Year's resolution is to come in early on N.Y. Day and change everyone's user account rights. That or I'll start blocking via OpenDNS or @ the edge itself.
    12-24-09 12:39 PM
    I actually don't mind the Bing app. It is useful at times.
    12-24-09 12:48 PM
    I think the bing app is pretty useful. It loads maps much faster than google maps and bb maps also it searches faster too, imo. What I don't understand is, if microsoft and rim don't reall get along why would they let ms push an app to there phone.

12-24-09 12:54 PM
    Just an FYI. The bing app is not a browser. It works like poynt.

I wasn't forced upon Bing, I was actually looking for a new navigation app because I don't like Where or Poynt. Not only does it have nav, it has maps (and the best maps I have used). So now it's my nav and maps.

So I am all for this Bing app.
    12-24-09 01:32 PM
    I think the bing app is pretty useful. It loads maps much faster than google maps and bb maps also it searches faster too, imo. What I don't understand is, if microsoft and rim don't reall get along why would they let ms push an app to there phone.

Agreed.

But it's a Verizon thing, not Bing, if I am correct.
    12-24-09 01:33 PM
    Not sure why everyone is so bent out of shape about the Bing icon getting pushed. Flickr, Facebook, MySpace and IM stuff have been on my Tour (and hidden) since day one. How hard is it to hide one more icon? I actually like the app anyhow.
    12-24-09 02:22 PM
    I like Bing too.. much faster then Google maps is
    12-24-09 02:32 PM
    Not sure why everyone is so bent out of shape about the Bing icon getting pushed. Flickr, Facebook, MySpace and IM stuff have been on my Tour (and hidden) since day one. How hard is it to hide one more icon? I actually like the app anyhow.
    I think the bigger issue is that Verizon has also replaced Google in the Browser's Search facility and you cannot opt to dump Bing.
    12-24-09 06:19 PM
    I like bing. Does multiple things so u would have less apps freeing up memory. I think its a good thing

12-24-09 06:29 PM
    I think the bigger issue is that Verizon has also replaced Google in the Browser's Search facility and you cannot opt to dump Bing.
    +1
    The issue is we were not given a choice.

Message to and Response from Verizon Tech Support...
    Q: Why did Bing! install icon appear on my bb tour without my consent to install? How do I delete the icon? How can I prevent future pushes of unwanted app icons?

A:

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. I am sorry to learn that you are having difficulty with your Verizon Wireless service, and am eager to assist you with information regarding this issue.

We're a proud supporter of Microsoft's Bing search engine. As you have already experienced, on a couple of select Smartphone�s (Storm 2 the most prominent), we've changed the VZW-supplied web menu to make Bing the default search engine. If you prefer another search engine, simply type in the URL of the search engine you prefer, mark it as a "favorite".

Regarding the ability to opt-out of receiving updates for your device from Verizon Wireless and RIM, there is not a way to do so. However, when you receive the request to accept the update, you are able to hide the icon that populates as a result of the request. When you have followed the below instructions, you will no longer see the request to update your device. Please see, below:

Hiding Icons:
    1. From the Home screen, press the Menu button.
    2. Highlight the desired icon (e.g. Browser) then press the Menu button.
    3. Select Hide.

Un-hiding Icons:
    1. From the Home screen, press the Menu button.
    2. Highlight any visible icon (e.g. Messages) then press the Menu button.
    3. Ensure Show All is enabled. If necessary, select Show All to enable the option. A Checkmarked box indicates that the option is enabled. If Show All is not available, there are no icons currently hidden.
    4. Highlight the hidden icon (e.g. Browser) then press the Menu button. A hidden icon will appear gray and transparent.
    5. Select Hide to disable the option. A Checkmarked box indicates that the option is enabled.

After reviewing your account and features, we have refreshed all the system settings and have noted that you need to do your *228 feature, option 2, now and approximately every 30 days, hereafter (though it has been updated as recently as 12/12/2009, it is currently outdated):

1. Please dial *228 into your phone and send like a phone call. Choose option 2 when prompted.
    2. Listen for the intercept to tell you when this has been accomplished, successfully.
    3. If the phone does not reset itself, automatically, please turn it off and turn it back on, manually.
    4. Make a test call.

I hope that you find this information helpful, as it has been a pleasure assisting you today. I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your concerns and sincerely hope that you feel I have done that today. Should you feel your current concerns are not fully resolved, please call us at 1-800-922-0204 from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., and we will happily address them for you. In addition, you may find various self-help options at Welcome to Verizon Wireless Support - Verizon Wireless Support. Also, more helpful information pertaining to the function of your Verizon Wireless Blackberry device can be found at Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at I appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

If I dial *228 and choose option 2 when prompted, will I be drinking the Bing Koolaid?
    12-24-09 06:54 PM
    Ah yes, good point. It hasn't happened to me yet. Probably just a matter of time.

12-24-09 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD