Hello there,

I've got a speedometer application that i would like to get a few people to test for me. if theres anybody interested ill send them the link.

its currently at a fairly stable stage i think, really just want to check that the screen fits on all screens etc. but any other sugestions would be great.

features of the app are
    speed, average speed, distance, time, elevation, gradient, total climb, history, profile graph, maps.

features which will eventually get in there but not in the first relase are.
    ghost(race against) previous trip. power estimates. calories burned estimate, any other ideas welcomed
    07-05-10 03:16 AM
    Updates for the app are on twitter at BBSpeedOMeter. i'm puttin up some screen shots shortly.
    07-05-10 03:18 AM
    Il give it a shot.
    07-05-10 03:42 AM
    Oh yes min o/s is 4.5
    07-05-10 04:02 AM
    I'd love to test it out.
    BlackBerry Curve 8330m running 4.5.0.186 on sprint.
    Will this work for longboarding too? jk

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-10 11:25 AM
    Count me in

07-05-10 11:52 AM
    I would like to test it
    07-05-10 04:24 PM
    So the speed measuring seems to be working great. Took this while I was longboarding, I got up to 21 but didn't get a shot of it
    utf-8BUUxfMTA3NTMzMzIyLmpwZw.jpg picture by Scrid2000 - Photobucket

I get an error message though when I try to open the map:
    utf-8BUUxfMTA3NTMyODI1LmpwZw.jpg picture by Scrid2000 - Photobucket

and the profile puts a weird spreadsheet type thing in there:
    utf-8BUUxfMTA3NTMyODQ2LmpwZw.jpg picture by Scrid2000 - Photobucket

One other thing: it doesn't like walking speed (shows it as 0) but I'm not sure if that's an app problem or a satelite problem (I'm guessing satelite though).

All in all, works good; I've been looking for a decent speedometer app.

07-05-10 04:59 PM
    So the speed measuring seems to be working great. Took this while I was longboarding, I got up to 21 but didn't get a shot of it

I get an error message though when I try to open the map:

and the profile puts a weird spreadsheet type thing in there:

One other thing: it doesn't like walking speed (shows it as 0) but I'm not sure if that's an app problem or a satelite problem (I'm guessing satelite though).

All in all, works good; I've been looking for a decent speedometer app.

thanks for the feedback there!

I dont have the code with me today so i cant say for certain if any of the problems are problems with the app or the device.

the error message with the map; the map uses the build in blackberry maps so you would need blackberry maps for this to work. also the o/s must be 4.5 or later.

the profile graph needs a bit of work, basically the way it is now works for cyclists if your going to be cycling more than 20 or 30 miles. i dont have a picture of it now to post but the way it works is; its a graph with meters on the y axis and miles or km on the x axis(depending on your settings) the x axis is broken up into 5 mile segments and the distance/elevation is denoted with a yellow line. i think 5 miles is set to 0.22 times the width of the screen, so the graph becomes scrollable if you go over 25 miles. the main background of the profile is black and the gray ruler for meters follows the horizontal scroll along the x axis. so if you look closely on your picture i think you can see a very small yellow line up around 1500 meters. i need to stretch this for smaller distances.

walking speed; i've made some changes around this but i havent really tested them while actually walking. it should work tho. they way this works is; gps is only accurate to x meters so while stationary it gives you different locations within a couple of meters so it looks like your moving around in a little circle and thus not doing 0 mph. the way the app works is if you are doing less than 1 mph it says 0, or if you do less than 4mph and any of the previous 4 readings were under 1mph it says 0. (a reading is done every second). but i'm sure you were walking more than 1mph so ill have to test that one out.

i did notice too that the time on your screen shot was 17 odd hours. that looks to be an error too unless you set your devices clock half way thru?
    07-06-10 02:31 AM
    Looked pretty good on my end, (Tour 9630). Speed was accurate, I cant really measure grade but i went up a hill and the % went up lol. Distance was accurate as well. Nice work!
    07-06-10 02:34 AM
    Looked pretty good on my end, (Tour 9630). Speed was accurate, I cant really measure grade but i went up a hill and the % went up lol. Distance was accurate as well. Nice work!

0-2% gradient is flat to a slight drag
    2-7% is a nice hill that you can pedal up ok maybe not even going into the first gear
    7-12% is that kind of hill where you feel sorry for yourself, sometimes even maybe whimper and want to turn around and go home
    12-15% is where you actually start crying
    anything over 15% is where you catch upto someone who's walking but cant quite get past them
    25% is about the max any hill can be i think

calculated as rise/run * 100. rise is the diff in altitude, run is the horizontal distance, in the app this is calculated after the first 30 seconds, every second as an average gradient of 5 overlapping segments within the previous 30 seconds.... if that makes sense. basically its the average gradient of the previous 30 seconds
    07-06-10 03:21 AM
    thanks for the feedback there!

I dont have the code with me today so i cant say for certain if any of the problems are problems with the app or the device.

the error message with the map; the map uses the build in blackberry maps so you would need blackberry maps for this to work. also the o/s must be 4.5 or later.

the profile graph needs a bit of work, basically the way it is now works for cyclists if your going to be cycling more than 20 or 30 miles. i dont have a picture of it now to post but the way it works is; its a graph with meters on the y axis and miles or km on the x axis(depending on your settings) the x axis is broken up into 5 mile segments and the distance/elevation is denoted with a yellow line. i think 5 miles is set to 0.22 times the width of the screen, so the graph becomes scrollable if you go over 25 miles. the main background of the profile is black and the gray ruler for meters follows the horizontal scroll along the x axis. so if you look closely on your picture i think you can see a very small yellow line up around 1500 meters. i need to stretch this for smaller distances.

walking speed; i've made some changes around this but i havent really tested them while actually walking. it should work tho. they way this works is; gps is only accurate to x meters so while stationary it gives you different locations within a couple of meters so it looks like your moving around in a little circle and thus not doing 0 mph. the way the app works is if you are doing less than 1 mph it says 0, or if you do less than 4mph and any of the previous 4 readings were under 1mph it says 0. (a reading is done every second). but i'm sure you were walking more than 1mph so ill have to test that one out.

i did notice too that the time on your screen shot was 17 odd hours. that looks to be an error too unless you set your devices clock half way thru?
    My bad, yeah I forgot to mention that the clock was off. No, my clock is set to update according to Sprint (and while their cs does kinda suck, they can tell time ). Every time I start bbspeedometer the clock resets to 1700.
    Thanks for the walking fix!

07-06-10 09:04 AM
    thanks to everyone for the feedback on the forum and thru email. couple of bugs to sort out and it should be up on the mobihand/handango/crackberry stores in a couple of days. probably wont be any major changes compared to this beta version, maybe one or two gui changes like shading in the profile graph and a little bit of work on the map. i'll post the link when its up. anyone who's beta tested for me is welcome to a free version so after i post the link give me a pm or email and ill pm you back a free version.
    07-08-10 05:58 AM
    If you still need beta testers, I'm interested. I have 9700 running 5.0 OS.
    07-08-10 11:48 AM
    I know you're finalizing this and about to release it, but I was just riding and using it, and I thought a pause feature would be nice when/if you do an upgrade.
    PS - I now know that it's a half mile to the store from my apartment and I averaged 12mph on my longboard, top speed 16mph.

07-08-10 07:16 PM
    Will you be able to save settings to the SD Card? I'd like to give this a shot and see if it works for kayaking. Thanks!
    07-08-10 07:32 PM
    Will you be able to save settings to the SD Card? I'd like to give this a shot and see if it works for kayaking. Thanks!
    Kayaking with a BlackBerry? That's freaking awesome! I'd be too paranoid that it'd get wet.

07-08-10 07:35 PM
    I use a waterproof ipod holder. It has a headphone jack and everything. GPS is excellent while boating! Better than a compass.
    07-08-10 08:54 PM
    We ride all over and this would be an excellent app for us. How do we get the d/l?
    07-08-10 09:04 PM
    We ride all over and this would be an excellent app for us. How do we get the d/l?
    I think this is the answer to your question :

thanks to everyone for the feedback on the forum and thru email. couple of bugs to sort out and it should be up on the mobihand/handango/crackberry stores in a couple of days. probably wont be any major changes compared to this beta version, maybe one or two gui changes like shading in the profile graph and a little bit of work on the map. i'll post the link when its up.
    07-08-10 09:09 PM
    i think i should employ scrid2000 to do my customer service, he seems to have all the answers! the pause function - there is an auto pause in there already. i'm not going to be able put in a proper pause button for the moment, its easy put in there but it'll throw up too many bugs i think for the moment. i'll do it as a kind of patch release a week or so after i get the first one done.
    07-09-10 02:14 AM
    I'm not sure what you mean by save settings to the SDCard. At the moment everything gets saved to the device memory.

Settings such as unit of measure (miles/km, meters/feet) and screen settings (font etc) just get saved to the device memory.

The history (all the previous trips) also get saved to the device memory.

Originally all this information was being stored on files in the SDCard but this worked out much too slow.

If its the trip data you mean and not the settings, i could add an option to write out the trip data in KML(google earth) format to the SDCard. this function was in there previously but a computer crash resulted in that being lost.
    07-09-10 02:19 AM
    To the people who requested a beta version, that version is gone now and the next version will be the paid version on the app stores. Sorry about this. but it will be a cheap app. i'll probably start it at around 5-6$ but it'll be half price for the first month. all the profits from this or any other app i'm working on (none at the moment but there will be in the next couple of months) will just go to charity anyway so hopefully you wont mind paying the couple of dollars. As you can see from the colors on bbspeedometer at the moment im thinking the first 3 months will goto livestrong. I'm thinking of putting an option in there then that will allow you to vote once for a charity of your choosing and whichever one gets the most votes in a quarter(3 months :P) will get it. Theres only a couple of hundreds dollars per year out of these kind of apps anyway by the time handango/mobihand take their cut.
    For anyone who doesnt want to pay or who cant afford to even, there will be a version 2 (3 really) and the beta period for this will be much longer, as ive seen from this experiment that its a very usefull stage. So once i get this version out ill start working on the next one and hopefully in a month or so there'll be a test version again(a bit slow i know but ive got a real job too)
    07-09-10 02:30 AM
    i think i should employ scrid2000 to do my customer service, he seems to have all the answers! the pause function - there is an auto pause in there already. i'm not going to be able put in a proper pause button for the moment, its easy put in there but it'll throw up too many bugs i think for the moment. i'll do it as a kind of patch release a week or so after i get the first one done.
    Lol, sure I'll do the customer service, I have a lot of student loans to pay off
    Good to know about the auto pause; i was stopped at a light yesterday, and i thought "this is gonna kill my average speed" lol
    07-09-10 11:08 AM
    I would love to beta test for you.

Curve 8330 4.5 US Cellular
    07-09-10 11:27 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD