05-03-12 08:28 AM
926 ... 2324252627 ...
tools
    Just a reminder to some of you that this product is still in beta. Beta users get to use the app free, but are also guinea pigs while the bugs get worked out. An extra complication is that Crackberry announced this beta on the blog and it has overwhelmed the developer's servers on numerous occasions. They have since updated their servers and have tried to accomodate everyone who has asked to beta test it. Now, I too have had my share of frustrations with this app, but I think it is now finally close to release. I would never recommend counting on the utility of a beta application (in this case an alarm). The whole point is to test the app out. If you are relying on this alarm solely to wake you up, then I have some swamp land to sell you. If you want an app that is problem free then wait for the final version to come out or purchase something else.

I had the same problem this morning with the alarm going off and no means of turning it off. I used Quicklaunch's reset device and was able to stop it after the reboot. Since this appears to be a fairly universal experience, there is probably some explanation for it.
    Well stated. Beta users would do well to take this to heart.
    04-04-11 03:23 PM
    Just a reminder to some of you that this product is still in beta. Beta users get to use the app free, but are also guinea pigs while the bugs get worked out. An extra complication is that Crackberry announced this beta on the blog and it has overwhelmed the developer's servers on numerous occasions. They have since updated their servers and have tried to accomodate everyone who has asked to beta test it. Now, I too have had my share of frustrations with this app, but I think it is now finally close to release. I would never recommend counting on the utility of a beta application (in this case an alarm). The whole point is to test the app out. If you are relying on this alarm solely to wake you up, then I have some swamp land to sell you. If you want an app that is problem free then wait for the final version to come out or purchase something else.

I had the same problem this morning with the alarm going off and no means of turning it off. I used Quicklaunch's reset device and was able to stop it after the reboot. Since this appears to be a fairly universal experience, there is probably some explanation for it.
    Well said BB Musketeers.

No complaints here. This is the first time I've joined a beta test group, and I'm really enjoying the experience. I'm also very impressed at how quickly piwh1000 and his team have made changes/updates to the app based on feedback from the group.

Props to the entire Wakeful team for all the hard work they put into this so far and for putting up with us crashing their servers numerous times

I know they're going to have a great app once all the bugs are worked out.
    04-04-11 05:42 PM
    This is why you beta test before you release!
    04-04-11 05:53 PM
    Alarm went off on time this morning but since I was listening to the news on TuneIn it got a bit confusing. The volume on Wakeful was louder than TuneIn and it sounded like Wakeful put TuneIn in the background a bit. I did notice that the news Wakeful was giving me was from yesterday's despite the correct date. Hit snooze and when it went off again, it gave me the updated news.
    04-04-11 06:15 PM
    Wakeful has awoken me flawlessly for a week. 4 days at the same time - not setting it each nigjt.. And a few with setting it for diff times. Test works fine. Just set it for weekdays only.. See what happens come saturday. Until then I am goinggto mess with turning it on and off some days n such.

Great app.. Has come a long way! Good work !

Still have the wierd cosmetic glitch when setting a new time.. Ill resend a screenshot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-11 06:34 PM
    I finally deleted and reinstalled the most recent version.
    Mine went off this morning at the set time for the first time since I installed the most recent version.
    I did get the pop up.
    I did have my native bb alarm set for 5 mins later. It went off as on time.

Let's see what tomorrow morning brings.
    Good Luck
    04-04-11 08:38 PM
    Okay so here's the problems I have with the beta...

My alarm is set for 7 a.m. on weekdays, it went off this morning with the same April Fool's joke from last Friday(which is still pretty funny). Also, for some random reason I have a sun icon on the top of my home screen, a sun icon... is this a mayan calendar? is the world ending?, I tried clicking on it...no info...nothing happened, so I deleted Wakeful and it disappeared! :O, reinstalled the newest version and it reappeared again! I'm starting to wonder if my phone thinks April Fools lasts an entire month.

I love Wakeful! can't wait for the final version! =]
    04-04-11 10:18 PM
    NICE wallpaper!
    04-04-11 11:39 PM

Yeh, you're right. I was in a very pissy mood today. Sorry
    04-04-11 11:58 PM
    Hi Everyone. Sorry I've been MIA! I haven't had a chance to read everyone's post on here, we've been up to our eyeballs in code! So just to give everyone an update, after upgrading our infrastructure and hardware, we've realized that it's only going to solve some of the issues. Our servers are getting hammered during peak times because a large number of people have their alarms set at similar times.

To resolve this issue we are essentially optimizing the server to handle more connections without bogging down our resources. It should help with the load but we're still not 100% sure if it will fix all of the server-side issues until it's launched. We are hoping to have it launched today... There will be no new download it will just all be server side. I'll let everyone know here when it's launched!

We appreciate everyone giving up their time to help test our application...
    trucky, andyahs, pkcable and 2 others like this.
    04-05-11 07:01 AM
    Mine worked flawlessly this morning, maybe being an early riser on the east coast helps...

Thanks for a great app.
    04-05-11 07:07 AM
    No go at 7:45 ET or 8ET, log sent
    04-05-11 08:50 AM
    Well, good news and bad news.

For the first time in while, my device did not lock up when the alarm dialog was dialog was completed. That's the good news.

The bad news, the alarm dialog was yesterday afternoon's date, time, and weather. I can only guess it was yesterday's news, also. There was also no popup with the OK/SNOOZE option.

Log sent...
    04-05-11 08:57 AM
    Well, good news and bad news.

For the first time in while, my device did not lock up when the alarm dialog was dialog was completed. That's the good news.

The bad news, the alarm dialog was yesterday afternoon's date, time, and weather. I can only guess it was yesterday's news, also. There was also no popup with the OK/SNOOZE option.

Log sent...
    got the right date and time but no "snooze" or "stop" pop-pop.....
    04-05-11 09:18 AM
    Okay so here's the problems I have with the beta...

Also, for some random reason I have a sun icon on the top of my home screen, a sun icon... is this a mayan calendar? is the world ending?, I tried clicking on it...no info...nothing happened, so I deleted Wakeful and it disappeared! :O, reinstalled the newest version and it reappeared again! I'm starting to wonder if my phone thinks April Fools lasts an entire month.

You do know that the sun icon shows that your alarm is set? We all have that little set when we have the Wakeful alarm set. But it could also mean that the world is ending.
    04-05-11 09:32 AM
    You do know that the sun icon shows that your alarm is set? We all have that little set when we have the Wakeful alarm set. But it could also mean that the world is ending.
    hahahahahahaha!!!! the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!
    04-05-11 09:49 AM
    Again this morning, the alarm went off at the correct tiem but told me it was yesterday and gave me yesterdays info. No button to turn it off had to do a battery pull yet again...getting ready to trashcan this app if itsn't going to wrk on a regular basis. After getting up and a couple hours later and doing a test of it it then has the right day and time. Beta testing is something but this didnt happen until they released the latest update. Come on folks nice app and idea but if it isnt trust worhty and work right it is useless....
    04-05-11 10:23 AM
    Again this morning, the alarm went off at the correct tiem but told me it was yesterday and gave me yesterdays info. No button to turn it off had to do a battery pull yet again...getting ready to trashcan this app if itsn't going to wrk on a regular basis. After getting up and a couple hours later and doing a test of it it then has the right day and time. Beta testing is something but this didnt happen until they released the latest update. Come on folks nice app and idea but if it isnt trust worhty and work right it is useless....
    Dude, chill. It is a BETA. It is not expected to work perfectly during testing. By failing in a task, you learn where the issues are. Give 'em time. Something like Wakeful, to my knowledge, has not been tried before. There are bound to be unforeseen issues. They'll get it working, then you can say YOU helped them develop it with your CONSTRUCTIVE critiques.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    04-05-11 10:31 AM
    You signed up to be a BETA tester so help get the product ready.
    04-05-11 10:43 AM
    What is a Beta?

The term "beta" refers to a piece of software or web application that's still being developed. Expect problems with betas and you won't be surprised, but enjoy the thrill of being among the first to use a new bit of software.

If you don't like those kinds of thrills wait until the software is "out of" beta.
    pkcable and evil.bunny like this.
    04-05-11 11:17 AM
    Lol. The little sun in the notification bar means the alarm is set. Set the alarm to 'never' and the sun icon goes away.

today was the first day since the new release that my alarm failed to go off. Its difficult to know if the problem is with the app or the servers, which I consider two separate issues.

May I suggest that in the Frequency setting, you change 'never' to 'off'. Off seems to make more sense.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Last edited by ba_hamilton; 04-05-11 at 02:53 PM.
    dollface likes this.
    04-05-11 02:23 PM
    I also would like to see an option to change the length of Snooze, most alarms I have used give you this option, with a pull down box set to every minutes up to say 30 minutes, or just a box that you can fill in the amount of minutes for your Snooze.
    04-05-11 03:10 PM
    Looks like the update to 1.0.7.7 killed it for me. No problems until the update, and it didn't work ever since... Logs sent..
    04-05-11 03:33 PM
    Alright guys! New server code is up and ready to take a beating. I've stressed tested this bad boy with 1,000 concurrent connections. So we're really hoping we can withstand the sheer amount of users that are hitting our servers, now.

After reading some of the posts above about receiving yesterdays news or not being able to shut it off properly after the 1.0.7.7 update, we have concluded that it is somewhat related to our server. Basically, if the application was unable to download the latest audio, it accidentally fell back on the last stored audio (which could have been yesterday or even a week ago if you have it set infrequently). This is causing a number of problems with not be able to shut it off because it thinks there is no audio....

I'm hopeful that this new server change will fix everyone's current issues! We're about to do a new mailout which will be the ultimate test on our servers. Let us know if you're test alarm button stops working.
    andyahs likes this.
    04-05-11 03:57 PM
    Ready to test!!
    04-05-11 05:08 PM
926 ... 2324252627 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD