We have been testing various female voices. Most of them are not nearly as clear as the current male voice. If the voice has problems saying some words, would this be enough to force you not to use the product?
    03-18-11 09:59 AM
    We have been testing various female voices. Most of them are not nearly as clear as the current male voice. If the voice has problems saying some words, would this be enough to force you not to use the product?
    All that matters is if she can accurately say "pkcable"!

As long as we have the option to choose the male one if the female one annoys us too much, I think it would be worth it. Always nice to have options. If you are taking away the male voice to give only the female voice, that's a more difficult call especially since we don't know how bad it is without hearing it.

Looking forward to the update!
    03-18-11 10:03 AM
    All that matters is if she can accurately say "pkcable"!

As long as we have the option to choose the male one if the female one annoys us too much, I think it would be worth it. Always nice to have options. If you are taking away the male voice to give only the female voice, that's a more difficult call especially since we don't know how bad it is without hearing it.

Looking forward to the update!
    Actually if we can get a female voice I'm changing my name to "sexy"
    03-18-11 10:24 AM
    Instead of voice choice, I think the better thing would be volume control really. That is the biggest thing for me. That thing is pretty loud. It don't matter the voice really as long as it's not to loud.
    03-18-11 10:31 AM
    Instead of voice choice, I think the better thing would be volume control really. That is the biggest thing for me. That thing is pretty loud. It don't matter the voice really as long as it's not to loud.
    What, would might be an interesting feature, if it's technologically possible, would be for the voice to get progressively louder as it goes, so if I don't wake up, at first it tries a bit louder the next time, etc. Then after about 10 times it should scream "GET OUT OF BED <cuss word edited out>"
    03-18-11 11:50 AM
    What, would might be an interesting feature, if it's technologically possible, would be for the voice to get progressively louder as it goes, so if I don't wake up, at first it tries a bit louder the next time, etc. Then after about 10 times it should scream "GET OUT OF BED <cuss word edited out>"
    Not sure if this is possible, but it is a good idea. Kinda like the volume options (Silent, 1- 10, Escalating).

I've been thinking about the multiple alarm request, and I've decided I probably wouldn't use it. I know others here like the idea, but I'll withdraw my vote for that one. ;-)

Snooze would be great. I've fallen victim to the snooze spiral (sadly).

Overall this is a solid product and works very well for me. I can't wait to see how things continue to develop.

One thing that is very reassuring is how far along this app was for a beta. Seems most of the suggestions in this thread have been of the 'fine tuning' type...which is a wonderful place to be starting from as developers.

Cheers!
    03-18-11 01:06 PM
    No reason it shouldn't be possible. You can set the volumecontrol level using the api. So if you are incrementing for each playback, you just increment the setlevel.
    03-18-11 01:20 PM
    I have no problems with the voice now. It is clear and easy to understand. Personally I would not use an alarm snooze feature. This app is working very well for me now. I get the weather report every morning. That comes across first. After I listen to the weather I get up and turn it off so I'm not really aware of what else it does.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-18-11 01:23 PM
    BIG feature request of mine, and I believe it is coming would be selectable content. Different news sources (business, consumer, entertainment, sports, etc), maybe some additional weather options extended forecast, add 1 additional city for commuters, and traffic info. And of course it should all be selectable, as not everyone wants the same options, so give us a website or BB menu where we can edit our profile to pick the options.
    03-18-11 01:36 PM
    No reason it shouldn't be possible. You can set the volumecontrol level using the api. So if you are incrementing for each playback, you just increment the setlevel.
    I figured as much, but I develop themes not apps so I wasn't really sure.
    03-18-11 01:42 PM
    New Beta is being emailed out. For anyone curious what features were added:

1. Snooze Option: For all of you who hate getting up in the morning, the much requested Snooze button has been added.

2. Female Voice: A new female voice was added to the mix to make your mornings a little more enjoyable. Just visit Account Settings to change your voice preference.

3. Volume Control: Now you can wake up without Wakeful screaming at you!

4. Background process: Instead of Wakeful running all of the time, it only runs when it needs to. This hides it from the Task Switcher and is really good on the old battery life.

5. Power up feature: If you turn off your BlackBerry at night, Wakeful will turn your phone back on right before your alarm is going to go off.

6. Test Alarm: If you want to show off Wakeful to your friends without changing your alarm there is a now a Test Alarm button.

7. Auto-update: This version will now auto-update if there is a newer version of Wakeful.
    03-18-11 02:23 PM

1. Snooze Option: For all of you who hate getting up in the morning, the much requested Snooze button has been added.

2. Female Voice: A new female voice was added to the mix to make your mornings a little more enjoyable. Just visit Account Settings to change your voice preference.

4. Background process: Instead of Wakeful running all of the time, it only runs when it needs to. This hides it from the Task Switcher and is really good on the old battery life.

5. Power up feature: If you turn off your BlackBerry at night, Wakeful will turn your phone back on right before your alarm is going to go off.

6. Test Alarm: If you want to show off Wakeful to your friends without changing your alarm there is a now a Test Alarm button.

7. Auto-update: This version will now auto-update if there is a newer version of Wakeful.
    Sounds outstanding! Can't wait to load it up...
    03-18-11 02:29 PM
    Nice, first time loading this up. Will try this weekend.

Just got in the beta team to try it out.

Keep you posted.
    03-18-11 02:36 PM
    Nice, first time loading this up. Will try this weekend.

Just got in the beta team to try it out.

Keep you posted.
    Would love to hear your feedback.
    03-18-11 02:39 PM
    Hey thx for the update but the female voice didn't work with me I chose it in the account settings and click update then tested the alarm and it was the voice of the guy but the sound control worked

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-11 02:51 PM
    Great update so far but also not able to get the female voice to speak to me!! Volume control is nice too!
    03-18-11 02:54 PM
    +1 +1 on the female voice. Couldn't get it to work either. However, Volume Control worked perfectly, and no icon in the app switcher is also a plus.

Requests still pending, from my point of view:
    The Female Voice
    Selectable Feeds (Weather, News, Sports, etc.)
    -- Not sure how doable this is, but it would be nice!

This app is coming along *very* nicely!
    03-18-11 03:05 PM
    Sounds outstanding! Can't wait to load it up...

You nailed it my friend. I was just playing with it and it seems cool. I set the volume to 40% and it's more than enough. Loving the background feature too. I will have to see tomorrow when the wife hears it in the morning when she wakes up. She's the one that hates it the most haha. But I love it.
    03-18-11 03:07 PM
    Hummm... I'm able to reproduce this problem too. Looks like the female voice isn't currently working, but maybe a server side issue.
    03-18-11 03:10 PM

Ouch.... I haven't received a email..... yet???
    And this build sounds so damn good....
    Anything on a home screen icon, when the alarm is set?
    03-18-11 03:12 PM
    Yep.. No female voice.. On 'test alarm' nor an actual alarm. Snooze worked great. And the touchups on the ui look great. Volume works great too.. All I needed was that extra 20% lower..lol.

03-18-11 03:57 PM
    Hello,
    My 2 cents:
    - love the changes in the v. 2
    - female does not want to talk to me, I believe it is her brother waking me up
    - I like the temperature given in both Celcius and Fahrenheit (as Fahrenheit doesn't tell me a thing), but the wind is given only in mph, which makes me do the maths in the very morning; could it also be read in kmh?

03-18-11 04:02 PM
    Ouch.... I haven't received a email..... yet???
    And this build sounds so damn good....
    Anything on a home screen icon, when the alarm is set?
    Check your spam - it may be in there.
    03-18-11 04:10 PM
    Check your spam - it may be in there.
    I did, that was the second place I checked, right after
    checking my regular email.
    03-18-11 04:17 PM
    I did, that was the second place I checked, right after
    checking my regular email.
    Just PMed you.
    03-18-11 04:22 PM
926 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD