I'm a little lost here. Full disclosure: I am a QuickLaunch user.

How would this be a better option than QL which gives you the ability to create
    seemingly limitless shortcuts in one app and also has "multi-click" for both
    convenience keys.

I assure you, this question is NOT meant to pit one app against the other. I
    simply don't get the point of this (again from a QL user standpoint)
    I see your point; I would be interested in a multi-tap (or click for me lol) because it would help me to keep my home screen less cluttered, by allowing me to put, for example, bolt browser as a double click on opera mini. It just keeps things nice and tidy.

I'm also a quicklaunch user; this by no means will take the place of quicklaunch. However, I find myself mainly using quicklaunch to switch between apps. This will be perfect for the bottom dock of my personal homemade today screen theme.

No way I could give up quicklaunch tho.
    05-29-10 11:00 PM
    @LSphone Thank you for that detailed explanation.

I really do apologize if my question came across the wrong way. I simply did not
    understand but I can definitely see your point of it being an adjunct to some other
    shortcut apps.
    05-30-10 12:53 AM
    That is precisely, exactly, how I would have it working if I knew how to do it, but I don't think it's (practically) possible. How to get a message to my app that one of the proxy icons just got touched? Maybe I know one way to do it but it would not be kind to the battery. As the app works now it uses negligible power and CPU except when you're going into settings and it has to scan for all apps. Unless you're clicking or it's initializing during startup or entering/leaving settings, it's in a sleep state.
    Is there a way to add a null icon that launches nothing? That way you could put it in position #1 on an icon, then cycle through the other slots and come back to the position #1 if you decided not to launch one of those apps.
    05-30-10 01:52 AM
    Beta's expired
    06-01-10 04:27 PM
    Yes, had to divert a couple of days to updating "What's Running?". That's done now and work on this can resume. When we get to the final beta some keys will be given out to test that. Thanks for patience...
    06-01-10 05:04 PM
    Yep, Beta has expired for me as well
    06-01-10 05:39 PM
    Great app and would love a register key too please!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 07:52 PM
    Who's got MeterBerry and can tell me its exact module name and the exact name of the 1st app listed in its module? (shown by opening the app in Options/Applications, and then open module in Modules in menu to see apps in it).

I'll need that to make it work with this, and don't want to buy it just for that ... already wrote my own metering tool for meself.

Dynamic icons are going to be annoying and maybe there will be a $1 add-on for those, because I'm going to have to write a replacement for that part of MeterBerry to make the icon work. Plus the same for any other dynamic-icon app that's to be supported.

Thanks
    06-01-10 08:37 PM
    I don't have it, but I asked my buddy who has a storm and he said it's "MeterBerry"
    06-01-10 08:50 PM
    It is also 'MeterBerry' on my Tour and funny, it follows directly after someone's "MEMORYFLASH" utility in the "me" apps listing.
    06-01-10 09:25 PM
    Who's got MeterBerry and can tell me its exact module name and the exact name of the 1st app listed in its module? (shown by opening the app in Options/Applications, and then open module in Modules in menu to see apps in it).

I'll need that to make it work with this, and don't want to buy it just for that ... already wrote my own metering tool for meself.

Dynamic icons are going to be annoying and maybe there will be a $1 add-on for those, because I'm going to have to write a replacement for that part of MeterBerry to make the icon work. Plus the same for any other dynamic-icon app that's to be supported.

Thanks
    It just says:
    applications:
    meterberry
    meterberry

thats exactly how it appears on my screen, then it lists hash and signer ID's
    06-01-10 09:54 PM
    It is also 'MeterBerry' on my Tour and funny, it follows directly after someone's "MEMORYFLASH" utility in the "me" apps listing.
    Thanks.

MemoryFlash, what's that? Does it come with a Men in Black screensaver?
    06-01-10 10:46 PM
    Yes, had to divert a couple of days to updating "What's Running?". That's done now and work on this can resume. When we get to the final beta some keys will be given out to test that. Thanks for patience...
    The beta expired for me also. I would love to continue testing, if you still need input (Storm 2 9550 on 5.0.0.705 hybrid). I am interested in seeing where this app goes. It has a lot of potential!

Thanks.
    06-02-10 07:07 AM
    Beta expired on me 2 ....
    very useful app (: .. Would like to continue testing thanks

06-02-10 11:25 AM
    What do you all think about the number of icons?

It started with 8 because that's how many are on the default Storm homescreen, and it's a manageable number both from a settings standpoint and also for remembering where everything is.

On the other hand, I could see how some power users might want more than 8. For example, 1 for browsers, 1 for stock apps, 1 for app stores, 1 for various calculators, 1 for document editors, ... anyway some people might run out.

The only reason you can't already select however many icons you want is that it would be a much more complicated system with the potential for glitches. I'm willing to at least try rewriting it that way if there's a real need to be able to create and destroy icons as opposed to just hiding a few if you don't want them all, and un-hiding them when you do want them. That's actually more memory-efficient.

But if we go above 8, I'm concerned that it would be a repeat of the error that caused so many complaints about Jam -- an intimidating heap of icons after installing. 8 seems to be on the line between "enough" and "too many".

If it were variable, there would have to be a hard upper limit such as a dozen or two, it would come with a few already created and then you could create more, or destroy some. There would be a generous 1-time hourglass period for each icon creation or deletion, but probably no resets required, and the app would take maybe 50-100k more space (and a few more days to finish no doubt).

So, what do you all think? A fixed number of 8 or 10, or variable from 4 to 12 or more?
    06-02-10 04:10 PM
    Like I mentioned before, I likes the iconify way of downloading links as you needed them.
    That being said, if it takes up less app space, I would rather just hve 8 or 10 and and hide any extras I might have.
    If it was me designing it (assuming this wouldn't be a pita), I would make versions reanging from 8 to say 16, and charge a couple dollars more for the versions that had a couple more icons, maybe giving an option to upgrade if someone wanted to. You could even make a free version with a single icon.
    Back to the original question, just having 8 or 10 icons is fine.

06-02-10 04:21 PM
    Like I mentioned before, I likes the iconify way of downloading links as you needed them.
    That being said, if it takes up less app space, I would rather just hve 8 or 10 and and hide any extras I might have.
    If it was me designing it (assuming this wouldn't be a pita), I would make versions reanging from 8 to say 16, and charge a couple dollars more for the versions that had a couple more icons, maybe giving an option to upgrade if someone wanted to. You could even make a free version with a single icon.
    Back to the original question, just having 8 or 10 icons is fine.

Thank you for this, that's an idea I'll look into and seems like a good compromise -- whether it costs more or not there can be an 'expander' that's downloadable separately and doubles the # of icons to 16. That won't take as much space as even 12 icons that are creatable/deletable.

So, unless anyone thinks the base version needs 10 rather than 8, I'm probably going to leave it at 8 and implement this optional expander.

Like the idea of the free version with 1 icon in addition to the trial version with the 8. Will see about that.

Thanks again
    06-02-10 05:18 PM
    Having 8 icons is enough in my opinion. If you have 8 icons and you can have 4 apps per icon, that is 40 apps!!! That is a lot of apps! But I guess if people need more icons, 10 would be fine.

But I think 8 should be good for everyone. I am only using 3 right now...well right now meaning before my beta expired.
    06-02-10 06:03 PM
    Having 8 icons is enough in my opinion. If you have 8 icons and you can have 4 apps per icon, that is 40 apps!!! That is a lot of apps! But I guess if people need more icons, 10 would be fine.

But I think 8 should be good for everyone. I am only using 3 right now...well right now meaning before my beta expired.
    8 x 4 = 32 (not 40)

Would be no problem to offer more clicks per icon, I was originally going to make it 5 (for 40 apps) but thought, "who's going to remember more than 4?" Also there would be the need to be able to click 5 or 6 times in a row without hesitating and launching the wrong app. Fairly sure 4 is enough without being too much, but if anyone wants option to have 5 or 6 that's as easy as changing a single constant in the program.

P.S. Since I am taking my time with the next beta, anyone who's been commenting to this point can send me their PIN for a key if you want to go on using it. [email protected]. Thanks
    Last edited by LSphone; 06-02-10 at 06:57 PM. Reason: P.S.
    06-02-10 06:51 PM
    I like it where it is. I only use 4 of them anyway, since my theme only has 4 main icons on it. This was plenty enough to put the 16 apps I use the most on the home screen. Its a nice app, my beta expired, I would love to have this again.
    06-02-10 07:18 PM
    Sent an email.
    I use(d) 7 out of the 8 icons, so 8 seems perfect to me.
    I don't even usually have 4 apps on each icon (3 is my average), so for me at least there's no need for more than 4 apps per icon.

06-02-10 07:58 PM
    I like it where it is. I only use 4 of them anyway, since my theme only has 4 main icons on it. This was plenty enough to put the 16 apps I use the most on the home screen. Its a nice app, my beta expired, I would love to have this again.
    Can give you a temporary key to keep it active until the next beta, but will need your PIN.

Email PIN's here: [email protected]

Thanks
    06-02-10 07:59 PM
    8 x 4 = 32 (not 40)

Would be no problem to offer more clicks per icon, I was originally going to make it 5 (for 40 apps) but thought, "who's going to remember more than 4?" Also there would be the need to be able to click 5 or 6 times in a row without hesitating and launching the wrong app. Fairly sure 4 is enough without being too much, but if anyone wants option to have 5 or 6 that's as easy as changing a single constant in the program.

P.S. Since I am taking my time with the next beta, anyone who's been commenting to this point can send me their PIN for a key if you want to go on using it. [email protected]. Thanks
    O snap, haha yea 8 X 4 = 32. Sorry I pulled an all nighter for an exam so my brain was friend even for simple math like that haha.
    Sent you an email with my pin
    Last edited by RGunturi; 06-02-10 at 09:25 PM.
    06-02-10 08:30 PM
    Maybe it's my age, but trying to remember that many "subfunctions" of that many icons seems too much. But clearly there are folks who can remember EVERYTHING and there are folks who want every option.
    06-02-10 08:50 PM
    Eight is plenty for me too. I like the idea of an expansion pack for thowe that need it. A one icon version for free is a great idea to get people to get used to it too!

I am still hoping the ability to tap an icon on a storm to cycle through the icons and click when you get to the right one. Then I can use Moe and don't have to remember their orders.

Lookin great so far!

06-02-10 09:27 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD