Maybe it's my age, but trying to remember that many "subfunctions" of that many icons seems too much. But clearly there are folks who can remember EVERYTHING and there are folks who want every option.
    You'll be able to see what's there by clicking through the icons in case you forget, and it will cancel the launch after you go through all of them.

Could also make the main "Multi-Click Icons" icon multi-click, so if you click that twice it pops up a quick view of all the icon stacks.

Maybe for the semi-forgetful it will be best just to have similar things in each icon, like browsers in one, etc.
    06-02-10 09:30 PM
    You'll be able to see what's there by clicking through the icons in case you forget, and it will cancel the launch after you go through all of them.

Could also make the main "Multi-Click Icons" icon multi-click, so if you click that twice it pops up a quick view of all the icon stacks.
    Now we're talking! I like both of those ideas. Especially cancelling the launch if you "go around the horn"!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 09:41 PM
    I am still hoping the ability to tap an icon on a storm to cycle through the icons and click when you get to the right one.
    I spent some time on that after the suggestion, and now think it can be done but would be brutal on battery life and probably also heat buildup, to the point that few if any people would leave the feature on.
    06-02-10 09:43 PM
    I spent some time on that after the suggestion, and now think it can be done but would be brutal on battery life and probably also heat buildup, to the point that few if any people would leave the feature on.
    Thanks for looking into it. I don't think its worth it if that's the case. After tweaking the setting to a longer reaction time, its easy to click through and find the right app. Having like apps together and slowly clicking through greatly reduces what we have to remember. That, combined with cancellung out after cycling through makes it awesome!

I am running out of suggestions. That doesn't happen often to me! Great work!

06-02-10 11:24 PM
    Thanks for looking into it. I don't think its worth it if that's the case. After tweaking the setting to a longer reaction time, its easy to click through and find the right app. Having like apps together and slowly clicking through greatly reduces what we have to remember. That, combined with cancellung out after cycling through makes it awesome!

I am running out of suggestions. That doesn't happen often to me! Great work!

That's really the only caveat on the Storm; because you have to be touching the icon to click it, it's harder to see what the icon changes into, and if you give yourself time to look after each click, it takes a moment longer to launch when you get to the right icon.

Personally, I leave the reaction time quick. First I learned to click off-center on the icons so I could see them. But since on 5.0 the text changes immediately when you cycle through and that's also shown (in my theme anyway) higher up on the screen, now sometimes I just look at that rather than the icon.

Habit will eventually take over, and before long we'll be automatically double or triple-clicking the correct icon to get what we want without thinking.
    06-03-10 01:12 PM
    That's really the only caveat on the Storm; because you have to be touching the icon to click it, it's harder to see what the icon changes into, and if you give yourself time to look after each click, it takes a moment longer to launch when you get to the right icon.

Personally, I leave the reaction time quick. First I learned to click off-center on the icons so I could see them. But since on 5.0 the text changes immediately when you cycle through and that's also shown (in my theme anyway) higher up on the screen, now sometimes I just look at that rather than the icon.

Habit will eventually take over, and before long we'll be automatically double or triple-clicking the correct icon to get what we want without thinking.
    I have started watching the icon title as well. I am able to click faster that way too. I am definitely getting faster at using it!
    06-04-10 10:06 AM
    Sounds good.
    No, I only get the net_rim_bb_qm_peer option, unless bbm is named something other than bbm lol. The net_rim name is the name of the COD file that is bbm
    Bug: I still have this issue. I am on a 9550 running 5.0.0.705 hybrid (on a .517 radio). The only reference to BBM is net_rim_bb_qm_peer.

Bug: Also, I can set both "Group Chat" and "Group Lists", but if I try launching either through the multi-click icon, I get a popup saying "Uncaught exception: applet already exists". I have to click OK to it and it doesn't launch the group chat or group list.

Feature suggestion: Give the ability make a custom click. For example, assign a website link to a click, call or email a specific person on another click. I would love to be able to assign the 4 clicks of one of the icons to the people I BBM, call, or email most!

Additional feature suggestion: The ability to assign a folder to a click.
    06-04-10 10:21 AM
    Bug: I still have this issue. I am on a 9550 running 5.0.0.705 hybrid (on a .517 radio). The only reference to BBM is net_rim_bb_qm_peer.

Bug: Also, I can set both "Group Chat" and "Group Lists", but if I try launching either through the multi-click icon, I get a popup saying "Uncaught exception: applet already exists". I have to click OK to it and it doesn't launch the group chat or group list.

Feature suggestion: Give the ability make a custom click. For example, assign a website link to a click, call or email a specific person on another click. I would love to be able to assign the 4 clicks of one of the icons to the people I BBM, call, or email most!

Additional feature suggestion: The ability to assign a folder to a click.
    Thanks for bug reports.

What's being worked on is this: You can create a custom icon i.e. a picture of a person, or just pick the default "special contact" icon and set a single or 2-tone color for each contact to make it easier to recognize, and at least on 5.0 you'll be able to see the contact name as you multi-click.

When you "launch" the contact you come to a screen something like this with the contact's picture in the middle and annotations:

Attachment 64103

You then gesture to either send an email, text message, PIN message, or call the contact... I guess that "gesture widget" will have to be modified for just 4 directions for this. The one shown is from the next version of another app where 8-way control is needed.

Sorry for the delay on the next beta, there have been distractions and setbacks but it's being worked on.
    06-04-10 06:19 PM
    Hello testers,

Beta-2 has just been posted:

Multi-Click Icons Beta-2 for 4.2-4.6

Multi-Click Icons Beta-2 for 4.7+

The old version should be deleted before installing the new one. Also, your old license key will not work on the new one, but it's a fully-functional trial and before that expires this will be released.

Changes made:

1. BlackBerry Messenger should now work at least for the main icon; it does here. Realize there's still work to be done there to get group icons to work.

2. "Compose" icon fixed so it looks and reads what it is.

3. Launch cancels after clicking through all the icons. Stop clicking and wait briefly for the icon to reset to try again. There's no need to wait or click through to the X if you started clicking the wrong icon; as soon as you click another (multi-click icon) the pending launch of the other multi-click icon is canceled.

4. Single-click of the main (gold-disc) icon shows an overview of all your multi-click icons. Double-clicking the gold disc brings you straight to "Set Up Icons", or you can get there from the overview.

5. You can reset any icon by clicking the X next to it in setup, or clear all icons by clicking the button at the bottom of the all-icon setup form.

6. Some cosmetic fixes have been made.

In my opinion this is now ready for initial release. The only problems I'm aware of are that some icons don't yet work in the multi-click icons, i.e. Search Messages may or may not work, MeterBerry will not yet work as a multi-click icon but its stand-alone icon will still work of course. Most things people would want to set in multi-click icons seem to work fine, and as-is the app should already be worth the $1.99 initial price.

The other improvements mentioned before will have to slide to the first update, rather than delaying the initial release until that extra functionality is working.

Thank you again for helping to test.

edit: Ah, one thing forgot to mention - I'm aware that on the Storm the X to clear a single icon doesn't work yet, don't worry that will be fixed.
    Last edited by LSphone; 06-08-10 at 01:06 AM.
    06-07-10 11:30 PM
    Link not working for 4.2 - 4.5 version...
    06-08-10 12:00 AM
    Link not working for 4.2 - 4.5 version...
    Just updated it. Sorry... what happens when working late into night.
    06-08-10 01:07 AM
    Just wondering...those of us who got a code from you because of testing...will we get another code for Beta-2 once it is finalized?
    06-08-10 08:00 AM
    Os 4.5 Beta 2 bugs:
    Still doubles of opera mini, show me the images, and several others.
    No more camera or video camera.
    Still no BBM.
    Like the new ui.

06-08-10 09:13 AM
    (sigh)

This project, which was supposed to take half a day, turned out to be not-so-easy.

Thanks for the feedback. Will have to figure out why those problems occur for you on 4.5 but are o.k. on my 8330 with 4.5.

And yes, everyone who helped out with beta testing will get a coupon for a free 'real' copy after release.
    06-08-10 02:08 PM
    Tried uninstalling, battery pull, and reinstall, but same problems :/
    If it's any help, I'm on a Sprint 8330m running 4.5.0.187. I removed vad, extra themes, and extra languages with shrink-an-os.
    Also removed sheet and slideshow to go, I dunno if that would make any difference except for my lack of word to go compatability.

06-08-10 02:39 PM
    (sigh)

This project, which was supposed to take half a day, turned out to be not-so-easy.

Thanks for the feedback. Will have to figure out why those problems occur for you on 4.5 but are o.k. on my 8330 with 4.5.

And yes, everyone who helped out with beta testing will get a coupon for a free 'real' copy after release.
    Thanks for the coupon comment ...Haha, yea it took longer than expected I guess, but isn't it for the better? :P
    06-08-10 04:19 PM
    Can you find a way to distinguish multi-click icons from the 'real' single click icons? I got mine mixed with what I will call single-click real icons and was not sure what was what? Maybe an asterisk or some arrow or something. Changing themes could be a bear if one cannot distinguish YOUR mc-icons from others? Or have I missed some method? Again, remember I'm the old fart who could have trouble remembering too many icons attached to one position!!

ubertwitter shows up more than once, too. franytran 2 times, Ringscheduler 2, setup wizard 2,

And some lowercase apps show up at the end, out of alpha order
    Last edited by F2; 06-08-10 at 04:30 PM.
    06-08-10 04:26 PM
    I hid all the icons I used a multi-click for; if you switch themes, I think they'll stay hidden...

06-08-10 04:30 PM
    That's another item on the to-do list for the 1st update, something like the "Identify" feature for monitors in Windows that will temporarily replace all the multi-click icons with the "silver rivet" setup icons with the # of each icon in the middle, or at least in the label. Then the 1st time you click one, they all go back to normal.

There could be something added to the icons like a colored tag in the corner, that would not be as efficient as just displaying the unaltered icons but could be done.

Right now I'm just trying to get the first version debugged and good enough for release, then there will be continued development. If I wait until everything's in, someone else will probably beat me to market with my own idea.

edit: Beta-3 now available for 4.2-4.6

Beta-3 for 4.2-4.6
    Last edited by LSphone; 06-08-10 at 11:13 PM.
    06-08-10 09:48 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD