I'm jealous of one iPhone feature: weather. I'm looking for something on the BB that is comparable. On the iPhone you can hover over the weather icon and it updates automatically with current conditions and today's forecast. Very useful when trying to make plans for later in the day, and you know you've got up-to-the-minute accuracy without having to load a browser window.

I was using BBWeather but it suddenly tanked on me so I uninstalled, and before I tried to reinstall I thought I'd look around for another recommendation. I have RIM Push weather installed with both Accuweather and The Weather Network channels. The way it shows the icon and temp on the home screen is *exactly* what I'm looking for, but the max 2x day update frequency is far too slow to be useful and updates are unpredictable. For instance, right now it's nearly 10AM but one channel shows a moon icon and hasn't updated since shortly after midnight, and even a manual refresh only gives the conditions as of 4:33 AM. The other channel shows the conditions as of 6:37PM yesterday evening, which is just laughably unhelpful.

Is Weatherbug all I'm left with? I'm not 100% averse to a subscription service but it just seems there ought to be something free and/or from RIM out there, and the subscription services seem like they just charge too much - a buck or 2 a month is my max tolerance.

Also, anybody know if OS 4.5 includes an improvement? (Just in case AT&T decides to release it sometime this year...)
    07-14-08 09:02 AM
    Try weathereye. Its free, shows icon on home screen, and can update every 30 mins

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 09:06 AM
    I prefer Weathereye. You can find it HERE GL.
    07-14-08 09:07 AM
    I use WeatherEye. Terrific app, the icon changes all the time, is accurate, and totally free. Search for it under popular BlackBerry download links.

07-14-08 09:09 AM
    Thanks - that seems like it's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Wish it would let me customize for mph/kph etc. and wish it showed an "as of" time, but it's certainly snappy and seems accurate. And for free, I'll take it!
    07-14-08 09:39 AM
    Weathereye!

Oh...I'm too late... :-P
    07-14-08 09:48 AM
    I use the Weatherbug onthe Verizon Startpage. It serves me pretty well.
    07-14-08 09:55 AM
    Another vote for WeatherEye.
    07-14-08 10:02 AM
    I use the Weatherbug onthe Verizon Startpage. It serves me pretty well.
    I briefly tried weatherbug and while I liked the severe weather alerts a lot, it didn't seem to update enough. My homescreen would say one thing but I'd open the app and the actual temp would be almost always totally off. I'd have better luck guessing, but to each his own.
    07-14-08 10:03 AM
    Again another vote for Weather Eye, it is slick
    07-14-08 10:06 AM
    Journal bar. It's not free, but I have tried them all and it the one that works best for me.
    07-14-08 10:46 AM
    I briefly tried weatherbug and while I liked the severe weather alerts a lot, it didn't seem to update enough. My homescreen would say one thing but I'd open the app and the actual temp would be almost always totally off. I'd have better luck guessing, but to each his own.
    I've experienced the same thing as far as homescreen icon saying one thing as far as temperature and the actual app saying another, but I figure if it's within just a few degrees then it's not too bad.
    07-14-08 11:03 AM
    I've experienced the same thing as far as homescreen icon saying one thing as far as temperature and the actual app saying another, but I figure if it's within just a few degrees then it's not too bad.
    From what I can tell in my vast usage experience of... oh, about 2 hours now, when you click on the icon to load the app it does a manual update, which explains the temperature change. And then when I exit, the icon on the home screen has updated to the new temp. I've also discovered that in flipping between the zen view and complete apps view it refreshes and updates sometimes.

Even if I have to click on it to update, it's still faster and better than BBWeather or Push weather.

Thanks to all for the suggestions - I'm pretty happy with it so far.
    07-14-08 11:11 AM
    I've used weather eye before. Switched to Weather Bug because of the updates. Check out the thread Weather Bug Warns you..... Either application will work
    07-14-08 11:16 AM
    I vote for Weatherbug; I have it set for 1 hour forecast, and the temperature update for 5 minutes.

07-14-08 11:37 AM
    I use the weather channel shortcut. Most accurate for me.

07-14-08 11:40 AM
    From what I can tell in my vast usage experience of... oh, about 2 hours now, when you click on the icon to load the app it does a manual update, which explains the temperature change. And then when I exit, the icon on the home screen has updated to the new temp. I've also discovered that in flipping between the zen view and complete apps view it refreshes and updates sometimes.

Even if I have to click on it to update, it's still faster and better than BBWeather or Push weather.

Thanks to all for the suggestions - I'm pretty happy with it so far.
    Rrryan, you're onto something there! I tried what you suggested with the switch between Zen and Apps view and it did indeed update the temp. Thanks for the tip!
    07-14-08 12:00 PM
    I've used weather eye before. Switched to Weather Bug because of the updates. Check out the thread ... Either application will work
    I've got both installed now and I'll see how it goes. I just had to read through all 10 pages of the thread to learn that WB now only install with 1 icon by default after I spent 30 min trying to troubleshoot what had happened to my other icon!

I live in an era where tornadoes and sever thunderstorms are frequent in the summer months, so I think I'll end up liking Weather Bug.

Thanks again to everyone for the help - I only wish I had known about these sooner!
    07-14-08 12:06 PM
    can anyone comment on how much weather eye drains on the battery? i'm just curious as to how much extra battery drain i'll get by leaving the program running in the background.
    07-14-08 12:34 PM
    Anybody tried Intellicast.com? ...great site, good visuals and almost more weather info than you need. Scientific approach to forecasting.
    07-14-08 12:35 PM
    can anyone comment on how much weather eye drains on the battery? i'm just curious as to how much extra battery drain i'll get by leaving the program running in the background.

How often does a person need to check the weather? Every 5 minutes? 15 minutes? I don't understand the purpose of having a weather widget other than to sap your battery and memory.........SERIOUSLY.......you can always get it from numerous sites without having to have a dedicated widgie.......I just get up early enough to see the weather and then I am off.......MAYBE I am crazy.......but DWAMMMMM.........how often DO you have to look up the weather?

I'm just sayin......
    07-14-08 12:38 PM
    Has anyone tried Worldmatelive? it rocks
    07-14-08 12:54 PM
    I probably only check it a coupla times a day, but I guess I'm just a little impatient when I check it and don't want to go through pulling up bookmarks, waiting for load, etc.

Maybe more important in the SE where dangerous thunderstorms, hailstorms, and tornados have a habit of popping up in the PM when they weren't expected in the AM and you're on the road away from other new sources.
    07-14-08 01:53 PM
    That's more along my lines. I spend alot of time in the field outdoors and need to know when to start running for the vehicle!!!
    07-14-08 01:56 PM
    weather bug. I love it. My husband loves it. I installed it on his iphone
    07-14-08 02:59 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD