So I've seen some threads going around about different weather apps. What seems to be the most accurate weather app....free or pay? I've seen Berry Weather which doesn't seem to be accurate, but has the best radars. I've tried BBWeather, which doesn't even have radar. Any good recommendations?
    08-18-09 12:24 PM
    Berryweather is accurate. I think early issue plagued it, but that has changed. Easily my #1
    08-18-09 12:27 PM
    Berryweather is accurate. I think early issue plagued it, but that has changed. Easily my #1
    I 2nd that. Berry weather works flawlessly on my device and is accurate within (+ -) 1 degree. Best weather app I have ever used. I heard there were problems early on, but I've never encountered any.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 12:33 PM
    Best free might be Weatherbug.. much better than weathereye.
    08-18-09 01:18 PM
    Best free might be Weatherbug.. much better than weathereye.
    I agree; I have really come to enjoy this free app. Whatever you decide, stay away from accuweather, it sucks!!
    08-18-09 01:23 PM
    I'm sort of split between BerryWeather and WeatherBug Elite. I prefer features of both and hope that one of them starts to "steal" some features.

WeatherBug Elite is nice because it has the separate icon in the notification bar telling you the current temp, Its a nice feature, especially when the phone is locked, its still visible. Unfortunately, it only shows the temp, not the conditions. (without going into the app).

The biggest downside to WB Elite has been the annoying, constant alerts. I live in NJ, I know the air quality stinks here, but its a pain to get an alert every hour reminding me, and I haven't been able to shut them off and their support hasn't been much help yet..

As for BerryWeather, I like it alot, but have had a few issues.. First off, it makes my Tour lag about 5-6 seconds when I come out of the homescreen. I've uninstalled/re-installed enough to be able to pinpoint it to this app, and I've tried forum recommended fixes (Memory Cleaner, changing themes) that worked for others, but not for me. Its not a HUGE problem, and it doesn't happen all the time, but its an annoyance.

Second issue, and I can't prove this yet, but I suspect there's an ever so slight memory leak, it could be because in order to get updates it has to run in the background - its nothing drastic like some other apps, but still - something that can hopefully be addressed.

As far as the accuracy, I think both were pretty good, I didn't really notice one being more accurate (or inaccurate?)

The ideal App would have the interface that BerryWeather has - the icons are fantastic - yet add in the Notification bar icon like WB Elite. (with current conditions?)

I purchased BeWeather yesterday when it went to 50% off, but I think I'll switch back to WB Elite until the lag is resolved.
    08-18-09 01:42 PM
    I 2nd that. Berry weather works flawlessly on my device and is accurate within (+ -) 1 degree. Best weather app I have ever used. I heard there were problems early on, but I've never encountered any.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is correct.
    08-18-09 01:51 PM
    BerryWeather all the way...
    08-18-09 01:53 PM
    I'm sort of split between BerryWeather and WeatherBug Elite. I prefer features of both and hope that one of them starts to "steal" some features.

WeatherBug Elite is nice because it has the separate icon in the notification bar telling you the current temp, Its a nice feature, especially when the phone is locked, its still visible. Unfortunately, it only shows the temp, not the conditions. (without going into the app).

The biggest downside to WB Elite has been the annoying, constant alerts. I live in NJ, I know the air quality stinks here, but its a pain to get an alert every hour reminding me, and I haven't been able to shut them off and their support hasn't been much help yet..

As for BerryWeather, I like it alot, but have had a few issues.. First off, it makes my Tour lag about 5-6 seconds when I come out of the homescreen. I've uninstalled/re-installed enough to be able to pinpoint it to this app, and I've tried forum recommended fixes (Memory Cleaner, changing themes) that worked for others, but not for me. Its not a HUGE problem, and it doesn't happen all the time, but its an annoyance.

Second issue, and I can't prove this yet, but I suspect there's an ever so slight memory leak, it could be because in order to get updates it has to run in the background - its nothing drastic like some other apps, but still - something that can hopefully be addressed.

As far as the accuracy, I think both were pretty good, I didn't really notice one being more accurate (or inaccurate?)

The ideal App would have the interface that BerryWeather has - the icons are fantastic - yet add in the Notification bar icon like WB Elite. (with current conditions?)

I purchased BeWeather yesterday when it went to 50% off, but I think I'll switch back to WB Elite until the lag is resolved.
    Best post about weather apps that I've read thus far, completely agree (but choose to stay with BerryWeather due to better interface and lack of annoying Weatherbug Alerts).
    08-18-09 02:21 PM
    I am new to blackberrys and just got my Tour on Sunday. No problems with it to speak of (bat door slightly loose but IDGAS). That being said, I took advantage of the berryweather 1/2 off purchase and loaded it yesterday. I have seen people complain of its inaccuracy and I have seen people post of it being "new and improved and totally accurate". I will clear this up for anyone who is interested...

I live in Westlake Village, Ca... my berryweather says 61 & Hazy

Weather.com says 77 and PC

standing in my front yard... weather.com nails it.

BERRYWEATHER GETS AN F. By a huge margin.

I can see a couple of degrees either way but 15+ and a cloud condition? FAIL. What a POS.

I do however love love love my Tour.

~R

p.s. We should try a test. some one pick a location and we can all input it and see if we even get the same results. THEN Compare to an accurate site like weather.com or better yet... someone standing in that location.
    Last edited by n2boost; 08-18-09 at 02:43 PM.
    08-18-09 02:40 PM
    BerryWeather tested in Santa Monica, CA and Stony Brook, NY

BerryWeather: 63 degrees (SM) and 88 degrees (SB)

WUnderground: 64 (SM) and 89 degrees (SB)

Weather.com: 63 (SM) and 88 degrees (SB)

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

Edit: Just did Westlake Village, CA - you're right, Weather.com shows 81 degrees, whereas BerryWeather 64?? Definitely off.

Asheville, NC - 82 degrees, both BerryWeather and weather.com.

It seems that BerryWeather is mostly accurate, but everything hasn't been worked out yet.
    Last edited by dohturdima; 08-18-09 at 03:20 PM.
    08-18-09 03:11 PM
    Whatever you choose, don't use Accuweather push application. If you choose to delete the app, it removes all profile customization and returns it all back to default.
    08-18-09 03:18 PM
    eh berryweather but the search could have told you that.
    08-18-09 05:01 PM
    You guys need to realize that BerryWeather and WeatherBug and all the other weather apps out there aren't providing the details themselves! They all rely on another source - whether it be AccuWeather, WeatherUnderground, The Weather Channel, or what... they are all polling data from other sources. Some of these sources may not be accurate and others will be more accurate.

Personally, I watch weather quite a bit as kinda of a hobby and out of necessity as being involved in Hot Air Ballooning. We need to watch weather carefully. Intellicast and WeatherUnderground are always good choices. I personally like WeatherUnderground due to it's ability to harvest information from personal weather stations around a community instead of a single radar that fixed in some remote location, typically an airport. In fact, WeatherUnderground has the ability to average this information together and provide a general regional temperature and forecast which is exceptionally nice!

For weather apps - get what you like and research what sources they use. If you like the source information, more than likely, the information the app will provide will be just as good, user Interface issues aside.
    08-18-09 05:20 PM
    [QUOTE=dohturdima;3371429]Edit: Just did Westlake Village, CA - you're right, Weather.com shows 81 degrees, whereas BerryWeather 64?? Definitely off. [QUOTE]

Sniff...sniff... Waaaaahhhhhhh. Berryweather hates Westlake Village. LOL Thanks for do the test tho. At least now i know its not just me!!!

~R
    08-18-09 05:50 PM
    Just as a follow up to my earlier post, I decided to run both apps on my Tour for a little while to check the accuracy and compare to the websites on my computer... As of right now:

Home Zip Code:
    BerryWeather: 79
    Weatherbug Elite: 71

Weather.com: 74
    Wunderground: 75
    Accuweather: 72
    Yahoo Weather: 75
    National Weather Service: 75
    Local News Website: 75

Work Zip Code:
    BerryWeather: 88
    Weatherbug Elite: 84

Weather.com: 85
    Wunderground: 85
    Accuweather: 85
    Yahoo Weather: 86
    National Weather Service: 86
    Local News Website: 86

Neither is dead-on accurate, but I'd say the Weatherbug Elite temps seem slightly closer. Its no more than 3 degrees off whereas BerryWeather is as many as 7 degrees off. I think its sort of funny that there is such a discrepancy in the temps between the 2 applications, but the consensus temp that I get from the website is always in between. Its obviously nothing scientific, but goes to show that neither is perfect, and aside from the example in Westlake Village, both are fairly accurate.
    08-18-09 09:53 PM
    Has anyone taken into account the location of the temperature reading for the weather source? You may find that the reason you're getting a big discrepancy in the readings is because one source is using a location within your town that is further away from your exact location. If you have ever had a time when it was raining in one part of your town and sunny in the other, depending on where the exact location of the weather source for your given area, your forcast can be dry or wet and be wrong for you!

You should try to enter another zip code or town that is closer to where you actually are, then you can get a closer reading. For example, Wunderground says the temperature for my area is 56 degrees at this writing, but the location it's pulling from is 2 miles away in the hills. From a location that is about a mile away and at same level as my location, says it's 61 degrees. That's a 5 degree difference. Berryweather, which uses Hamweather.com, says it 57 degrees and BB Weather, which uses Weather.com, says it's 58 degrees. Which is right?

I couldn't let Berryweather get past me at 50% off. I don't see a reason to doubt its accuracy and it's a great app. But I think it is a good idea to allow for some variance in the accuracy, because you may not know the exact location that the temperature is pulling from. If there is anything that these threads and analysis show, is that the weather reading for a given city or zip code is subject to a variable result You may need to find what works for you and your location. So, perhaps the temp reading for a nearby city is a better reading for you, than if you lived on the other side of town.
    08-19-09 03:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD