Is there an app that I can use on a BB Pearl to track my teen in a stealthy way?
    05-17-10 02:24 PM
    What kind of tracking, gps to see where they are, or plan tracking to see what their usage is?

Appworld has both, go read some reviews and check em out!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-10 04:34 PM
    friend them on facebook lol
    05-17-10 04:47 PM
    Wow I hope he or she visits many gay bars just to mess with you..there's just some things parents shouldn't do. Can you imagine being a teenager with your parents eyes on you 24/7 kind of defeats the point of your teenage years.

05-17-10 05:08 PM
    Wow I hope he or she visits many gay bars just to mess with you..there's just some things parents shouldn't do. Can you imagine being a teenager with your parents eyes on you 24/7 kind of defeats the point of your teenage years.
    Must not be a parent.

I would like to monitor the location. Can the text content be monitored also?
    05-17-10 05:16 PM
    Must not be a parent.

Nope I'm not..just amazed parenting has come down to GPS instead of I dunno maybe parenting? Seems people raised children just fine without location tracking up until recently. Just seems a lil to much for me.

05-17-10 05:35 PM
    Take a look at this free service called SimpleTrax at: SimpleTrax - the simple to use service to locate your GPS devices
    05-17-10 06:32 PM
    Must not be a parent.
    This was obvious...
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Some say, how could you do this!?!? Invasion of privacy! But, when something happens, these same people are the first to say, "Where was the supervision?" "You have to monitor your child's whereabouts and internet communications in this new millenium, and all the crazy stuff happening." Can't be denied, you hear it every day on the news.

I choose to make an error on the side of caution myself.

I use SmrtGuard for everyones BB in my family. There is a subscription version and a free version. All 5 of my subscriptions are paid, but you may only need the free version though for what you want to do. They (free version) have remote tracking, SMS text backup for you to see text history, and even a "Remote Listen" feature. The only caveat is that they can see the icon, and will know it is installed. But that alone is a deterent from trouble in itself IMO.

I just instructed my daughter that if I pay the bill it will be installed. Period. Guess how fast she agreed. I told her it was just to be able to locate her if she doesn't repond. She now responds to every message sent, so I wont go to the PC. I probably never will track her, but I like to be able to do so if I need to. I love my kids, and do what I need to do.
    Check it out here...
    BlackBerry Smartphone Services, BlackBerry PDA Services, Phone Services for BlackBerry
    05-17-10 06:59 PM
    I know when I was back in high school you could get a print out of all the text messages of the last biil I'm sure you can still do this.

05-17-10 08:00 PM
    Every time someone asks a question of this nature, overly opinionated people respond. The OP didn't ask if he/she SHOULD track a teenager. The OP asked HOW to track a teenager. If you know how, great. If not, read on

05-17-10 08:07 PM
    Every time someone asks a question of this nature, overly opinionated people respond. The OP didn't ask if he/she SHOULD track a teenager. The OP asked HOW to track a teenager. If you know how, great. If not, read on

So that's your opinion? Thanks for adding to the over opinionated posts lmao...

If you wanna use GPS to find your kids if they don't come home for safety reasons, that's one thing. But becoming the all seeing eye to track them location by location is ridiculous and you will do more harm to your relationship than good..talk about creating trust issues.

Oh if you find a forum without opinions stay there, or skip over my posts in the future.

05-17-10 08:24 PM
    This was obvious...
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Some say, how could you do this!?!? Invasion of privacy! But, when something happens, these same people are the first to say, "Where was the supervision?" "You have to monitor your child's whereabouts and internet communications in this new millenium, and all the crazy stuff happening." Can't be denied, you hear it every day on the news.

I choose to make an error on the side of caution myself.

I use SmrtGuard for everyones BB in my family. There is a subscription version and a free version. All 5 of my subscriptions are paid, but you may only need the free version though for what you want to do. They (free version) have remote tracking, SMS text backup for you to see text history, and even a "Remote Listen" feature. The only caveat is that they can see the icon, and will know it is installed. But that alone is a deterent from trouble in itself IMO.

I just instructed my daughter that if I pay the bill it will be installed. Period. Guess how fast she agreed. I told her it was just to be able to locate her if she doesn't repond. She now responds to every message sent, so I wont go to the PC. I probably never will track her, but I like to be able to do so if I need to. I love my kids, and do what I need to do.
    Check it out here...
    BlackBerry Smartphone Services, BlackBerry PDA Services, Phone Services for BlackBerry
    Nah your right, new millennium new problems new solutions. If you wanna use GPS for safety reasons I have no argument, and like you said you'd prolly never track her, so I really have nothing left to say lol **** I'm not an ***** maybe my views will change once I have children, but until then FREEDOM FOR EVERYONE! Haha

05-17-10 08:32 PM
    Is there an app that I can use on a BB Pearl to track my teen in a stealthy way?
    I suppose I could lend a helpful 2cents as well.. E-mobile GPS FindMe seems to be the best match for what your looking for, its in the crackberry app store

05-17-10 09:03 PM
    Google maps can do it with latitude.
    I know that sprint offers this via their website, no app required.
    05-17-10 10:12 PM
    IceSteve, I'm sorry if I overreacted. I know exactly how/why forums work, and I see the value of an open exchange of opinions. I have three kids, though, and it's a lot harder raising kids these days than when I was a kid (and even my parents agree). Anyways, to each his own. I shouldn't have said what I did. I don't know if you have kiddies or not, but I think that with new technology comes new challenges and parents have to find nes ways to adapt.

In any case, I shouldn't have said what I said the way I did, and for that I apologize.

05-17-10 10:17 PM
    IceSteve, I'm sorry if I overreacted. I know exactly how/why forums work, and I see the value of an open exchange of opinions. I have three kids, though, and it's a lot harder raising kids these days than when I was a kid (and even my parents agree). Anyways, to each his own. I shouldn't have said what I did. I don't know if you have kids or not, but I think that with new technology comes new challenges and parents have to find new ways to adapt.

In any case, I shouldn't have said what I said the way I did, and for that I apologize.

05-17-10 10:18 PM
    I should also lend a (helpful?) suggestion to the OP as well: try DexRex for free text message access and archiving, and Instamapper for GPS. Both free. Instamapper is a big battery drain, though.

05-17-10 10:22 PM
    IceSteve, I'm sorry if I overreacted. I know exactly how/why forums work, and I see the value of an open exchange of opinions. I have three kids, though, and it's a lot harder raising kids these days than when I was a kid (and even my parents agree). Anyways, to each his own. I shouldn't have said what I did. I don't know if you have kids or not, but I think that with new technology comes new challenges and parents have to find new ways to adapt.

No apology necessary, like I said in the other reply my views may change when I have children, dunno though can only speak my mind as it is now. But an apology is rarely seen here on crackberry I do appreciate it, somewhat refreshing lol

So ill throw out a sorry to the OP for ranting in your thread

05-17-10 11:27 PM
    I am just a very scared saddened parent that has recently found cause for concern. I am somewhat a technology neophite and I am only trying to determine options that can assist me in saving my child. I have one shot at this parenting thing and I owe it to them to do what I can to help them through life, so I can die first. I would not invade their privacy if I had no reason to. I am only reacting to the current evidence in hand. I would rather them accuse me of being untrusting of them rather than the alternative, anyday. I appreciate some of the people's responses. The first posts made me think I came to the wrong place. Thank you for the help. Ok, done with that part...starting to get emotional again.

I will look into the suggestions that were given and go from there. Thank you.
    Last edited by CritterN; 05-18-10 at 06:31 AM.
    05-18-10 06:29 AM
    How can these apps prevent it's uninstallation? If I were teen and I was suspecting that my parents are spying on me, the first thing that I'll do is to delete this spy app. Kids are smart now, don't underestimate them
    05-18-10 06:47 AM
    How can these apps prevent it's uninstallation? If I were teen and I was suspecting that my parents are spying on me, the first thing that I'll do is to delete this spy app. Kids are smart now, don't underestimate them
    You make a good point...
    OP, does your child use anything like twitter, Google Latitude, etc. already so you could maybe add it to your phone and somehow turn the location on for their tweets or add them in Latitude? My daughter is 3 and I am not looking forward to the day when I have to consider this.
    05-18-10 07:01 AM
    I don't know how old the teen is? But you would probably do better with a GPS tracker on the vehicle! (If they are driving of course).

On a lighter note....I have three children 22,19,16. The two youngest were no problem what-so-ever! My eldest son needed a GPS tracker inserted rectally!! He was NEVER where he was supposed to be and got into the most trouble, even with me being on top of everything, he still managed to pull some nonsense!! NOW I will let his wife deal with that
    05-18-10 07:18 AM
    Nope I'm not..just amazed parenting has come down to GPS instead of I dunno maybe parenting? Seems people raised children just fine without location tracking up until recently. Just seems a lil to much for me.

LOL- very well put
    05-18-10 07:21 AM
    How can these apps prevent it's uninstallation?
    The apps do not prevent uninstallation. Most teenagers do not have the independent income to purchase mobile phones, or maintain their monthly plans. For the most part teens cannot even purchase their own clothing, even with a position in McDonald's. So, as I stated before, it gets installed, or they can't be trendy having a mobile device and plan. From what I see, if a teen is able to sustain what is necessary for the extra things in life, they are most likely on their own anyway with no support structure, so it really wouldn't matter at that point. Plenty of people tell stories about how they had to work through childhood. They have matured beyond their years already, and probably would not need something like this.
    If I were teen and I was suspecting that my parents are spying on me, the first thing that I'll do is to delete this spy app.
    Although the desire is to do this stealthfully, and unobtrusively, as you can read from the post just above yours that it is more about child safety than spying. Sure, they can uninstall it, but what does that really say about the child? If they cannot follow instructions about an application, what are the real world worries about other "more important" instructions on personal safety or life in general. As I stated previously, If it is not installed, or working as it should, all priviledges are revoked. Period. If a child claims that they are in the "good" it should not matter to them.
    Kids are smart now, don't underestimate them
    This is EXACTLY the point! Kids are growing up too fast today. They see too many things on TV, on the way to school, and even in the classrooms. The true "underestimation" is to allow children to engage in unseemly activities, and not expect excellence from them. I remember as a child, I was giggling and shocked to hear Flo on "GoodTimes" say "Damn, Damn, Damn". Now you hear MUCH more terrible things than that... During prime time! And, kids don't even flinch. The OP is doing the correct thing, following the basic human instinct of survival for the family unit in these crazy times.

It's all about true love... Do what you gotta do...
    05-18-10 07:29 AM
    This is EXACTLY the point! Kids are growing up too fast today. They see too many things on TV, on the way to school, and even in the classrooms. The true "underestimation" is to allow children to engage in unseemly activities, and not expect excellence from them. I remember as a child, I was giggling and shocked to hear Flo on "GoodTimes" say "Damn, Damn, Damn". Now you hear MUCH more terrible things than that... During prime time! And, kids don't even flinch.
    I don't see what desensitization has to do - at all - with either a) the conversation at hand or b) suggesting an application to OP.

Adults in the 1920's would cringe if a woman exposed any chest at all. Now we have full-blown strip clubs (with exposing advertisements out front, very well lit up!) on main streets in major cities, and adults don't even flinch.

Who's desensitizing who? You can blame the big bad scary world for the language that hurts your apparently too sensitive ears, but this is life now. Saying "back in my day" doesn't change anything now. Move on, adapt, evolve.

I also think SmrtGuard or the Latitude option is best for OP. Normally I'd be right there with the anti-spy people saying you shouldn't be doing this, but I don't know your situation, and I'm trying this new 'close-the-page if I feel a hugely opinionated post coming on', which I've done to this thread twice already, so I guess it's working out.

Regardless, Latitude is fairly accurate (assuming he has GPS in his phone..) If he doesn't it gets less accurate.
    05-18-10 07:54 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD