I came across Crunch SMS in the BB world, but I dont see a way of getting this to be my default SMS app, when I receive an SMS it shows up in my stock one... can any one help? IS there a way to change defaults? Is there another better SMS app out there? I hate the iPhone look of Crunch SMS.
    08-26-11 10:19 AM
    I am curious... why so many people go with a third party app for SMS when we have one built in to the phone in the OS at the first place? Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I would like to ask why not use the SMS app that comes with the phone?
    08-26-11 10:22 AM
    I am curious... why so many people go with a third party app for SMS when we have one built in to the phone in the OS at the first place? Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I would like to ask why not use the SMS app that comes with the phone?
    Its Simple;Choices! With the stock one you cant really customize like a 3rd party one ( colors, fonts, custom background etc ), and honestly the stock icon is plain ugly.
    mssca likes this.
    08-26-11 10:28 AM
    same here
    im using lots of apps, 30-40, but i'd never use a 3rd party app for sms
    whats the point??

edit:
    ok, well i can understand using wallpapers and all that, everyone does that, but for sms?
    well, to each their own
    08-26-11 10:31 AM
    I came across Crunch SMS in the BB world, but I dont see a way of getting this to be my default SMS app, when I receive an SMS it shows up in my stock one... can any one help? IS there a way to change defaults? Is there another better SMS app out there? I hate the iPhone look of Crunch SMS.
    Yes, you can switch off SMS going to your standard inbox and then they will just show in Crunch SMS. I prefer using Crunch as you can read and reply to an incoming SMS without unlocking your handset or launching the app.

Instructions as below from Crunch site, depends on which OS you're running on:

I only want to see messages in crunchSMS, how do I configure that?

For OS 6, you need to ensure only crunchSMS receives them by doing this: Desktop > Options > Security > Firewall, and tick the "Enable" and "Text Messages" boxes.

Important for MMS, ensure in the Messages app > BB Key > Options > Text Messaging, under the MMS heading set Multimedia Reception to Never and Automatic Retrieval (if possible not all phones allow this to be changed) to Never.

For OS 4 and 5, you need to ensure only crunchSMS receives them by doing this: Desktop > Options > Security Options > Firewall, and tick the "SMS" and "MMS" boxes.
    Note: you do have to enable the firewall.

Important for MMS, ensure in Desktop > Options > MMS you set Multimedia Reception to Never and Automatic Retrieval (if possible not all phones allow this to be changed) to Never.
    Jesse813#CB likes this.
    08-26-11 10:33 AM

For OS 6, you need to ensure only crunchSMS receives them by doing this: Desktop > Options > Security > Firewall, and tick the "Enable" and "Text Messages" boxes.

For OS 4 and 5, you need to ensure only crunchSMS receives them by doing this: Desktop > Options > Security Options > Firewall, and tick the "SMS" and "MMS" boxes.
    Note: you do have to enable the firewall.

This is why when I got my 9930, I wasn't receiving texts. If you do this, remember you did it and have to undo when you are done with crunch SMS. When I had crunch SMS on my tour I was hardly impressed with it.
    08-26-11 12:20 PM
    I have been using Crunch SMS for 2 years and I love it.

Just make sure to enable the firewall on your phone, and disable receiving Text Messages. That way, you won't get the message twice anymore (once on the default SMS app and once on CrunchSMS

Make sure to download the latest Crunch SMS v3.11
    08-26-11 12:24 PM
    you have to go to options-->security-->firewall, then check the "text messages" box to block them from going to the native app
    10-14-11 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD