What is a good movie player that supports AVI files? Thanks
    02-18-11 01:09 PM
    Doesn't the built in media player play avi?
    02-18-11 01:31 PM
    I always thought it played mp4 files but might be wrong.
    02-18-11 01:42 PM
    I don't think the default player plays .avi files.
    I've been looking for an alternate media player that supports more files and plays them better, but haven't found anything worth the money and/or better than the default player.
    With all the mobile videos available, i don't understand why more apps aren't available other than maybe the devices aren't powerful enough to handle the videos better. hopefully with the new devices coming out (especially the playbook), the default player will get better or a lot more 3rd party media players will become available...
    02-18-11 06:28 PM
    I don't think the default player plays .avi files.
    I've been looking for an alternate media player that supports more files and plays them better, but haven't found anything worth the money and/or better than the default player.
    With all the mobile videos available, i don't understand why more apps aren't available other than maybe the devices aren't powerful enough to handle the videos better. hopefully with the new devices coming out (especially the playbook), the default player will get better or a lot more 3rd party media players will become available...
    I know right.. Sucks you need to convert them.
    02-18-11 06:38 PM
    I know right.. Sucks you need to convert them.
    What is even weirder, in my opinion, is it plays divx files, but not avi. I mean, it doesn't play the divx well (skips a lot), but ****, at least it supports the format..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-11 07:00 PM
    Played plenty of avi files on my 9780... Could it be HD avi that are not actually coded in a way BB 6 goes along?
    02-18-11 09:20 PM
    What is even weirder, in my opinion, is it plays divx files, but not avi. I mean, it doesn't play the divx well (skips a lot), but ****, at least it supports the format..

Here is an Idea, Shrink the DivX file to the size of the blackberry screen, reason it skips is because you keep it it's original size. You shrink down the screen size of the file you're going to be fine Works for me all the time
    02-19-11 07:26 AM
    Here is an Idea, Shrink the DivX file to the size of the blackberry screen, reason it skips is because you keep it it's original size. You shrink down the screen size of the file you're going to be fine Works for me all the time
    cool, good idea man - I didn't think about that. Most of the movies on my phone are already formatted for mobile devices, but the divx ones that I've been having problems with are baby einstein vids for my son formatted to be displayed on a tv. So thanks for the tip!

02-19-11 07:32 AM
    Just to clear up some confusion, yes the BB media player can play "AVI" files. Where the confusion lies is that an AVI file is not an audio/video format, it's a container.

Here's an analogy, you have a cup (the AVI container), put some rum (the video) in there, then you add some coke (the audio). But in another cup that looks the same you put rye and coke in there. The cups look the same right? But it's whats inside thats different.

So the problem with playing the AVI file isn't the file itself, it's what is inside of it. An AVI container supports many audio (ie. Mp3, AAC, DTS, AC-3 etc) formats as it does video (ie dvix/xvid, WMV, MPEG1/2 etc). Some formats are supported by the BB Media Player while others are not. And some formats it does support in the case of divx/xvid, if the content is in SD resolution it will scale it fine on the device and play properly, but HD resolutions is will start to choke. Also with those same formats it will play fine at 24fps (frames per second) but at 30fps it starts to lag.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-19-11 09:41 AM
    Just to clear up some confusion, yes the BB media player can play "AVI" files. Where the confusion lies is that an AVI file is not an audio/video format, it's a container.

Here's an analogy, you have a cup (the AVI container), put some rum (the video) in there, then you add some coke (the audio). But in another cup that looks the same you put rye and coke in there. The cups look the same right? But it's whats inside thats different.

So the problem with playing the AVI file isn't the file itself, it's what is inside of it. An AVI container supports many audio (ie. Mp3, AAC, DTS, AC-3 etc) formats as it does video (ie dvix/xvid, WMV, MPEG1/2 etc). Some formats are supported by the BB Media Player while others are not. And some formats it does support in the case of divx/xvid, if the content is in SD resolution it will scale it fine on the device and play properly, but HD resolutions is will start to choke. Also with those same formats it will play fine at 24fps (frames per second) but at 30fps it starts to lag.
    Thanks Mr. Moderator, u schooled me.
    04-29-12 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD