After buying an app that helps locate a lost or stolen phone, I did a search for more similar apps and came across quite a few of them. A lot actually.

I'm trying to figure out which is the best or even most used phone recovery app. So let's have a vote. Post which one you use, or which one you believe is the best and state the reason why.

Right now I'm using "Wheres My Phone", only because it was the first phone recovery app I came across and bought it right away because of the many phones I've lost. Then I saw the e-GPS a best seller here on crackberry.com. Most have all the same general features, some have more or less. I wish it was possible to pick and pull features from these apps to make a super phone recovery app, haha.

Here's a list of lost/stolen phone recovery apps, this is just the few I came across.

Where's My Phone
    e-GPS
    BlackBerry ER--Recover Your Stolen BlackBerry
    Berry Locator
    BuddyGuard
    Roblock Anti Theft Recovery
    Tyfish Safe and Secure
    Cell Seeker
    Guppa
    PhoneBasics
    e-Mobile GPS FindMe

List more if you know any more. But lets take a vote and see which one is the best.
    02-23-10 12:07 PM
    I also chose "Where's My Phone". I read the descriptions of several on your list, and I just liked their approach the best. A couple of things I like are the ability to communicate with your BB from any email account, and the ability to change the callback number.

Coincidentally, I sent an email to their support this morning and I was quite pleased with the response. And they told me they are close to releasing a new version.
    02-23-10 03:33 PM
    I DLed BuddyGuard for FREE. Tested couple things out. Pretty easy to use. I love that if you lose it in your home or even outside the buzzing noise is soooo loud and annoying!!!! I would love for someone to find it or steal it and listen to the loud buzzing! Its great for free. The home screen icon changes to another color to warn you of upgrades or that the app needs attention. Nice and also very easy to use. Email or by text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 03:53 PM
    I personally love smrtguard, when I was recently switching from my 9000 to 9700 it was a breeze. I've tested all the features, and the free version and it fits my needs perfectly.
    02-23-10 04:13 PM
    I would like to also know the best one out of these are. Which one is the easiest on battery life? Which one doesn't need to be running in the phone's background, but can be enabled whenever need be through push? I don't want an app that HAS to always be running in the background. I would think one of them could use RIM's push to enable the application?
    02-23-10 04:21 PM
    I haven't noticed any battery change on my 9700. Been using it for bout a month. It must always be running because like I said the icon changes to let you know there's an update etc.

02-23-10 04:27 PM
    I haven't noticed any battery change on my 9700. Been using it for bout a month. It must always be running because like I said the icon changes to let you know there's an update etc.

Yeah, but would be nice if you could trigger the application from PUSH. You can always 'check for updates'. Right now my BB is never more than 5 feet away from me, so a security app wouldn't be necessary for me atm, thats why I'm looking for something that doesn't need to run, but can be enabled by push.
    02-23-10 04:31 PM
    Enabled through push is kind of worthless though, since you could easily interrupt the mobile network. Regardless it's a 3rd party app, so I don't think it could be enabled without something already running anyways.
    02-23-10 04:37 PM
    Coincidentally, I sent an email to their support this morning and I was quite pleased with the response. And they told me they are close to releasing a new version.
    Do you know if it's a free upgrade if we had already bought the previous version?

I DLed BuddyGuard for FREE. Tested couple things out. Pretty easy to use. I love that if you lose it in your home or even outside the buzzing noise is soooo loud and annoying!!!!
    Yeah, same with 'Wheres My Phone'. Really LOUD. Definite plus about the app. Great how it works even when your phone is set to silent or vibrate.

I would like to also know the best one out of these are. Which one is the easiest on battery life? Which one doesn't need to be running in the phone's background, but can be enabled whenever need be through push? I don't want an app that HAS to always be running in the background. I would think one of them could use RIM's push to enable the application?
    That would be nice it have it enabled via email command, but if the app isn't running then it can't be enabled via email command. But what you are saying is a great idea, but I don't mind something running in the backround if it's going to save my phone in the future. I've lost about 3, maybe 4 in my life and it's really annoying.
    02-23-10 05:52 PM

That would be nice it have it enabled via email command, but if the app isn't running then it can't be enabled via email command. But what you are saying is a great idea, but I don't mind something running in the backround if it's going to save my phone in the future. I've lost about 3, maybe 4 in my life and it's really annoying.
    I have to agree! If its not a battery drainer what's the worry!?

02-23-10 06:29 PM
    I see. I thought maybe it could be doable because like WeatherEye uses push to update weather and it doesn't run in the background (doesn't show in application switcher is what I mean)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-23-10 09:14 PM
    Where's My Phone is a free upgrade to everyone who purchased a previous version.

I haven't had it long enough to know if it affects battery life. I don't think it should have any significant effect. All it does is read the subject line of incoming emails. If you activate it, it will use enough power for the alert message and sound, and to send a few small emails, and to read GPS location if you request it.
    02-23-10 09:46 PM
    I use the paid version of SmrtGuard now owned by SnapSecure.
    Got discounted lifetime subscriptions during a promotion a few years back for 5 family devices.

Works flawlessly and is cross platformed.
    Snap Secure Mobile Security - Smartphone Security, Identity, and Privacy Solutions
    04-27-12 07:01 AM
    Blackberry protect ?
    07-25-12 07:03 AM
    Blackberry Protect too.

Any parent who's kids have BBs should register them all with Protect. The GPS location function is extremely accurate and useful....
    07-25-12 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD