ive gone through a few and I've had some trouble... just want to see what's out there. What have you guys tried and kept??
    07-19-09 08:22 PM
    I've tried Amaze, it seems to work okay, it has turn by turn directions, and it's free.
    07-19-09 08:52 PM
    google maps.
    free and works like a charm.
    has my location with in 4 meters. can get directions by walking, driving and transit. Transit is essential for me and i love how i can just hop on google maps and plan my trip to and from anywhere. but no turn by turn directions.
    BUT its free. no complaining from me.
    07-19-09 09:18 PM
    VZnavigator
    07-19-09 09:20 PM
    TELENAV via Sprint. It's part of my Simply Everything Multimedia Plan, and works AWESOME!
    07-19-09 09:24 PM
    google maps, it has everything i could need aside from turn by turn directions. street view comes in handy, the search function works really well, i love the traffic view, and it's nice having an interface that i'm used to from viewing it on my desktop.
    07-19-09 11:20 PM
    I really wish VZW would give us VZ Nav and Visual VM. I hate the idea of paying for something other carriers offer for free. They already stole our wifi, is it too much to ask?

Imagine a Tour with Wifi and those 2 apps included in every data plan. Oh well, I can dream. ;-)
    07-19-09 11:33 PM
    I really wish VZW would give us VZ Nav and Visual VM. I hate the idea of paying for something other carriers offer for free. They already stole our wifi, is it too much to ask?

Imagine a Tour with Wifi and those 2 apps included in every data plan. Oh well, I can dream. ;-)
    Two points on this...which can be argued to no end, just saying. I'm not sure how often VVM and other native apps that are "included" with other providers such as sprint are updated, but there are at the very least 3 updates that have been put out for VZnav in the past year alone. Those software developments don't materialize on their own. It's a high quality app that if put out through app world would probably cost the same amount. Putting restriction the GPS for only using nav for a while probably put a bad taste in alot of people's mouths as far as pricing but personally 9.99 for this app is something I'm willing to pay for, and I know a lot of people who agree after the using the quality and "features" of free GPS apps.
    07-19-09 11:41 PM
    google maps, it has everything i could need aside from turn by turn directions. street view comes in handy, the search function works really well, i love the traffic view, and it's nice having an interface that i'm used to from viewing it on my desktop.
    Google maps. No doubt the best.
    07-19-09 11:49 PM
    Amaze is good for free turn by turn directions, but VZ Navigator is better.
    07-20-09 12:20 AM
    VZnav is by far the best.. you get what you pay for.
    07-20-09 12:22 AM
    ive gone through a few and I've had some trouble... just want to see what's out there. What have you guys tried and kept??
    I'm hoping Garmin comes out with the mobile app like they had for my Curve. That is the best to me albeit a little pricey.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 12:45 AM
    Don't know about vznav... First try told me that Boston's Logan airport ( via BOS) couldn't be reached as there were no roads that went there. Not a very confidence building result. I plan to try a few others, and its not likely I'll be paying for vznav after this month!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 01:03 AM
    ...9.99 for this app is something I'm willing to pay for, and I know a lot of people who agree after the using the quality and "features" of free GPS apps.
    Sign me up! Awe...you left out the part where it's billed every month. I did get a chance to use Sprint's Nav program w/ the Pre and thought quite highly of it.
    07-20-09 03:52 AM
    Poynt works great for me.
    07-20-09 06:50 AM
    Sign me up! Awe...you left out the part where it's billed every month. I did get a chance to use Sprint's Nav program w/ the Pre and thought quite highly of it.
    i don't think sprint's nav is free. you can get it added with plans...ie simply everything, but vzn has plans that include it for "free" as well.
    07-20-09 07:03 AM
    i don't think sprint's nav is free. you can get it added with plans...ie simply everything, but vzn has plans that include it for "free" as well.
    Unfortunately there is no plan that includes the Blackberry plan and VZ Nav bundled together. The Nav is 9.99 on top of the BB plan. Still not to bad though
    If you have the Verizon Premium Data plan then it is bundled in.

Just spent a lot of time talking with VZW over the last couple days and that is how it was explained to me.

I have one premium plan (Nav included) and one Blackberry Plan (extra 9.99 for the Nav).

I haven't researched it yet but does anyone know if Garmin Mobile will work on the Tour?
    07-20-09 07:51 AM
    Well "free" in so far as cost vs Verizon.

70 bucks on Verizon gets me 450 minutes, 9pm nights, and data.

70 bucks on Sprint gets me 450 minutes, 7pm nights, data, TV, UNLIMITED SMS/MMS, Turn by Turn directions, and more.

The difference is staggering. But I do have family that runs w/ VZW and that helps out considerably. And of course, dropped calls, coverage issues, and the like just aren't things I deal with. Perhaps someday I'll check out Sprint again, but for now, I'm happy w/ my VZW Tour.
    07-20-09 06:05 PM
    This is great if Sprint works for you, but here, and where I travel, their coverage is abysmal. Also, you're treated like a second-class citizen when you walk in the door, so they end up with all the business walkie-talkie phone accounts. If you travel, Verizon is by far the better choice
    07-20-09 06:11 PM
    Also, you're treated like a second-class citizen when you walk in the door...
    That was not my experience at all. On both my initial sign up and closing of the account, I was met w/ nothing but attentive, patient, and speedy service. What's more? They didn't try to "combat" or "minimize" issues I had like several of the Verizon stores I've been too.
    07-20-09 07:02 PM
    That was not my experience at all. On both my initial sign up and closing of the account, I was met w/ nothing but attentive, patient, and speedy service. What's more? They didn't try to "combat" or "minimize" issues I had like several of the Verizon stores I've been too.
    Then perhaps it's a geographical thing, but our primary Sprint store here doesn't offer that type of service. Our VZW store, however, does. Regardless...it's the coverage that I couldn't live with back when I tried a phone. I do realize VZW is more expensive, but I just feel I am getting what I'm paying for.
    07-20-09 07:36 PM
    Well, that's a flip. 3 VZW stores and all of them treated me like garbage.
    07-21-09 02:51 AM
    ya i gave most of these a shot. there are a ton of capabilities out there. i found a decent website that gives a summary of alot of softwares out there Blackberry GPS Software and Reviews.

are there any programs with a quick constant location refresh, so google maps will update your location but only after 3 minutes or so. I know this might be battery kill but it there something that would update (and broadcast your location) every 15 or 30 seconds or whatever time interval you give it? Just wondering?
    07-21-09 10:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD