I am thinking about buying a new or used Blackberry so that I can use Slacker Radio with it. Since I have no Blackberry experience what so ever, I am looking for suggestions on what Blackberry to get. Does Slacker work equally well with all of them? Is it better to get a touch screen Blackberry? I know that there are Blackberries on different networks and right now I am thinking of a used CDMA Blackberry that will work with Page Plus Cellular (a Verizon MVNO). Also, can you store the same amount of content on all of the Blackberries or do the Blackberries vary significantly in memory capacity?

I was ideally hoping to get a Blackberry that would also have a stand alone GPS that could be used without the data connection, but I gather that is very difficult to do. If I understand it correctly, the Blackberry GPS can be accessed, but getting maps on the device seems to be the problem.
    09-17-09 11:51 PM
    For multimedia nothing beats the Storm. Wait til the Storm 2 is out in a month or so.
    09-18-09 12:50 AM
    Slacker caching, the only thing that really matters is the size of the memory card. So in that regard the BB doesn't matter.

Just don't get an older BB with a slow cpu and it shouldn't matter.
    09-18-09 02:59 AM
    slacker is great on the storm
    09-18-09 03:18 AM
    Slacker is also very good on the Tour. As Papped stated earlier, as long as you have a decent processor and a large SD Card, even an 8330 would work very well.
    09-18-09 06:04 AM
    I was ideally hoping to get a Blackberry that would also have a stand alone GPS that could be used without the data connection, but I gather that is very difficult to do. If I understand it correctly, the Blackberry GPS can be accessed, but getting maps on the device seems to be the problem.
    How do you plan on using slacker without data? And Pandora's way better
    09-18-09 07:57 AM
    How do you plan on using slacker without data? And Pandora's way better
    Slacker Radio does not stream on Blackberry or it own players. It caches the content. I am hoping to be able to update the content via USB cable, like I do on my G1 and G2, or with a very modest data plan. Since the Blackberry Storm does not have wifi, it is critical for me to find out ahead of time if this well work. As I understand it, Pandora, on the other hand, streams its content, thus a continuous dta stream is required.
    09-18-09 04:49 PM
    Slacker Radio does not stream on Blackberry or it own players. It caches the content. I am hoping to be able to update the content via USB cable, like I do on my G1 and G2, or with a very modest data plan. Since the Blackberry Storm does not have wifi, it is critical for me to find out ahead of time if this well work. As I understand it, Pandora, on the other hand, streams its content, thus a continuous dta stream is required.
    Slacker streams just fine on my 8900. Now and then it glitches if I get a weak signal, but no doubt about it...it streams! The cache feature works much better of course but I rarely use it.
    09-18-09 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD