Hey everyone! I'm finally upgrading after 2 years with the Pearl to the S2. I'm pretty excited but extremely overwhelmed by all the information found in various forums (crackberry.com included).

The only software I added to my Pearl was Opera and Pandora. I used Google Maps on occasion, but only when TeleNav (through Alltel) wasn't working.

Along with Facebook, I do plan on dl'd Opera and Pandora. However, I'm curious about what **MUST HAVE** apps you all have encountered and recommend.

I'm also a little intimidated by the touchscreen, and I hope that I'll be able to use "multitap" as my method of input. I've heard that the auto-complete can be disabled, however I've also heard that it can't. I am DEFINITELY not a fan of the predictive text. Along with this issue, do you have any other suggestions for ways to tweak the phone for a more user friendly experience? I'm sure I'll come up with questions as I go, as I should be receiving my phone sometime tomorrow

Thanks!
    01-06-10 03:09 PM
    I'm a junkie. I like seeing what different apps can make this great phone do. I've had a Storm2 for about 1.5 months and am still playing with it. I have the following apps:

7Digital - music/music store
    Addictive Tower Defense - game
    AnywhereAbs - workout
    berryweather
    DriveSafely - reads emails/texts aloud while driving
    edocrab - barcode scanner
    fixmotools - battery warning, other internal apps:
    Google maps
    Guitar Trainer
    Labryinth Lite - game
    level
    Nativa Translator
    Open Table - reservations
    Opera Mini 5 beta 2
    Pandora
    PatternLock
    Poynt
    ProTranslateLite
    QuickLaunch
    Reflect7 - Theme
    ScoreMobile - sport scores
    TeleNav - turn by turn
    Trapster - where the speed cameras/red light cameras are
    Viigo
    Visual Voice Mail
    Vlingo Plus - speech to text

So you can see, I download a lot of stuff...play with it...and if it is useful keep it. I find I use DriveSafe.ly, Trapster, music, Telenav and Poynt alot, but that is just me.
    Last edited by kefoxy; 01-20-10 at 02:00 PM. Reason: TeleNav is not free - only a trial period.
    01-06-10 03:23 PM
    Some of those sounds pretty cool (esp the workout one!)

Whats the best way to get apps? Direct through the corresponding site or through appworld?
    01-06-10 03:26 PM
    01-06-10 03:27 PM
    PBA Bowling 2
    Amazon
    Ebay
    BerryWeather
    Shazam
    Fandango and/or Flickster
    OpenTable
    Poynt
    Pandora
    Traffic (if you live in a congested area)
    Texts From Last Night (if you're into that kinda thing)
    Time
    BusinessWeek
    Ubertwitter if you use twitter
    UrbanSpoon
    YouTube
    QuickLaunch
    Patternlock or StormSlider
    Where
    If you're a car enthusiast, DynoStorm

And check out some themes.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 01-06-10 at 03:30 PM.
    01-06-10 03:28 PM
    Some of those sounds pretty cool (esp the workout one!)

Whats the best way to get apps? Direct through the corresponding site or through appworld?
    I'd suggest appworld if you can get them there (most of them are available there).

That way, if there's an update available, appworld will automatically update you.
    01-06-10 03:28 PM
    thats a long list.
    the apps i use the most or like the most are:
    bebuzz (i like cool colors)
    quicklaunch (easy access to apps so i dont have to clutter my home screen)
    poynt (find places or things)
    google maps (to me, its better than bb maps)
    score mobile (if youre into sports. this is a gotta have)

those are my main apps. after that it becomes preference like games or viigo etc. congrats and enjoy.
    01-06-10 03:29 PM
    these are so great! thanks so much! I'm googling as we speak to learn more about each one
    01-06-10 03:39 PM
    i prefer slacker to pandora, so that's what i use for music. also, if you had telenav on alltel, you can port your account over to your S2 as long as you have the same phone number. for some reason, i had unlimited free access to telenav when i was on alltel, and it carried over to my S2 flawlessly.

other apps i use frequently:
    Poynt (restaurant/movie/business info)
    ForceRadioOn (turns your mobile connection back on when your battery is "too low for use")
    Flycast (nice for listening to local stations when you're on the go, i mainly use it for sports)
    Edocrab (bar code reader, give you access to other stores carrying the product plus prices/reviews)
    SmartBBattery (displays your battery charge info as a percentage)
    ScoreMobile (sports scores)
    BubbleChain, Dots, Labyrinth Lite (fun time wasters)

benefit of every app on this list.... they're FREE!!
    01-06-10 03:40 PM
    wow...I didn't realize that I could port telenav over. I was under the assumption I had to purchase Verizon's version...hmm...
    01-06-10 03:42 PM
    wow...I didn't realize that I could port telenav over. I was under the assumption I had to purchase Verizon's version...hmm...
    nope, head over to Telenav OTA from your phone, then click verizon -> blackberry -> 9550. after i downloaded it, i logged in with my info from my alltel 8330 and it worked fine. their website still says i have a 50 year membership at a price of $0, so i'm not complaining. haha.
    01-06-10 03:45 PM
    Oh, see it was already on my Alltel phone and it was charged directly to my bill each month. I never had any log-on information that I used so I'm not even sure what info to use
    01-06-10 03:50 PM
    Oh, see it was already on my Alltel phone and it was charged directly to my bill each month. I never had any log-on information that I used so I'm not even sure what info to use
    probably have to create a new account after you download then. it is worth it, regardless, when you compare to VZ nav though. VZ nav is $9.95/month and Telenav is $99.95 lifetime. that means 10 months of VZ nav will run you just as much as telenav will forever. i also MUCH prefer the layout and function of Telenav.
    01-06-10 03:53 PM
    I'll have to cancel the Verizon one then...they already put it on the phone (which I suppose, why would they tell me otherwise!?). Are you aware of any updates to Telenav? I've been on some new roads that it didn't recognize and that irritated me to no end.
    01-06-10 03:55 PM
    I'll have to cancel the Verizon one then...they already put it on the phone (which I suppose, why would they tell me otherwise!?). Are you aware of any updates to Telenav? I've been on some new roads that it didn't recognize and that irritated me to no end.
    it is definitely an updated version over the one i had on my curve. i never had any problems with unrecognized roads before, so i can't really say if any roads have been added, but it has definitely been polished up since i downloaded it on the 8330. 3D maps have also been added which i like alot. makes it seem exactly like using the garmin GPS unit in my girlfriend's car.
    01-06-10 03:59 PM
    I'm a junkie. I like seeing what different apps can make this great phone do. I've had a Storm2 for about 1.5 months and am still playing with it. I have the following apps:

7Digital - music/music store
    Addictive Tower Defense - game
    AnywhereAbs - workout
    berryweather
    DriveSafely - reads emails/texts aloud while driving
    edocrab - barcode scanner
    fixmotools - battery warning, other internal apps:
    Google maps
    Guitar Trainer
    Labryinth Lite - game
    level
    Nativa Translator
    Open Table - reservations
    Opera Mini 5 beta 2
    Pandora
    PatternLock
    Poynt
    ProTranslateLite
    QuickLaunch
    Reflect7 - Theme
    ScoreMobile - sport scores
    TeleNav - free turn by turn
    Trapster - where the speed cameras/red light cameras are
    Viigo
    Visual Voice Mail
    Vlingo Plus - speech to text

So you can see, I download a lot of stuff...play with it...and if it is useful keep it. I find I use DriveSafe.ly, Trapster, music, Telenav and Poynt alot, but that is just me.

Since when is telenav free?
    01-06-10 07:11 PM
    my bad. I'll edit the list.
    01-20-10 01:59 PM
    yes, you can absolutely disable the predictive text. Just go to options>language text input.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-10 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD