I had noted some minor memory leak with my Storm 9530. I believe I have tracked down the culprit and it's none other than one of my favorite apps, BerryWeather. To test out my hunch, I turned off BerryWeather from updating at launch as well as set the update interval to None. I ran my device for nearly 24 hours, using the phone as I typically would. My device would boot up with 37.2MB and then drift to 36.8MB as files would be cached, etc. My memory held constant at 36.8MB based on every 30 minute recording of free memory using MeterBerry. This stayed unchanged for nearly 20 hours.

I then toggled BerryWeather to update every 15 minutes, within 30 minutes I saw my memory drop to 36.7MB, it then continued to drift downware loosing a .1MB every few hours. Within 12 hours I was then at 35.7MB. Within another 8 hours this had dropped to 35.1MB. I then turned off the updates and my memory then held constant once again at 35.1MB for the next 3 hours, coincidence???

Not sure of technically what is happening under the hood of the code, but looking at the data it appears that when BerryWeather pulls an update it's not releasing the memory (or all of it anyway).

Curious if others have noted anything similar in their experience.
    08-13-09 03:18 PM
    I can confirm that with version 1.5.47, every time I update I lose .01mb of mem. That's very mild considering that I update every hour and a total day would only reduce mem by -.24 theoretically. What version of Berryweather are you running?
    08-13-09 04:21 PM
    I can confirm that with version 1.5.47, every time I update I lose .01mb of mem. That's very mild considering that I update every hour and a total day would only reduce mem by -.24 theoretically. What version of Berryweather are you running?
    Looks like my update is skimming a little more memory that the .01MB you see. How many locations are you updating? Are you using GPS as one of those locations? I'm running 1.5.47 as well.
    08-13-09 05:14 PM
    i havent noticed any difference from my memory but i dont check it that often.
    08-13-09 07:00 PM
    I just want to compliment on how you presented this post. Gj =)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 07:49 PM
    Looks like my update is skimming a little more memory that the .01MB you see. How many locations are you updating? Are you using GPS as one of those locations? I'm running 1.5.47 as well.
    I update one location plus GPS and am on .151.

08-13-09 09:19 PM
    .01 MB leak per update isn't too bad. BerryWeather is my favorite weather app. So I can live with that sloooowww leak.
    08-13-09 09:31 PM
    .01 MB leak per update isn't too bad. BerryWeather is my favorite weather app. So I can live with that sloooowww leak.
    With 15 minute updates that's 1MB leak every 24 hours. With 35 other apps on my phone I've shown that the memory is solid with all the other apps that I use in a day, so great job by RIM on the OS But knowing what we know, BerryWeather developer should review the code and fix the leak as it should be obvious what the issue is.
    08-13-09 10:39 PM
    I update one location plus GPS and am on .151.

I have same config then as you. Figuring that I have one update every 15 minutes and I'm seeing .1MB leak per 2-3 hours, that's also consistent with a .01MB leak per update. However, that's 1MB per day. I've posted same info on BellShare's site, maybe they'll take an interest
    08-13-09 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD