Hey all,

Just wondering if it was normal for BerryWeather not to update its location using GPS if I am on Verizon (Curve 8330). From my understanding, Verizon only allows BB Maps and VZ Navigator use of its GPS, don't ask me why, I think it is absolutely ridiculous!

Thanks!
    08-09-09 08:19 PM
    That's the only way Berryweather can update on Verizon. It can't use cell tower location as I pointed out on the other thread about Berryweather.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 11:57 PM
    Yeah I wish that the GPS location would show when using BerryWeather as it does when using the BB maps or VzwNavigator too , suks it don't :/
    08-10-09 09:21 AM
    Berryweather can only use cell tower for location for the 8330... The Storm 9530 and the Tour 9630 can lock on GPS location....
    08-10-09 09:24 AM
    When I select "add current location" it says it's been added but then I go back and it says "No data available". Any idea why?
    08-10-09 09:30 AM
    When I select "add current location" it says it's been added but then I go back and it says "No data available". Any idea why?
    www.bellshare.com • View topic - GPS/Cell location setting
    08-10-09 09:37 AM
    Thank you! That explains everything...it's no big deal, I can live without it for now
    08-10-09 11:21 AM
    Berryweather can only use cell tower for location for the 8330... The Storm 9530 and the Tour 9630 can lock on GPS location....
    This is a quote by the maker of Berryweather, Bellshare.

"BerryWeather's cell location does currently not work on CDMA phones. It will only work for GSM devices.

BerryWeather queries the current GSM tower ids and uses these to locate the phone.

CDMA devices provide their location to 3rd party applications through the same interface as GPS does.

So technically BerryWeather's cell location is 'GSM cell location' and BerryWeather's GPS is 'GPS or CDMA cell location'.

Unfortunately most carriers (like Verizon) not only limit the GPS but also the CDMA cell location feature.

The only way around this would be to query CDMA cell towers just like we do for GSM and try to locate the device. Problem here is that we simply do not have a tower database for CDMA networks.

Some of you might ask why Google maps works,
    Google probably has the CDMA tower database... It does not have to query GPS nor CDMA cell location.

As far as I know unassisted GPS should work on Verizon. It will just take a lot longer to get a lock."

The beta testers were told that Berryweather has a currently unused function to store tower locations to a database for future use.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 02:12 PM
    Thanks very much!
    08-10-09 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD