Hey all,

So, I recently got BerryWeather for my Curve 8330 and I love it, except I don't know how to use it, LOL. Can someone explain to me the basics of how to use the application? I would really appreciate it, since I spent $10 on it and I don't know how to use it the right way.

Thanks!
    08-08-09 11:03 AM
    What are you looking to do? If you have a 8330, you're most likely on a CDMA carrier so custom radar through GPS tracking is probably out the window (I'm on WAP right now, so I can't see your carrier).

If you're looking to switch displays, press the trackball. Backscreens and other display options are in your settings..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 11:14 AM
    What I was looking to do was look at a full detailed weather report, probably not an option, which is fine. As long as I can get some sort of good weather report, that's fine. Is there a way to do that in the application (all I can seem to get is the slimmed down version of the forecast)

Thanks!
    08-08-09 11:16 AM
    Berryweather doesn't currently have detailed weather forecasts.

I beta tested it and that is a request that has been made several times so hopefully a future version will have that capability.

You can find a lot of information about Berryweather here: www.bellshare.com • View forum - BerryWeather

08-08-09 01:39 PM
    Thanks! It is still a great weather app!
    08-08-09 02:30 PM
    What are you looking to do? If you have a 8330, you're most likely on a CDMA carrier so custom radar through GPS tracking is probably out the window (I'm on WAP right now, so I can't see your carrier).

If you're looking to switch displays, press the trackball. Backscreens and other display options are in your settings..

just some info, I am with Sprint which is a CDMA phone and on my 8330 I use BerryWeather and it does indeed have GPS weather maps, that is one of the great features of the upgraded new Berry Weather. I even made a custom radar map for myself using Accuweather. You can even pick GPS as your location instead of using a zipcode and it will pull weather forecasts for wherever you happen to be.
    08-08-09 07:06 PM
    just some info, I am with Sprint which is a CDMA phone and on my 8330 I use BerryWeather and it does indeed have GPS weather maps, that is one of the great features of the upgraded new Berry Weather. I even made a custom radar map for myself using Accuweather. You can even pick GPS as your location instead of using a zipcode and it will pull weather forecasts for wherever you happen to be.
    The OP has VZW and if I'm not mistaken, Big Red blocks all 3rd party apps from GPS with the exceptions of BB Maps and VZ Navigator. I had the Where app for a short time, and while it did find my location, I don't think it was via GPS.
    08-08-09 08:52 PM
    Here is what Bellshare, the developer of Berryweather says about the CDMA carriers.

"BerryWeather's cell location does currently not work on CDMA phones. It will only work for GSM devices.

BerryWeather queries the current GSM tower ids and uses these to locate the phone.

CDMA devices provide their location to 3rd party applications through the same interface as GPS does.

So technically BerryWeather's cell location is 'GSM cell location' and BerryWeather's GPS is 'GPS or CDMA cell location'.

Unfortunately most carriers (like Verizon) not only limit the GPS but also the CDMA cell location feature.

The only way around this would be to query CDMA cell towers just like we do for GSM and try to locate the device. Problem here is that we simply do not have a tower database for CDMA networks.

Some of might ask why Google maps works,
    Google probably has the CDMA tower database... It does not have to query GPS nor CDMA cell location.

As far as I know unassisted GPS should work on Verizon. It will just take a lot longer to get a lock."

The beta testers were told that Berryweather has a currently unused function to store tower locations to a database for future use.

Hope this helps.

08-08-09 11:42 PM
    I looked at BerryWeather and instead went with WeatherBug (which has been around for ages on desktops). It is a free app and seems to be doing quite well. (Just adding that in there for others that might be looking to not have to pay for it.)

Question though: Is WeatherBerry able to give you good (on demand) live radar images? For WeatherBug I have to go through two or three screens on the browser before I see them ...
    08-09-09 07:19 AM
    IF you want decent radar and Weather on a BB - I'd look at weathertap.com - and subscribe to their service... it's great on your computer alone - and their mobile interface to their service is included - I'm a very satisfied user.
    08-09-09 08:40 AM
    For the 1 week plus that I've owned BerryWeather, I have NEVER gotten accurate temperature readings for my zip or surrounding zip codes!

Their customer service has refused to respond to my emails.

Needless to say, the application has been uninstalled, and classified as a bad debt!

For now I am back to checking weather on The Weather Channel Mobile, using my browser. At least it is accurate!
    08-09-09 09:02 AM
    For the 1 week plus that I've owned BerryWeather, I have NEVER gotten accurate temperature readings for my zip or surrounding zip codes!

Their customer service has refused to respond to my emails.

Needless to say, the application has been uninstalled, and classified as a bad debt!

For now I am back to checking weather on The Weather Channel Mobile, using my browser. At least it is accurate!
    I don't know if you've read any of the posts this past week concerning Berryweather but if you didn't you might want to consider installing it again to make sure.

Berryweather was experiencing server problems even to the point it was completely down one day for the most part. Over at Bellshare they have figured out what the problems were and have finally gotten it working correctly.

08-09-09 09:15 AM
    Question though: Is WeatherBerry able to give you good (on demand) live radar images? For WeatherBug I have to go through two or three screens on the browser before I see them ...
    That is one of the features that make Berryweather stand out from the other weather apps. It has customizable radar. You don't have to log on to a weather site. Berryweather pulls the mapping info to your phone. You can use the stock radar or you can customize it with another radar map like Accuweather or Weatherunderground.

08-09-09 09:18 AM
    Well I read what was posted above about GPS and a CDMA phone, but I'm just saying that I use a GPS location for my weather instead of putting in a zip code and it does change locations as I move about. I am happy with the results.

As far as a custom radar map in Berry Weather, you click on Show Radar Map and click Otions and then Edit Custom Radar Map and insert the internet address of your custom map. There are several good ones around and you just insert your latitude and longitude for your city and make it your own. On the Bellshare website in their BW forum, there is a thread specifically showing how to create a custom map, and they are all animated too.
    08-09-09 09:54 AM
    We've actually got a radar map on the Bellshare site that doesn't need zip code or lat and long.
    Its a weatherunderground map.

08-09-09 10:03 AM
    Not sure what this "custom radar map" is but since I have a CDMA phone (Verizon) and it doesn't support GPS, I am just going to stay with the map that came with BerryWeather. Works fine for me...
    08-09-09 10:37 AM
    I don't know if you've read any of the posts this past week concerning Berryweather but if you didn't you might want to consider installing it again to make sure.

Berryweather was experiencing server problems even to the point it was completely down one day for the most part. Over at Bellshare they have figured out what the problems were and have finally gotten it working correctly.

Ok.... I must admit, I did not search the forums here. But like I said, I sent customer support an email, and the least they could have done would have been to respond, telling me they were experiencing some tech problems. Doesn't say much for their support, and unfortunately that is a bit of a put off for me.

Anyway, thank you for the information. I will re-install the application, and see how it performs this time around.

Again, many thanks!

08-09-09 12:10 PM
    Not sure what this "custom radar map" is but since I have a CDMA phone (Verizon) and it doesn't support GPS, I am just going to stay with the map that came with BerryWeather. Works fine for me...
    Yeah I don't use the custom radar map either I just use the default radar map that came with BerryWeather works good enough still wish it would zoom more to like a street level zoom is my only issue with this or many off the apps including weatherbug (WeatherBug Elite does zoom as close as I need on my Ipod touch though)and weatherunderground.
    I have use other local wap radar sites that have a radar that zooms to street level but just not as convenient to access as BerryWeather since I have a short cut though my Conv. key for BW
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-09-09 at 01:09 PM.
    08-09-09 01:02 PM
    You can change the zoom levels in some of the customizable maps.

08-09-09 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD