Let me first state that I love BerryWeather. I've tried every weather app there is and just prefer BW.

Anyways, does anyone know if any future version of BW will support cell phone location using Verizon. Yes, I know the GPS on my phone is locked, but apps like Google Maps can use cell phone triangulation so I just don't understand why BW can't.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Jeff
    07-22-09 10:26 PM
    This is what the maker of Berryweather says about the issue:

BerryWeather's cell location does currently not work on CDMA phones. It will only work for GSM devices.

BerryWeather queries the current GSM tower ids and uses these to locate the phone.

CDMA devices provide their location to 3rd party applications through the same interface as GPS does.

So technically BerryWeather's cell location is 'GSM cell location' and BerryWeather's GPS is 'GPS or CDMA cell location'.

Unfortunately most carriers (like Verizon) not only limit the GPS but also the CDMA cell location feature.

The only way around this would be to query CDMA cell towers just like we do for GSM and try to locate the device. Problem here is that we simply do not have a tower database for CDMA networks.

Did that make sense?

Google probably has the CDMA tower database... It does not have to query GPS nor CDMA cell location.

As far as I know unassisted GPS should work on Verizon. It will just take a lot longer to get a lock.

Bellshare will be making a database with a feature Berryweather has built in that is not being used currently.
    07-23-09 07:39 AM
    That makes perfect sense and thanks for the reply I look forward to future updates. Thanks for sharing this info with me!

Jeff
    07-23-09 10:33 PM
    That makes perfect sense and thanks for the reply I look forward to future updates. Thanks for sharing this info with me!

Jeff
    No problem at all.
    Bellshare has their own support and beta forums at www.bellshare.com/forum .
    Come check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD