Anyone else else noticing this? I haven't changed one other thing on my 9000. I run .266 and installed the berry weather 1.5 program with 3 locations set and updating every 15 minutes.

I lose about 7 meg of memory over a 12 hour period (I don't have much to drain from, already running soo many apps).

Anyone else seeing the same?

Thanks
    06-27-09 03:44 PM
    i have a 8900 and no memory drain you may want to increase your update times to 2-3hrs (mine set 2hrs) since you have 3 locations and i dont believe most temps will fluctuate much in 15 mn , so every 15mn the app is using memory to update all your locations, i have 2loc but can only be in 1 location at a time so i use 2 hrs and (its very stable) as well as for advisory try changing and monitor difference
    06-27-09 03:54 PM
    I used the beta version of BerryWeather 1.5 for a few days (with .266) and it hammered my memory and batt life. I updated to the release version as soon as it can out and life has been dandy ever since.

It seems the number of device/app combinations that can cause undesired effects is virtually innumerable.

All is well to date using .282. I have 3 locations and the update is set at 1 hour.
    06-27-09 04:03 PM
    With my 8900 and nothing else different, it drained my Memory and Battery like no other App has done before, so I decided that I didn't want it, I kept my BBWeather, together with QuickLaunch and Radar Maps Shortcuts posted here, they fit my needs.
    06-27-09 09:35 PM
    No drain here on my 8900 with JiveTalk and UberTwitter also running in the background.
    06-27-09 09:35 PM
    I have it set up to update every 30min and no drain here. Maybe you should extend the time between updates?
    06-27-09 09:44 PM
    Anyone else else noticing this? I haven't changed one other thing on my 9000. I run .266 and installed the berry weather 1.5 program with 3 locations set and updating every 15 minutes.

I lose about 7 meg of memory over a 12 hour period (I don't have much to drain from, already running soo many apps).

Anyone else seeing the same?

Thanks
    Get weather bug. It's free and works just as well. I've got the 3 day trial on mine and I think you may be right about battery drain.
    06-27-09 09:53 PM
    I go at least a day between charges and BerryWeather is updating 4 locations for all the time. I hover around 35MB free mem with about 25 3rd party apps installed and never do a battery pull.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 10:16 PM
    No problems with Beryyweather here... Why do you need it to update so often? I keep mine set at 2 hours with no problems.

06-27-09 11:07 PM
    I had it set for 30 minutes updates, just like I have BBweather and that didn't fix the drain issue. Again, before Berryweather I always had over 105 MB free, always, and my battery lasted between 1.5-2 days, after installing only Berryweather, in less than a day I needed to recharhe and my memory went down to a first time record of 95MB free. Want more proof?, just uninstalled it and there I'm back to 105 MB.

06-27-09 11:08 PM
    I'm not sure what is accounting for the different experiences people are having Bellshare stuff works beautifully on my Curve and Bold.

I have to say though, I find it somewhat funny to hear 8900 users worried about 95MB free. That's WAAAAAAAY more than enough to keep the OS running perfectly smoothly.
    06-28-09 02:22 AM
    I'm not sure what is accounting for the different experiences people are having Bellshare stuff works beautifully on my Curve and Bold.

I have to say though, I find it somewhat funny to hear 8900 users worried about 95MB free. That's WAAAAAAAY more than enough to keep the OS running perfectly smoothly.
    Because for the first time in more than 3 months with my phone, it began to work a little funny and lagging a little changing screens and worst, the damn clock appearing in my screen A LOT.

People if you are happy with your $ 10 app that's great for you, but for me if I pay for an app it's unacceptable to have this kind of performance, when I already have a weather app that I can update info every 30 minutes and together with the Accuweather shortcuts, brings me what I need and more, without the worries of battery drain and with BB working as expected.

06-28-09 07:34 AM
    did it ever occur to any of you that running apps in the background will drain your memory? exit the berry weather or anything not being imediately used when leaving that app!!! berry weather is alot of updating and like i said think about what it does and then ask again why it is draining ur memory!!!
    06-28-09 01:26 PM
    i forgot to ask, do any of you clean your casche memory EVER???
    06-28-09 01:27 PM
    Did it ever occur to you that this is what this apps are for? If they ask for money for an app with a feature of pull weather info every certain time, then they also know that this app is to be run in the background.

Again, people if you like any app and want to defend it as it was your own, great for you, but don't come here talking like if we with battery and memory issues because of it can't talk about it. I'll keep doing it all that I want to, this is an open Forum, and that's what this forums are for.

Second, BBweather, a simple and FREE app works great, running always in the background, pulling info when I set it to, and NO memory or battery drain, that's the least a $10 app should be doing also.

For last, the amount of times I clean my cache memory it's only of my concern, but will just tell you that it's enough to keep my 8900 running perfectly, of course, without having BerryWeather installed.

Last edited by erasat; 06-28-09 at 04:18 PM.
    06-28-09 03:57 PM

Second, BBweather, a simple and FREE app works great, running always in the background, pulling info when I set it to, and NO memory or battery drain, that's the least a $10 app should be doing also.

For last, the amount of times I clean my cache memory it's only of my concern, but will just tell you that it'se enough to keep my 8900 running perfectly, of course, without having BerryWeather installed.

Forget about defending apps..for each his own

It was very nice of you to take thread off topic promoting BBweather in Berryweather thread.
    Your Point made...good job
    Last edited by Slingbox; 06-28-09 at 04:25 PM.
    06-28-09 04:21 PM
    Forget about defending apps..for each his own

I Would like to thank you for taking thread off topic promoting BBweather in Berryweather thread.
    Your job is done.
    Slingbox, I think you got it all wrong, I'm not defending any App or promoting it here, I just needed to mention that a free App does something than a paying app is not doing for a bunch of us, that's all. Not taking this thread off topic as it completely directed to OP concerns. If in the time Berryweather was installed in my 8900 it would have performed as expected, then I might be here giving the OP ideas what to look for to correct the issue, but guys are having the same issues than the OP, so then I'm here telling him that it's not his fault or that he has something wrong, is the App that is causing it.
    Last edited by erasat; 06-28-09 at 04:35 PM.
    06-28-09 04:26 PM
    Odd to read about your problems -- I've been using BerryWeather since it was first available, and never ran into the kind of issues you're reporting. Works great on my 8900, as have all the prior versions. No noticeable memory leak, and no lag that I'm aware of.

I also used BBWeather in the past, and tried all the other free weather apps as well. BBWeather had been my favorite, but it was never quite 100% what I was looking for. BerryWeather finally came out with the "look & feel" of an attractive professional product, and seems to be well supported -- it was a treat, for example, to see the recent free upgrade including a GPS location and weather maps.

One difference, btw: BBWeather does NOT run continuously in the background as I understand it. From what I recall, it runs, then reschedules itself to run again, downloading the data as per the schedule you set. The icon is updated when the download occurs, but the program (I believe) shuts itself off until either 1) you load it again, or 2) the background update task is run by the BB scheduler.

BerryWeather does, indeed, run continuously. But as noted earlier, it doesn't seem to use many resources. Battery life seems fine, memory seems unaffected, and I've noticed no lagginess at all that I can associate with this.

I'm not questioning what you report -- just confused. I'm always keeping an eye on things that affect my 8900's performance, as I really like it to be 100% responsive and funtional. I've been using BerryWeather for quite a while, and have simply had no issues with it regarding resources or responsiveness. I wonder what the difference might be?
    06-28-09 04:28 PM
    Odd to read about your problems -- I've been using BerryWeather since it was first available, and never ran into the kind of issues you're reporting. Works great on my 8900, as have all the prior versions. No noticeable memory leak, and no lag that I'm aware of.

I also used BBWeather in the past, and tried all the other free weather apps as well. BBWeather had been my favorite, but it was never quite 100% what I was looking for. BerryWeather finally came out with the "look & feel" of an attractive professional product, and seems to be well supported -- it was a treat, for example, to see the recent free upgrade including a GPS location and weather maps.

One difference, btw: BBWeather does NOT run continuously in the background as I understand it. From what I recall, it runs, then reschedules itself to run again, downloading the data as per the schedule you set. The icon is updated when the download occurs, but the program (I believe) shuts itself off until either 1) you load it again, or 2) the background update task is run by the BB scheduler.

BerryWeather does, indeed, run continuously. But as noted earlier, it doesn't seem to use many resources. Battery life seems fine, memory seems unaffected, and I've noticed no lagginess at all that I can associate with this.

I'm not questioning what you report -- just confused. I'm always keeping an eye on things that affect my 8900's performance, as I really like it to be 100% responsive and funtional. I've been using BerryWeather for quite a while, and have simply had no issues with it regarding resources or responsiveness. I wonder what the difference might be?
    Thanks for an educated response, that's exactly what we are trying to do here, not going against anybody simply because you don't have the same issues, if people are having issues, then we should post them here so people can be aware and try to see where the difference are. You may be right about BBweather not running all the time, I only know that everytime I look, my icon is there and have the info I need, until next update.

Different devices act different even using same Apps and OS, and this is another proof of that.
    06-28-09 04:33 PM
    Thanks for an educated response, that's exactly what we are trying to do here, not going against anybody simply because you don't have the same issues, if people are having issues, then we should post them here so people can be aware and try to see where the difference are. You may be right about BBweather not running all the time, I only know that everytime I look, my icon is there and have the info I need, until next update.

Different devices act different even using same Apps and OS, and this is another proof of that.
    I want to thank you for your educated post.

Its very good of you to look out for OP helping him find memory drain culprit on his device.
    For future reference,
    Update intervals ,Map upload sizes ,how many maps are being used,how many locations active and Apps that could be causing memory conflict are very important factors that cause memory drain

Also thanks for letting me know lots of valuable info about BBweather,Great info is hard to find and you provided it.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 06-28-09 at 05:19 PM.
    06-28-09 05:00 PM
    It seems that some people here take this too seriously, it's like they were the developer or something.

OP have same issues I had, solution for me, get rid of it, that's simple, solution for him from you guys defending this app is, don't upload as often as you want, don't add the locations you want, keep cleaning your cache, close it and keep an ugly icon on you BB while not in use, what else do you want me to tell him? He wanted to have simple and basic features running and it didn't work as expected, same than me and a bunch of others, is this our fault?

Hey dude, look for someone else to go against here as Internet and/or forums discussions are as stupid as the people trying to keep with them. Good luck in your life.

Last edited by erasat; 06-28-09 at 05:23 PM.
    06-28-09 05:21 PM
    It seems that some people here take this too seriously, it's like they were the developer or something.

OP have same issues I had, solution for me, get rid of it, that's simple, solution for him from you guys defending this app is, don'te upload as often as you want, don't add the locations you want, keep cleaning your cache, close it and keep an ugly icon on you BB while not in use, what else do you want me to tell him? He wanted to have simple and basic features running and it didn't work as expected, same than me and a bunch of others, is this our fault?

Hey dude, look for someone else to go against here as Internet and/or forums discussions are as stupid as the people trying to keep with them.

Once again thanks for valuable info provided ,I'm sure OP appreciates the time you've taken to address his issues.
    06-28-09 05:27 PM
    Hey erasat.....you use the custom radar on berryweather yet??? Or even try berryweather???

06-28-09 05:37 PM
    Just asking...hope your not feeding off other OPs and trying bash a great app????

06-28-09 05:49 PM
    Just asking...hope your not feeding off other OPs and trying bash a great app????

He is NOT bashing.
    The older version of Berryweather he used wasn't so great cleaning cache and had separate update intervals for locations which caused memory hit for some.

Current 1.5 doesn't have such issues.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 06-28-09 at 06:02 PM.
    06-28-09 05:56 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD