I've been playing around and doing a bit of researching about Google Voice and Google Voice Mobile today.

A couple of questions...

Aside from the free texting, "visual" voicemail, custom greetings, etc., what are the main benefits of having Google Voice on a mobile phone?

Am I correct in assuming that all calls made through Google Voice Mobile will handled entirely via my AT&T data plan, and not affect my minutes?

I've read that call quality can be better since the calls are essentially "Internet" calls. Is this true across the board, or only when connected to W-Fi?

How do I integrate my address book into Google Voice Mobile? If I hit Menu > Address Book, I am taken to my BB address book in which I can only make a normal phone call. There is no option for making a Google Voice phone call.

Am I correct that as of right now, whether it is via Google Voice on the laptop of Google Voice Mobile, calls can only originate in the US and Canada, whether one is connected to Wi-Fi or not?
    09-15-10 01:32 PM
    You can use it to send text messages, and play your voice mail directly from the app rather than having to download them via the browser.
    09-15-10 11:51 PM
    You are incorrect about using data for calls. GV dials an access number and routes your call through it. It still uses your minutes.

I really like the visual voicemail with transcription.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 02:05 AM
    I tried it and ended up going back to RIM's VisualMail...the transcript was absolutely horrendous not just for one person but for everybody. I guess I just had back luck with it.
    09-16-10 02:41 AM
    The GV number serves me well for business purposes. Transcripts of voice mail are for the most part acceptable if not great.

Having a separate number to use for client and other commercial contact is a wonder. Calls to GV go straight to voice mail. Other calls to my personal number ring and I can answer. I am more than happy to share the GV number with most anyone these days. If no message is left then I know they do not wish to talk to me.

Call quality is fine. No issues at all.

Calling any contact from GV is easy from the menu. Otherwise I type in the number as most of the people I call from that number are not on my contact list.
    09-16-10 07:17 AM
    I use my GV number as my house phone now and have it on my cell phone. That way I can control who gets my cell # or not as I'm picky about that.

No quality issues for me. I don't use vvm or the transcription though.
    09-16-10 07:30 AM
    While the transcriptions aren't always real accurate, they are good enough to give me an idea of the message. I can always open my GV app on the bb and hear the message directly. It's a great tool.
    09-16-10 08:29 AM
    How do I integrate my address book into Google Voice Mobile? If I hit Menu > Address Book, I am taken to my BB address book in which I can only make a normal phone call. There is no option for making a Google Voice phone call.
    My menu has two options on a contact, either call or SMS using Google Voice - alongside the normal options. I rarely ever go into address book though, what I do is start typing the person's name and let the dialer figure out who I mean, then hit menu and "call using google voice".
    09-16-10 10:48 AM
    The transcriptions can be quite funny at times. I left a message for my wife one day telling her I would have to stop and get gas on my way to meeting her. The transcription she got said I had to kick a$$ on the way...

I'm amazed at how many people don't think about land lines anymore. I don't use landlines, personally (GV number is now used for home number) and it surprises me how many people send a text message to a home number. If I was still using a land line, I wouldn't get those messages.
    09-16-10 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD