Hey Guys.

Bell strikes again, invading our privacy again. Like all of you on Bell, yesterday (Monday 18th), a new garbagey looking icon popped up on my BB. It looks like a app icon of some sort, but it was so crudely made that it has no transparency nor alternate lit state. When I clicked on it, it took me to some awful looking web site that was selling ring tones and Britney Spears Wallpaper (like we really want to look at that). When I saw that the address was an IP number (206.47.201.74/BB ), I immediately thought that a virus had infested my BB. Anyone seeing a poor icon, a IP address, and a ringtone sight would probably come to the same conclusion.

I phoned Bell to find out what this thing was, and as it turns out, it's a sanctioned Bell Sympatico "Feature" that has infested my BB. I told the CSR that I didn't want this feature on my BB, and I never asked for it. She went into great detail about how all the BB users were clamoring for ringtones and Britney Spears Wallpaper, and that the App was a good thing.

I told her it wasn't, and it was a violation of privacy rights. I never asked for it, never agreed to it, and didn't want it. What kind of advertising garbage are they going to push down to our BBs next ? I asked her how to remove it from my device. First she said that I could delete it through the "Service Book", but when I looked in the service book there was no reference to a "Downloads" app. I asked her again, and she said she would ask someone who knew. After 10 minutes, she came back and said that it couldn't be removed. I told her that was not good enough, and that I want a solution to remove this virus from my BB. She said that I would have to speak to a Manager, and she would have one phone me.

So that is where is stands right now. If you want to have Bell stop this nonsense, you guys are going to have to BITHC at them too. What else are they going to shove down to our BBs next? Here's the number for Bell Blackberry Support 1-866-235-5249. I will keep you posted on what happens.
    12-18-07 01:14 PM
    It is in your service books, just delete the appropriate Service Book, pull the battery and reboot the device. It won't be there.

It is likely though that it will be resent to you by your carrier. That is why I simply hide the push icons I get like that from AT&T (like 7-8 so far). I hide it and never need to look at it again.

Meanwhile, you are fighting a losing battle otherwise. But if you want to spend hours on the phone ranting and raving with them, it's your time.
    Last edited by jsanders; 12-18-07 at 01:49 PM.
    12-18-07 01:47 PM
    Doesn't ever carrier do this is some sort of way, I know AT&T does, I know Rogers does, I know Sprint does, I know T-Mobile does, Verizon I'm certain does as well just hide the icon and forget about it...Welcome to the world of "upselling", it's an everyday occurance.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 12-19-07 at 01:42 PM.
    12-19-07 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD