... and I hope there is something I'm missing. After reading a lot of praise about QuickLaunch for months and watching the Beta test in the Bold forum, I was excited to buy and use the thing. Before QL I was using ShortCutMe, and I thought it was great. The best part of SCM was that I could double click the right convenience button to open the camera, triple click for the video camera, etc... I could do this with each convenience key and the enter button. I was expecting QL to be very similar, but with a better overall experience (not running in background, better pop up menu, ability to drop a couple of apps, etc). I'm kind of disappointed that QL doesn't work like this.

Other than that it is pretty nice, allows you to drop a couple of apps like Quick Pull and a Weather App if you chose. I like the ability to be able to organize and group apps, but I'd rather be able to just make a couple of clicks and boom the CNBC launcher is rocking. I don't want to have to look around for the app, click through a couple of menus... The real bummer now is I did a wipe and OS upgrade (with 3rd party apps, and full device backup) on my Bold and I lost all of my QL commands. Don't think I want to do that all over again. If I am missing something here please let me know...

My $0.02...
    Last edited by sandos; 06-25-09 at 09:13 PM.
    06-25-09 09:10 PM
    You can double click the convenience button to access the first app on the menu which for me is camera.

Then you can add a letter shortcut for many other apps! Convenience key + letter can have many possibilities.

it can open websites, make calls, composes texts, launch apps. You really have to give this app a chance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 09:32 PM
    You can double click the convenience button to access the first app on the menu which for me is camera.

Then you can add a letter shortcut for many other apps! Convenience key + letter can have many possibilities.

it can open websites, make calls, composes texts, launch apps. You really have to give this app a chance.

Well, I didn't know about the double click to open the first app... Although I had a folder up top. But at the same time that's only one, and ShortCutMe can do all of that as well. I suppose the only real downside I see the SCM is that it runs in the background.
    06-25-09 09:35 PM
    Well, you didn't have to lose your QL menu(s). The backup/restore worked perfectly for me when transitioning from the Beta to the paid. I would imagine since it's stored on the card, you would be OK also even during a wipe.

Can't speak for other program, although double clicks seem like a great idea, it took a while for QL to grow on me. Didn't know how much until I didn't have it while waiting for licensed version after the beta expired. Give it a bit more time.

Last edited by johnelaw; 06-25-09 at 09:40 PM.
    06-25-09 09:38 PM
    i don't think shortcut me runs in the background does it? I thought it loaded when you click it.
    06-25-09 10:06 PM
    Well, I didn't know about the double click to open the first app... Although I had a folder up top. But at the same time that's only one, and ShortCutMe can do all of that as well. I suppose the only real downside I see the SCM is that it runs in the background.
    What about the 26 other shortcuts I mentioned?

06-25-09 10:18 PM
    Uh, no it doesn't. Shortcutme doesn't run in the background and doesn't affect battery life either if that's what you're thinking.
    06-26-09 03:02 AM
    ... and I hope there is something I'm missing. After reading a lot of praise about QuickLaunch for months and watching the Beta test in the Bold forum, I was excited to buy and use the thing. Before QL I was using ShortCutMe, and I thought it was great. The best part of SCM was that I could double click the right convenience button to open the camera, triple click for the video camera, etc... I could do this with each convenience key and the enter button. I was expecting QL to be very similar, but with a better overall experience (not running in background, better pop up menu, ability to drop a couple of apps, etc). I'm kind of disappointed that QL doesn't work like this.

Other than that it is pretty nice, allows you to drop a couple of apps like Quick Pull and a Weather App if you chose. I like the ability to be able to organize and group apps, but I'd rather be able to just make a couple of clicks and boom the CNBC launcher is rocking. I don't want to have to look around for the app, click through a couple of menus... The real bummer now is I did a wipe and OS upgrade (with 3rd party apps, and full device backup) on my Bold and I lost all of my QL commands. Don't think I want to do that all over again. If I am missing something here please let me know...

My $0.02...
    Very good observation. If you need speedy and powerful shortcut app, then ShortcutMe is the way to go.
    07-10-09 11:32 AM
    purchased QL, loving it.
    dont really like to press on the convenience key (for any key for that matter) multiple times for shortcuts..

conv key + v -> viigo
    conv key + o -> opera
    conv key + t -> twitter
    and a whole bunch of shortcuts for handy urls

easier to remember than to remember 1 click for viigo, double click for opera.. etc..

$0.02

the added device status thing's really awesome for checking batt % to the digit rather than going into status for the rounded to the nearest 5% batt level, shows device up time too!

and, built in screen capture allows me to rid my BB of captureit (althou its an excellent app i must say)

ok, perhaps $0.04 hehh..
    Last edited by jpgnfx; 07-10-09 at 12:22 PM.
    07-10-09 12:18 PM
    purchased QL, loving it.
    dont really like to press on the convenience key (for any key for that matter) multiple times for shortcuts..

conv key + v -> viigo
    conv key + o -> opera
    conv key + t -> twitter
    and a whole bunch of shortcuts for handy urls

easier to remember than to remember 1 click for viigo, double click for opera.. etc..

$0.02

the added device status thing's really awesome for checking batt % to the digit rather than going into status for the rounded to the nearest 5% batt level, shows device up time too!

and, built in screen capture allows me to rid my BB of captureit (althou its an excellent app i must say)

ok, perhaps $0.04 hehh..
    Multiple convenience key clicks are an option in ShortcutMe.

-----------------------------------------------
    Shortcuts
    In SCM:
    shortcut for Options:
    conv. key + O

Shortcut for Opera:
    conv. key + OP
    or
    conv. key + shift O
    or
    conv. key + conv. key

In QL:
    Shortcut for Options:
    conv. key + O

Shortcut for Opera:
    ?????
    Any other way to solve this? hmmm

Checking status: battery+RAM memory+Flash Memory+CodeMemory status

in ShortcutMe:
    conv. key + S
    or
    double click conv. key

in QuickLaunch:
    No Memory data. May use conv. key + S if 'S' is not already used for another shortcut!

Screen capture

in ShortcutMe:
    Capture an image with the quality you want (save time and space) and when you want by setting delay (enough time to make the screen ready for capture).
    Can take screenshot of itself

Double click conv key to capture an image.
    or
    Conv. key + S + C (Screen Capture)
    or
    conv. key + S
    or
    conv. key + shift S

in QL:

No quality setting!
    No delay setting!
    Can't take it's own screenshot!

conv. key + S if 'S' is not used for another shortcut