Hello there!

I've got an application (BBSpeedOMeter)

BBSpeedOMeter - Sports & Recreation BlackBerry Apps

starting development shortly on version 3 and need some ideas.

top 2 best ideas will win a free version of the current app and a free upgrade to version 3 (check out the link above to the app store for screen shots of the app).

top 1 idea from existing customer gets a refund!!!

ideas already in there are

1) some work on maps, it needs to be made a little smoother. and there will be a marker to show where you've been. and the map added to the history
    2) output kml file for google earth
    3) ghost(race) against previous trip on the same route.
    4) training buddie, this would allow you to add sets of intervals and it'll tell you when to start sprinting, calculate from the average speed/gradient/lenght of interval etc what the target speed should be (maybe. need to work out this idea a bit more)
    07-16-10 03:31 AM
    i'll give it 2 days
    07-16-10 03:33 AM
    How about social media integration? Post rides to twitter and/or facebook - I've seen some other apps do this. Also agree with the map into history option; this would be great.
    In the other thread you say you have your 9700 on the handlebar - what cradle are you using and would you recommend it? Currently use BBSpeedOMeter in my back pocket but would love to see it as I cycle round.
    07-16-10 05:37 AM
    You have the history for each ride. Save cumulative miles and time to the sd card, probably upon program exit and/or menu selection. You could check your weekly, monthly or an entire summer of stats that way.
    07-16-10 05:55 AM
    ah no i just made up something myself. just got a blackberry leather case like the one you get free with the phone (not sure if it was the one that comes with the 9700) cut out most of the front of it. then i put the phone in the case upside down (so it doessnt holster) and ive got a little elasticated clip thing that goes over the other end so it doesnt slip out. ive got another one then almost the same only i just use electrical tape to stop it sliding out. then in the case i punched 2 holes put a hard piece of plastic(to stop it ripping) behind that and looped a cable tie in there and then around the stem on the handle bar(i had a previous cateye mount on there and it seems to rest better if i leave that on). works great very secure, never really worried about it comming off at all. i'll have to post a picture. the only thing i worry about is the rain. so im on the look out for a full clear case that i can modify.

you can buy handle bar mounts but i havent seen any nice tidy looking ones, most of them look too bulky, might be ok on a mountain bike or somethin

i have thought about the integration with twitter etc, i think to do that properly i would have to create some sort of website myself and post the information to this and then post a link to twitter. i wouldnt be much use just posting to twitter "i just did 22 miles in and hour and a half with bbspeedometer" youd need to be able see the map and profile and any other data. it is a very good idea tho and ill have to look further into it because its kind of free advertising for me too if you post rides to twitter.
    07-16-10 05:57 AM
    You have the history for each ride. Save cumulative miles and time to the sd card, probably upon program exit and/or menu selection. You could check your weekly, monthly or an entire summer of stats that way.
    not sure if i get you fully on this one. on the history screen i could put a drop down menu (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly) then the list of history below would change, if daily (stays the same as it is now), if weekly the list options changes from as it is now to weekly totals then you would have to click this to get into the daily list for the week. e.g the list would have a list like below and youd click on one to goto a daily view of that week. dont really like saving things to the sdcard (all info now is stored in device memory) as its ok to write to but if it needs to be read back into the app its very slow!

-------------------------------------
    week ending 1/5/2010 dist:100mi
    time : 5:30:23 avg s : 21mph
    ------------------------------------
    week ending 7/5/2010 dist:150mi
    time : 7:30:23 avg s : 20mph
    Overall Distance 250 mi
    07-16-10 06:05 AM
    I got one of these Order Gadget Zipline. Figured I would afix it to the plastic part of my Otterbox Defender then put the rubber exterior on. That way a quick look while riding and I will not have to worry about a drop. My Hummer BT headset also came with a teather. I may have to order another stock case to cut out like Mark did too.
    07-16-10 06:12 AM
    not sure if i get you fully on this one. on the history screen i could put a drop down menu (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly) then the list of history below would change, if daily (stays the same as it is now), if weekly the list options changes from as it is now to weekly totals then you would have to click this to get into the daily list for the week. e.g the list would have a list like below and youd click on one to goto a daily view of that week. dont really like saving things to the sdcard (all info now is stored in device memory) as its ok to write to but if it needs to be read back into the app its very slow!

-------------------------------------
    week ending 1/5/2010 dist:100mi
    time : 5:30:23 avg s : 21mph
    week ending 7/5/2010 dist:150mi
    time : 7:30:23 avg s : 20mph
    Overall Distance 250 mi
    You wouldn't have to save all that info. Just cumulative with a reset. Each user could check and reset as they desire. I'm just thinking of keeping the memory footprint as small as possible. If it gets too big too many peopls will not use it.
    07-16-10 06:15 AM
    yea its a good idea john. the history is an area that needs a bit of thinking about, thats my big problem with the cateye or any other cyclo computer, all youve really got is overall distance but you dont really know when that started or anything. id like to get the history part as usefull as possible but staying simple.
    07-16-10 06:21 AM
    Otterbox Defender
    just looked up those otterboxes!! they look cool. think i might get me one of those
    07-16-10 06:36 AM
    Lol, this thread got jacked!
    The social networking integration is a better idea than this (imo) but still:
    I bet some people would like a calories burnt section; I could care less about calories, but that's besides the point

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 09:48 AM
    Lol, this thread got jacked!
    The social networking integration is a better idea than this (imo) but still:
    I bet some people would like a calories burnt section; I could care less about calories, but that's besides the point

not quiet sure what got jacked means but it sounds like the thread is gettin more action than i am, altho thats probably not what you meant.

thanks for the calorie thing i had thought of that one before but forgot about it, after a bit of rumaging on my desk here i just found a piece of paper with calories wrote on it, also had "power calculation, maybe average over previous mile and whole trip, probably not possible to get an accurate calculation tho"

im not much of a mathamatician (i dont think i can even spell it) but i might give those two a go.

thanks for that! id have forgotten completely about those.

screen would have to change then tho because your not gointa get all the functions on the one screen then.
    07-16-10 10:24 AM
    just looked up those otterboxes!! they look cool. think i might get me one of those
    I use mine everyday. It offers ultimate protection from drops but I like the keyboard membrane, it keeps dust out. All holes (charging and headset) are also covered by flap that can be opened. At first it was a bite taking it out everyday. But, I do to use a cradel most days. Anyway, it's a good match while using the BBSpeedOMeter.
    07-16-10 10:55 AM
    not quiet sure what got jacked means but it sounds like the thread is gettin more action than i am, altho thats probably not what you meant.
    Lol, a jacked thread is one that got off topic.
    07-16-10 11:09 AM
    This is proving to be a useful thread for ideas of attaching a 9700 (or other blackberry) to a bike - keep the ideas coming please. Sorry if I've jacked the thread!

On the social networking thing I can see your point. How about posting the info from each ride to an event in the calendar? Then you could look back over your history a bit more easily.

I guess the calories burnt thing could be useful for some people - but as I understand it it is a complicated algorithm that takes account of weight, height, age, heart rate and other things. Not sure it would work accurately on a blackberry as there is no heart rate input.
    07-16-10 11:35 AM
    More hijacking. Kool accessory for BBSpeedOmeter. Arkon Bicycle Handlebar Mount for the BlackBerry Curve, BlackBerry Tour, and BlackBerry Bold 9700 (BB227)

I ordered it. Too bad it won't be here for weekend riding.

I WILL USE Order Gadget Zipline the GadgetZipline with it with the Defender in place. I don't want my BB rolling down the highway.
    Last edited by johnling; 07-16-10 at 01:11 PM.
    07-16-10 01:02 PM
    Haha this thread did get jacket a bit then! Its ok anyway I don't mind, still got a few ideas anyway. I'm a bit worried tho that it seems to be all existing users trying to get their money back and no new users tryin to win the app, should I read anything into that? Lol

07-16-10 01:17 PM
    Haha this thread did get jacket a bit then! Its ok anyway I don't mind, still got a few ideas anyway. I'm a bit worried tho that it seems to be all existing users trying to get their money back and no new users tryin to win the app, should I read anything into that? Lol

Kool app on a kool piece of hardware doing something ya like to do! That simple.
    07-16-10 01:21 PM
    If anyone wants one of these Original Leather Holster Case for BlackBerry BOLD 9700 - eBay (item 260629203508 end time Aug-01-10 02:51:11 PDT) to cut a window out like Mike did I have ordered from here many times and I did get two of these today as well as in the past. Good seller! I'm going to cut the window out of one for the wife.
    07-16-10 03:43 PM
    07-17-10 09:46 AM
    Lol, 17mph isnt too bad considering that terrain.
    But if it makes you feel better, I averaged 15 on my longboard the other day
    07-17-10 10:57 AM
    Lol, 17mph isnt too bad considering that terrain.
    But if it makes you feel better, I averaged 15 on my longboard the other day
    Haha I like your maths. 16.2. Was the longboarding up hill at 15mph?

07-17-10 11:11 AM
    Lol, I thought it showed 16.7 on twitter. Rounding up is ok in most cases tho; you could call it "almost 20mph" if anyone asks.
    Uphill on a longboard? No way. That was level, if I'm going downhill my speed is usually 20-23.

07-17-10 11:20 AM
    Lol, I thought it showed 16.7 on twitter. Rounding up is ok in most cases tho; you could call it "almost 20mph" if anyone asks.
    Uphill on a longboard? No way. That was level, if I'm going downhill my speed is usually 20-23.

15 on the flat? That's fairly fast.

07-17-10 11:38 AM
    would i be right in saying john was the only paying customer, and that the other 2 just got in early and got the freebie from beta testing? if so john wins by default, if not send me the email you used to order. everybodys a winner today
    07-19-10 02:18 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD