I tried a search 1st so please don't gey mad at me...this is my second choice then feel free to move to proper forum:

I am sorry to ask this ant not new to BB but have never had the need for using BBSAK for any reason yet(good for me)

Can someone please tell me what remove or install or what "CODS" are to begin with.

Thank you
    10-16-09 11:47 AM
    .cod's are just code files (whether its code in the OS or in the apps)
    10-16-09 12:17 PM
    .cod's are just code files (whether its code in the OS or in the apps)
    Thank you for taking the time to answer me but I wonder if you can go one step further and give me an example of each to wrap my head around to know what you mean/.

Again thank you
    10-16-09 12:51 PM
    sure, if you have ever downloaded a theme in the form of a zip,when you unzip the file, you actually will see the .cod file. a .zip file for a theme consists of 2 files: an .alx file and a .cod file. the .alx file is like an .exe(executable file) to get the code into the phone and the .cod file is the actual code for the app itself - the code that makes the app do what it does. same goes pretty much for the OS .cod files.. it makes the OS what it is by giving the code and the structure of what it should be doing.
    10-16-09 12:58 PM
    A reason BBSAK has those options is that sometimes folks have a COD file (the actual application on the BB) but no longer have the entire package (alx and cod) necessary to install using the Desktop Manager. So bbsak provides a method of installing just the cod back to the BB. Be advised, that some applications actually have more than one cod file - kind of sub-modules.

BBSAK also allows you to selectively copy (backup) cod files from the phone to your computer. It can actually backup ALL Application cod files and also ALL cod files including the basic, tons of Rim cod files for everything on the phone.

The alx file is actually an English/text language file with info on version, author, and associated modules.
    10-16-09 01:48 PM
    I want to thank you both for the excellent explanation in helping me to understand one more thing about BBs that i did not know.

Normally with phones like my old 8330 curve I would plug it into my DM and ifr there was another higher OS it would backup reload the new and place the old including 3rd party apps back on and all I had to do was rest apps and certain sounds I had set up special.

Thank you both again for yor help.

Sounds like something I never really need to worry about if I am never forced to use BBSAK for anything.
    10-16-09 02:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD