So I've searched the forums for about an hour and a half (slow day at work) and cannot find anything about this issue.

I have tried to update several apps in the past couple of week, Google maps being the latest. I get some message stating that the app will change in the BBSAK file. When I reboot after the update several of my other apps disappear from my Tour.

I then connect to my pc and restore the apps with BBSAK. They all come back, but the update doesn't run.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I have a Tour running 5.0.1030.
    Last edited by Setanta; 01-20-11 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Clarifying the issue
    01-20-11 12:21 PM
    Same issue on my 9800 running 6.0.0.337. Posting to subscribe in hopes of an answer before I try reinstalling Google Maps again.
    01-20-11 12:45 PM
    im assuming you are just clicking the restore apps button on the program and you just have one file in your application lists. i just click the load COD button and navigate to the backup file and restore all the apps that way. by doing that all the apps are separated and can easily be updated without messing with the others.
    01-20-11 01:03 PM
    My problem has more to do with the OTA update causing some sort of conflict with BBSAK and BBSAK wiping several apps from my device.
    01-20-11 01:32 PM
    I had the same thing happen to me today when I tried to update Vlingo to the new version. All the apps I had previously restored with BBSAK were gone. The Vlingo update said it would be replacing some BBSAK file, Yes/No. I didn't think I needed any BBSAK file on my BB so I said Yes.

I was able to restore everything again with BBSAK and after re-registering some and typing in activation codes for others, all seems to be working fine now.
    01-20-11 01:54 PM
    trucky,

Did you get the updated version of vlingo? Or did BBSAK send you the older version?
    01-20-11 06:42 PM
    trucky,

Did you get the updated version of vlingo? Or did BBSAK send you the older version?
    I saw online that Vlingo had a new version so I downloaded it from their site. Then it told me that the new version would be overwriting the older version of BBSAK. I didn't think there was a version of anything on my BB from BBSAK so I said yes.

After getting everything in order again I noticed last night that one of my bar code readers wouldn't start up. I went to Appworld and downloaded it again. The BB rebooted and the same blasted thing happened again! Every app that had been restored with BBSAK was GONE! Arrrrrgggh....

I reloaded them again but this time used only the .cod loader and didn't touch the .alx file this time.
    01-21-11 06:40 AM
    Anyone else having this issue???

I'm reluctant to update any of my apps...
    01-22-11 12:59 PM
    I was actually just ******** about this the other day on Twitter!

Same thing for me, did a backup of my apps and themes using BBSAK before installing a Hybrid OS and then restored when the process was done. A couple days later their was an update for an app...I noticed on the screen where it asks if you want to overwrite the older version with the newer version, it had said some different. Something about the app name and BBSAK backup file, but I kinda ignored it and continued to update the app. As soon as it was done downloading and installing, my BB rebooted itself! When it was finished, EVERY app and theme I had backed up and retsored using BBSAK was gone! Except for the app that I had currently updated! I should also note that the app I updated was ALSO an app I had backed up and restored using BBSAK!

I don't know about you, but I was pissed!

Instead of doing another restore of my apps and themes using BBSAK (in fear it would happen again obviously) I manually donwloaded and reinstalled each and every app and theme one by one...took a couple days :/

I would assume that this doesn't happen to everybody all the time because otherwise it wouldn't be a feature of BBSAK because that app has been around for a hot minute and I would think someone would have caught that by now! At least I'd hope! I too searched the forums for an answer and like I said above, made a comment about NEVER doing it again!

So other users of BBSAK, what's your take on this situation? Personally I'm running OS 6.0.0.337 on a Torch. Has this ONLY happened to users of OS 6 or has some OS 5.0 users had this happen too? Also, I know i did exactly what you're suppose to do to backup and restore your apps/themes using BBSAK because it's not the first time I've done it. I've been using BBSAK for a while now BUT it is the first time I've used it to backup and restore apps/themes while using OS 6.0.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-11 10:34 PM
    Come on people....nobody else suffering here????
    01-24-11 09:27 PM
    Right there with ya - did it like 3 times because I thought I was loading the cod's incorrectly. Its definitley not OS 6 cause I was doing this on an 8330 with 4.5.0.175. IT definitely saves a ton of memory doing it through BBSAK but as of now I cant think of any way to update this OTA cause it keeps asking me about permissions for BBSAK and then makes me reset it, but its like it doesnt save the permissions after reboot. So the only way I can avoid being prompted all the time is to just disregard it...but it keeps asking me everytime I open an app I didnt open yet. Ugh...so frustrating
    01-26-11 02:00 PM
    Someone pointed out to me in another thread that instead of using the Restore button in BBSAK, use the Modify CODs and then Install CODs. Choose which ones you want, or all and the problem the OP described ceases to exist.
    01-26-11 03:58 PM
    Yehbut, why is BBSAK messing with my OTA updates??? I just tried to get the Google Maps update again last night. I use my BB's browser to navigate to the link...Click to download it..."previous version exists"..."replace with new version?"...click yes...get a prompt about BBSAK changes...click OK...reboot the device.

Most of my third party apps disappear. Why?

I'm on the road next week and will have my work notebook which doesn't have BBSAK on it. I'm screwed if I try to update anything while I'm gone.
    01-27-11 02:18 PM
    If it happens, and your apps get deleted, don't use the Restore button in BBSAK, use the Modify CODs and then Install CODs. Choose which ones you want, or all and the problem ceases to exist.

I'd load BBSAK on you work notebook and make sure you do a good backup on there with BBSAK before you go if you can.

I can't answer the WHY part, I only know how to keep it from happening again now.
    Setanta likes this.
    01-27-11 03:17 PM
    My solution may not be elegant but it works. Delete the original app. Install the updated version. Works so far and is easier than restoring COD's with BBSAK for me.

6.0.0.337 Torch.

Setanta likes this.
    01-27-11 06:31 PM
    I appreciate your help folks. I have sent an email to BBSAK support asking them to help me out with this. Hopefully they will be able to answer these questions.

I feel sure that this is some sort of a settings issue within BBSAK, because there doesn't seem to be many users with this issue.

Seems like if it was a bug in BBSAK that there would be a lot more complaints. I will post their response when I get it.
    01-28-11 07:45 AM
    you are making this a lot harder then it has to be, stop using the restore button on the app and load the COD files one by one its that simple.

all of your apps are turned into one file when you use the restore button so when you update an app the whole file is compromised and bad things happen.
    Setanta likes this.
    01-28-11 04:37 PM
    you are making this a lot harder then it has to be, stop using the restore button on the app and load the COD files one by one its that simple.

all of your apps are turned into one file when you use the restore button so when you update an app the whole file is compromised and bad things happen.
    Exactly, it's 1 file and when you go to save the update it changes the file. You can do as Kcpaynev1 says, which is easiest, or go to options, device, app management, open BBSAK file, click the module you are trying to update & delete it. you can then install the update.
    Setanta likes this.
    01-28-11 04:57 PM
    Thanks to Kerri and kcapyne. I understand the "1 file" concept when I "restore apps", but what I don't understand is:

Update available.
    Use device browser to navigate to m.google.com/maps
    Install update...downloading
    This will interfere with BBSAK... Continue?
    I want the update so, yes.
    Update complete...reboot device?...yes
    Device boots back up and presto frickin' changeo, most of my apps are gone.
    I have not connected to BBSAK at all, but it is hidden in the unseen depths of my Tour and screwing with my apps.
    Why???

01-29-11 06:05 PM
    lets break this down cause the OP just doesnt get it. when you hit back up it creats its own little bundle whit all your 3rd party apps with its own backup alx. now when you hit restore it take that little instructional thing it created and re install all the apps. now when it does this it keeps all these files in the bundle hence why when you try to update one file within the bundle everything goes away. bbsak makes your 5 3rd party apps into one in the eyes of the bb.

now you wont have this issue if you do what Kerr an kcpaynev1 said or even when you are loading the os in the applaoder where you select the apps you want installed you can add the backup file and all you 3rd apps will b added to the list on the initial install
    pick and Setanta like this.
    01-29-11 06:47 PM
    now you wont have this issue if you do what Kerr an kcpaynev1 said or even when you are loading the os in the applaoder where you select the apps you want installed you can add the backup file and all you 3rd apps will b added to the list on the initial install
    I did the same restore with BBSAK thing when I upgraded from 415 to 431.

Now, if I delete the BBSAK Backup, then go back to DM and import the BBSAK alx file, and add those apps, will that also restore my apps WITHOUT having the BBSAK Backup file on my berry?

EDIT: I deleted the BBSAK Backup, rebooted my berry, then started BBSAK, went to Modify CODs, clicked on Install CODs, navigated to where BBSAK placed the backup on my hard drive, highlighted all the CODs and then started the process. It took much longer than I had expected, but it worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the tips.
    Last edited by pick; 01-30-11 at 11:56 AM. Reason: new info
    01-30-11 10:36 AM
    no need to delete the back up. just don't use the restore app function in bbsak
    01-30-11 03:56 PM
    I deleted the BBSAK Backup file from my berry. Then, after a reboot, I restored the individual CODs that were made when I did my original backup to my computer.

I still have the backup files on my computer.
    01-30-11 08:33 PM
    bbsak makes your 5 3rd party apps into one in the eyes of the bb.
    That's what I didn't get. Thanks for helping me out there, mooda. And to everyone else who contributed to my ever expanding knowledge of my BB, much obliged.
    01-30-11 10:28 PM
    glad i could help it confused the heck outta me a while back
    01-31-11 09:57 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD