so, I have bbsak v 1.7 working in the win 7 environment

I had to shut down and restart computer, then start bbsak, then hook up blackberry, click connect... all good!

but, what is

COD?

what is

JAD?

do I care, are these programming things?

and

ALX comes up alot in my reading

what is that?

thanks for the info in advance.....!

oh, have bb 9700 on tmobile, running 5.0 ver .344

al
    11-15-09 12:36 PM
    Alx and jad files are installable program files. COD files are OS modules. The BlackBerry 101 series is a great place to read up on these. You shoudn't touch these files with bbsak until you know what you're doing. Welcome to CrackBerry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 12:45 PM
    thanks!

I have been in the bb 101 series, didnt think to look up these files on there...

sounds like COD files, if I back them up, are just like the download of the new versions of handheld OS in the sticky threads, right?
    ----

so, I have the OS, I have the 3rd party apps, and I have my contacts....

will bbsak take care of the contacts as well?

I was going to use outlook, or yahoo, or bbdm to back those up---

Why all the questions>?

I just want to be sure I have a "backup strategy" for the new bold 9700---- I live on the thing in my job for NYC real estate...

thanks
    11-15-09 02:10 PM
    Yes. COD files are what make up an OS. When you double-click the OS exe, COD files are what get unpacked. I've never used bbsak, so I don't know how it handles contacts, if it does at all. I need to look at it, now that Pete6 no longer supports CrackUtil. I use the Desktop Manager to backup contacts. That's all the backup you need.
    11-15-09 02:22 PM
    cool---thanks

al
    11-15-09 02:23 PM
    Bbsak is only for applications and does NOT back up contacts or calendar.

You can back up individual or selected cod files. You can back up what I would call App cod file or you can back up ALL cod files (using dump). I believe you can create alx files but have not done that.
    11-15-09 03:16 PM
    i have a question...should i be able to see/remove theme files that are saved as .cod or .jad? i can load them just fine, but when i do "read system" i can't find them in the list of .cods, and therefore can't delete them.
    anybody got any advice?
    11-17-09 11:03 AM
    You can move them manually using windows file manager. Never delete them from your PC or you'll have to reinstall your OS to get them back. Just move them to another directory so the loader can't find them. Don't remove the default themes or you risk breaking your 3rd party themes. If you remove a theme and your device reboots to a plain black and white screen with primitive looking icons, you've removed the theme that was in use. The easy solution in that case is so simply copy it back into the loader directory and let the device reboot again.
    11-17-09 11:57 AM
    You can move them manually using windows file manager. Never delete them from your PC or you'll have to reinstall your OS to get them back. Just move them to another directory so the loader can't find them. Don't remove the default themes or you risk breaking your 3rd party themes. If you remove a theme and your device reboots to a plain black and white screen with primitive looking icons, you've removed the theme that was in use. The easy solution in that case is so simply copy it back into the loader directory and let the device reboot again.
    thanks for the tip! i'll try this out when i get home.
    11-17-09 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD