I would like to ask the BB community whether BBs are susceptible to personal data theft from installed 3rd party apps. I saw a story today that is moving through the interwebs that iOS is particularly porous to 3rd party apps stealing and uploading your address book to developers servers. I actually own an iPhone and have been considering switching back to BB - if BB's are more secure in this area I think for sure I will switch back. Here is the article I found...

http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/15/apples...s/#more-138506

I would be very interested to hear what people have to say about this.
    Last edited by ab345; 02-15-12 at 05:21 PM.
    02-15-12 05:17 PM
    I'd like to read answers to this too. I know that BlackBerry IS more secure but I don't know why.

I know I used banking apps on my Android but that I feel safer using those types of things on BlackBerry. Android apps requested permissions that made me think it was a little intrusive.
    02-15-12 05:23 PM
    yes any BB app could do the same thing with the correct permissions. Jared apps did this type of this actually and they are still available today on the market to purchase
    02-15-12 05:43 PM
    yes any BB app could do the same thing with the correct permissions. Jared apps did this type of this actually and they are still available today on the market to purchase
    But the user has to give those apps permissions for that to happen, right?

The problem with iOS right now is that the malicious app needs no special permission. I've wondered about this since they gave us that API, and I filed a bug report about it. Apple should have fixed this long ago.
    02-15-12 05:47 PM
    yes the user has to give the app permission but i am guess the majority of people dont look at those always
    02-15-12 05:54 PM
    yes some app can do that if you give them the permission, but hey some app wont work if you dont let some security action to pass and soon as you give them the allow they can do what ever the want (more or less) depends of the security.
    i had a couple of app in my phone they didn't want to start till i didn't give them the right permission, so i ended up not using the app cause i didn't trust the 3rd party of the permission they ask for.

In my opinion an app should work/start regardless of the permission.
    02-15-12 06:42 PM
    yes the user has to give the app permission but i am guess the majority of people dont look at those always
    Sounds like Vista. History repeats. Sometimes not for the better.
    02-15-12 07:23 PM
    blackberries actually let you choose what permissions you want to set. Sometimes an app won't work without a certain permissions but you still get more control over android/ios.

Read this article. Its all about app permissions on blackberries.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...on-permissions
    02-16-12 03:03 AM
    blackberries actually let you choose what permissions you want to set. Sometimes an app won't work without a certain permissions but you still get more control over android/ios.

Read this article. Its all about app permissions on blackberries.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...on-permissions
    Actually on android you still get to set the same permissions, but it's in a one question answer. All mobile operating systems are open to any kind of "stealing personal data". It's just on the user to which apps and permissions he/she is willing to give to the app to use it.
    02-16-12 03:10 AM
    BB can be vulnerable to apps stealing contacts information if you're not careful and you don't set your default permissions.

However, iphone apps can steal the info by design without breaking any rules as Apple allows it.

When Kick stole contact data they got thrown out of appworld and got sued by RIM.
    02-16-12 03:49 AM
    However, iphone apps can steal the info by design without breaking any rules as Apple allows it.
    Well, no, I've checked our developer agreement. Doing this is against the rules on Apple's app store. Apple's mistake though is that they didn't include a permission for AB so that there is some warning to users that an app is about to go in there. (like the popup that happens the first couple of times an app tried to determine your location). That's what they should have fixed a long time ago. I'm sure they'll fix it quickly now.
    02-16-12 06:25 AM
    Yes, this is the line that gets crossed and it should become a crime.
    02-16-12 06:32 AM
    I would like to ask the BB community whether BBs are susceptible to personal data theft from installed 3rd party apps. I saw a story today that is moving through the interwebs that iOS is particularly porous to 3rd party apps stealing and uploading your address book to developers servers. I actually own an iPhone and have been considering switching back to BB - if BB's are more secure in this area I think for sure I will switch back. Here is the article I found...

Apple’s iOS problem: Contacts uploading is just the tip of the iceberg. Apps can upload all your photos, calendars or record conversations | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I would be very interested to hear what people have to say about this.
    What I find interesting is wondering how many compaies were affected in this dragnet.
    No question fortune 500 companies and employee cell phones were affected and had their contacts and details swiped. Witch leads me to wonder. Who will own the liability in the future, with regards to BYOD. Employee or employer? Could be as sipmle as, It was your cell phone that lost the data. Your fired!
    02-16-12 06:42 AM
    I wonder if Haliburton and NOAA are paying attention.
    02-16-12 07:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD