Longtime BB user, my Torch bricked on me so thought I'd try the iPhone 4S. (I know, wrong place to admit that.)

Anyway, nice device. Email management blows compared to BB, miss a qwerty keyboard, but overall pretty good.

One thing that was a surprise is that iMessage seems to have the exact same push functionality as BBM. I can see when a message is delivered, see when someone is typing/responding... so, what's the big deal about BBM again?

Is this another case of RIM taking a competitive advantage, sitting on it, and letting others catch-up, or am I missing something?

(PS, still a PB user and love that device, and will watch closely for BB10 news in the fall!)
    05-31-12 08:10 AM
    bbm id much more stable and has more functionality...for example i can be in a group and chat with someone thats not a contact on my bbm....bbm music bbm connected apps

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-31-12 08:20 AM
    BBM is a social network and platform on its own.

iMessage is simply testing with limited real-time data
    05-31-12 09:04 AM
    Longtime BB user, my Torch bricked on me so thought I'd try the iPhone 4S. (I know, wrong place to admit that.)

Anyway, nice device. Email management blows compared to BB, miss a qwerty keyboard, but overall pretty good.

One thing that was a surprise is that iMessage seems to have the exact same push functionality as BBM. I can see when a message is delivered, see when someone is typing/responding... so, what's the big deal about BBM again?

Is this another case of RIM taking a competitive advantage, sitting on it, and letting others catch-up, or am I missing something?

(PS, still a PB user and love that device, and will watch closely for BB10 news in the fall!)
    http://crackberry.com/look-features-...er-vs-imessage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    they are those that pretend to be and those that actually are
    Last edited by carullo; 05-31-12 at 09:11 AM.
    yadayada14 likes this.
    05-31-12 09:06 AM
    BBM is a social network and platform on its own.

iMessage is simply testing with limited real-time data
    Not sure I understand the distinction you're making here... You can call it a platform if you want, but I guess what I'm trying to understand is what's the difference for Joe/Jane Average User between BBM & iMessage (of Google Talk, or any other non-SMS chat service)?
    05-31-12 09:07 AM
    BBM offers:

Location sharing
    Direction sharing
    Voice notes sharing
    Picture sharing
    File sharing
    Appointment sharing
    App integration
    PING alerts
    D and R status
    Save entire chats
    Chat history viewing
    Ability to copy/paste
    Email chats
    Group chats
    Broadcast messages
    Free international messages
    Security
    Data compression
    Backup/Restore options
    Bar code scanable PINs
    Use of PIN or email
    Personal Status updates
    Ability to set availability status
    Music sharing
    Color customization
    LED alerts for specific BBM contacts
    Map sharing
    Ability to integrate SMS contacts into BBM app
    Ability to block contacts within app

To name some things that BBM does that iMessage does not.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 05-31-12 at 09:49 AM.
    yadayada14 likes this.
    05-31-12 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD