My BBM has been saving my chat logs in CSV format on my SD card. Recently, the main board suffered water damage and had to be replaced - as a result my PIN was changed.

After reinstalling the OS, and all the softwares + settings, I found that all my app icons were returned to the same location, and my BBM contact list was intact. However, I could not find the chat logs.
    Since I wanted to maintain continuity in my chat logs, I opened the chat log CSV files on the SD card and "search-replaced" my old PIN in those files with my new PIN. The idea was, the device would detect the new log files with the new PIN and "think" that log files were from the same PIN-id and maintain the continuity.

However, the device is not detecting the old chat text. Chatting with a contact actually appends the existing CSV log file, but the BBM does not show the old chat in the history.

Opening the appended CSV in Excel, the only difference I find is the way the time stamps are written in. The old timestamps have "YYYYMMDDHHMM000000" in the epoch time portion; whereas, in the new log file, the epoch time actually shows. This may not be an issue as BBM might render previous month's chat epoch time stamp as "00000," but I still cannot figure out why the old chat logs are not showing.

UPDATE:
    Ok. It seems that chat logs for new contacts (added with the new PIN) shows the history, but for the old history, the history is not displayed. New chats are appended to the log, but it is not displayed.
    Last edited by anirbansen; 01-13-11 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Update/Correction
    01-13-11 04:13 AM
    Looks like I discovered the problem. Microsoft Excel seems to be the culprit. While replacing the old PIN with the new PIN, Excel also modifies the timestamp field into showing something like "2.01E+20" instead of the whole YYYYMMDDHHMM" followed by the unix time stamp.

Should have opened the CSV files in Notepad.
    01-14-11 07:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD