04-08-13 07:26 AM
521 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage Please note, that updating BBFileScout on OS 5.x might require an deinstallation of BBFileScout before you are able to install the new version of BBFileScout.Matthias
    Thank you Mathias, I was getting the invalid COD error again when trying to update. I un-installed and re-installed without issue. I like the new icon scheme, keep up the good work.
    04-18-09 09:56 AM
    I hope now the contrast for the icons is improved and if there is somebody around who would like to help me with further improvements please do not hesitate to get in contact with me.
    I can put together some icons for you if you'd like. Do you want a new one for the program itself too, or just the small ones? I was thinking it would be neat to have a Bold-like silver outline icon that matches the Precision theme, and changes when you roll over it. Let me know. I've done lots of skins and UI work for a couple of programs in the past so it shouldn't take me long if you tell me what you need.
    04-18-09 04:54 PM
    I can put together some icons for you if you'd like. Do you want a new one for the program itself too, or just the small ones?
    thanks a lot for your offer - I have passed you details via PM

Matthias
    04-19-09 07:47 AM
    BBFileScout news

What's new?
    Even if a software developer is a lousy author for a manual I have started with some sort of user manual for BBFileScout - currently there are two first raw chapter versions:

Matthias
    04-19-09 08:01 AM
    BBFileScout update to 0.6.5

What's new?
    * Thumbnail support for images (if enabled in BBFileScout options)
    * BBFileScout will display a 128px preview of image files in the details dialog
    * Select your favorite folder icons [grey/white]
    * improved handling of: 'Ask each time' for the 'When destination exist' option

more details @ the BBFileScout Changelog
    and/or
    read the complete "BBFileScout Option" Manual

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage Please note, that updating BBFileScout on OS 5.x might require an deinstallation of BBFileScout before you are able to install the new version of BBFileScout.

Once again: Deleting or renaming os relevant files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Matthias
    04-21-09 04:26 PM
    Mathias, I don't know if you did anything different but I didn't need to remove the app prior to updating this time (OS 5.0).
    04-21-09 06:02 PM
    the problem with OS5.x for me is, that there is no way to test anything here on my side - since there is no Simulator or anything like that - and right now buying an bold is far out of budget - I am sorry [but I have no idea, what could cause the different behaviour]
    04-22-09 01:15 AM
    There's nothing for you to be sorry about when it comes to a beta OS. I was just reporting that it worked without having to remove the existing app first.
    04-22-09 01:26 AM
    I think there have to be an update - when you have a "normal" font size the Thumbnails are way to small... I think there is space for another improvement - what do you think...
    04-23-09 07:23 AM
    I hope this (see attachments) is what you want...

thumb scale factor 1x, 2x & 4x in action...
    04-23-09 07:42 AM
    THAT'S AWESOME! Is that how it's always going to look or will you still need an icon for pictures when thumbnails are disabled?

I'm off to work for the day, but expect an email from me before I go to bed tonight with some rough ideas for you to look at.
    04-23-09 08:05 AM
    the 0.6.5 have currently no thumbnail scaling - this means the size of the thumbnail just depends from the font size itself - so a typical directory with images will look like this:

I am currently implementing a scale factor for thumbnails - so that's how its going to look like with scale factor 2x:

and with scale factor 4x:

the larger icons will only visible, if a) images are present in the current folder and b) and if thumbnail display is enabled... in any other case the current default icons will be used. The current icons can be previewed here:
    BBFileScout User Manual [Overview] - Software for Blackberry® Devices with OS 4.3 or higher
    04-23-09 08:32 AM
    Does it load the entire folder of images at once? Say you navigate to a folder with 2000 images, I just wouldn't want it to lock up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 10:56 AM
    only the images in the viewport (the area that's currently displayed) will be loaded - once the thumb is generated it's getting cached till you quit the app... in any case the thumbs will be generated in a own process - so the GUI is still accessible (but noticeable slower since the CPU is busy with thumb creation)
    Last edited by emacf1; 04-23-09 at 11:19 AM.
    04-23-09 11:12 AM
    just keeps getting better and better. thanks emac.
    04-23-09 04:26 PM
    BBFileScout update to 0.6.6

What's new?
    * Enhanced Thumbnail handing & loading performance
    * new Options:
    - Thumbnail scale factor (default 2x)
    - Thumbnail-Store Directory (default EMPTY)

more details @ the BBFileScout Changelog

For details about the new functionality read the "BBFileScout Option" Manual

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage
    Please note, that updating BBFileScout on OS 5.x might require an deinstallation of BBFileScout before you are able to install the new version of BBFileScout.

Once again: Deleting or renaming os relevant files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Matthias
    04-24-09 02:58 PM
    Looks great. Two things:

-The BBFileScout's own folder icons are enlarged as well as the thumbnails. This makes them look very rasterized. I would either opt for not scaling these icons or maybe using higher res icons when scaled up.
    -i might have the default thread speed be Slow instead of Normal, just because its safer and then it won't start up as slow on the Bold

04-24-09 03:12 PM
    After installing this update I get an error message when trying to launch it - "Error starting BBFileScout - module 'BBFileScout-3' not found."

Any suggestions?

04-24-09 03:19 PM
    Clear your browser cache and try reinstalling maybe

04-24-09 03:24 PM
    After installing this update I get an error message when trying to launch it - "Error starting BBFileScout - module 'BBFileScout-3' not found."
    Any suggestions?
    1) delete the BBFileScout app [via Options|Advanced Options|Applications]
    2) delete your browser cache
    3) reinstall BBFileScout
    04-24-09 03:26 PM
    -The BBFileScout's own folder icons are enlarged as well as the thumbnails. This makes them look very rasterized. I would either opt for not scaling these icons or maybe using higher res icons when scaled up.
    Providing additional larger icons would increase the BBFileScout app sice noticably - that's why there are only 32x32 icons included - your other suggestion would mean, that file names will be not aligned - that looks really strange (I did that during development) - so at the end of the day the rasterized icons where the "best" compromise IMHO.

-i might have the default thread speed be Slow instead of Normal, just because its safer and then it won't start up as slow on the Bold
    People who encounter Performance probs could manually adjust this setting (when they read the provided information) - please note, that not all Bold users have problems with "normal" prio Thread settings. I personally use 'fast' on my storm.

In any case thanks for your feedback.
    04-24-09 03:31 PM
    1) delete the BBFileScout app [via Options|Advanced Options|Applications]
    2) delete your browser cache
    3) reinstall BBFileScout
    Thanks - that did the trick! Strange that it happened with this update. I've been installing every update since inception and this is the first time I've had a problem.

04-24-09 03:37 PM
    Thanks - that did the trick! Strange that it happened with this update. I've been installing every update since inception and this is the first time I've had a problem.

You might have downloaded it before he put all the new .cod files up or something like that.
    04-24-09 04:13 PM
    One thing regarding copying to stack:

If I select a file, copy it to the stack, then try to move or copy it to a location where a file with the same name already exists, it says an error that the file already exists. That's fine because I have it set to that. The problem is that it also loses what was copied to the stack, so I have to go back to the file and re-copy it again.

Also if I delete a file, then copy a new file to the same location with the same file name, it still displays the thumbnail preview of the original image instead of the new one.
    04-24-09 04:50 PM
    One thing regarding copying to stack:
    The problem is that it also loses what was copied to the stack, so I have to go back to the file and re-copy it again.
    Once the copy operation is triggered the file get's removed from the Virtual-Clipboard... that the copy operations fails (cause dest exist) happens later and there is no "roll back" yet...

Also if I delete a file, then copy a new file to the same location with the same file name, it still displays the thumbnail preview of the original image instead of the new one.
    Do you use Thumbnail persistance? - If so you will notice, that once you quit BBFS and restart again the Thumbnail will get refreshed with the new one...

When you do not use persistence it will show the correct thumb after the restart anyhow - but cause of performance issues I skipped right now to check, modification dates (during a single BBFileScout session)... I expected that filenames/path are some sort of unique as id for a thumb image...

I do not see right now that there is a real use case, where the filename will not change but the content of the image will change completely - I understand your test case and I could imagine that how BBFileScout is currently implemented will have exact the behaviour you describe - but with all respect I doubt, that this test case will reflect the all day life of images on a Blackberry... in any case I can promise that I will look into this issue, if there is a quick way to check this (without a too big performance hit)...

Matthias
    04-24-09 05:15 PM
521 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD