of course I can understand, that this would be a nice feature - but on the other hand side I does not feel responsible for fixing all problems/glitches of the default apps - When the Media Player (with which I haven't spend much time yet) is not capable to create sense full playlist, then actually IMHO it's time to write a new MediaPlayer - an AudioBook Player is anyhow on my todo list... so might be, that then we also get a convenient "playlist maker"... but that's no promise!
    03-16-09 10:58 AM
    This is a great application. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

One thing that might be neat would be the ability to set your default start location in the file system. I find that I'm always going to 'store/home/user/' since that is where my documents and other things are. It would be nice to be able to set that as my default "home" directory. Then if I need to go elsewheres, I can very easily with the ".." folder.

This is great program. If you haven't downloaded yet, what are you waiting for??
    03-17-09 01:16 PM
    I second this one. In fact I think it would be awesome if even when only one file is selected, BBFileScout could make a playlist out of all the files with the same handler in the folder, so you can listen to a song and still use the skip and back buttons to listen to other songs in the folder once media player is open to that file anyway.
    That would be really great. I understand it's not meant as a media player, but that's how I use it predominantly. My media player does not show all mp3s I have on my card, and the only way I have to play them is via this app. Unfortunately I can only select a single file like this, and if somehow a playlist functionality could be implemented, I suppose this app would receive a nice boost in popularity additional to it's current popularity.
    03-17-09 02:57 PM
    One feature that would be great is the ability to save Favorite directories. These favorites would be saved to a list on the application home page for easy access. The user would be able to quickly select the favorite directory. An example would be the Music folder.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 03:19 PM
    After playing with BeFTP and PaderSync today, I've decided I also wish BBFileScout handled FTP... both of those programs are supposed to do a lot of the same stuff BBFileScout does, they just don't do it as nicely.

Matthias, you don't have anything going on right now and could just whip up some FTP support real quick, right? ;-)
    03-17-09 03:28 PM
    ...Matthias, you don't have anything going on right now and could just whip up some FTP support real quick, right? ;-)
    ;-) well I spend the last few days with this: http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...passviewii.jpg

for FTP-Support it's a bit difficult - there are plenty of FTP-variants (SFTP, PASV MODE, SERVER2SERVER com etc... I have written a FTP-Application 7 or 8 years ago and that was quite hard that it worked with all available proxies... (might not be an issue for the BB anyhow)...

Matthias
    03-17-09 04:23 PM
    hi,
    is there a possibility to add a password protection on this app? what i mean is if u want to use bb filescout that you enter a password first.
    03-17-09 04:29 PM
    hi,
    is there a possibility to add a password protection on this app? what i mean is if u want to use bb filescout that you enter a password first.
    sure that would be possible... but I don't really see the need/motivation to do so
    03-17-09 05:00 PM
    emacf1, any thoughts on my suggestion for the favorites directory?
    03-17-09 05:04 PM
    emacf1, any thoughts on my suggestion for the favorites directory?
    I thought about this quite a long time ago - now I realized, that this is more or less the "only" feature that is missing compared to commercial products - I do not want to leave the impression, that I am stealing ideas... so I have some sort of mixed feelings when it comes to the implementation of favourites...

For sure a default "start" folder would be one of the next things I am going to implement... Right now I am unsure which GUI I should implement for the "fav" chooser -> we will see what will happen in the future. Honestly I am currently struggling finding the right motivation... I am some sort of disenchanted right now...

Matthias
    03-17-09 05:36 PM
    I thought about this quite a long time ago - now I realized, that this is more or less the "only" feature that is missing compared to commercial products - I do not want to leave the impression, that I am stealing ideas... so I have some sort of mixed feelings when it comes to the implementation of favourites...

For sure a default "start" folder would be one of the next things I am going to implement... Right now I am unsure which GUI I should implement for the "fav" chooser -> we will see what will happen in the future. Honestly I am currently struggling finding the right motivation... I am some sort of disenchanted right now...

Matthias
    Thank you for the reply and I sorry I hear you are disenchanted. You have developed such a great product and I think you have a rapidly growing base of potential customers who appreciate your efforts and product. I hope you choose to continue and develop great products.
    03-17-09 05:41 PM
    Thank you for the reply and I sorry I hear you are disenchanted. You have developed such a great product and I think you have a rapidly growing base of potential customers who appreciate your efforts and product. I hope you choose to continue and develop great products.
    it will be continued - no worries - it's really nice to see how much this app is appreciated - there have been reasons why I declared this as donationware (might be I am just too impatient).

but coming back to your question - I hope you understand, what's my "mental" problem with providing a fav-function
    Last edited by emacf1; 03-17-09 at 05:52 PM.
    03-17-09 05:48 PM
    by options i mean, sort by name/size/date modified, thumbnail view for pictures, etc
    sort by name is already there... sort by size and date will have massive (and I really mean massive!) impact on the performance of the application [when you have folders with some more files] - I am not sure if you have followed the discussion - but there are users with 600+ files in one folder... [but even with 50+ I already expect noticeable performance loss]...

Concerning Thumbnails - preview - I agree, that apps like ACDSee are very usefull and for a desktop PC such features are very common (like on the MacOS)... implementing a light box view is a big change (when you expect to see the real content of the files (like images)...
    03-17-09 05:58 PM
    emacf1, i just sent you a PM.
    03-17-09 06:05 PM
    Today I tried to create a PlayList with the default media player - is RIM really serious? I honestly can't believe this!
    03-18-09 01:41 PM
    Today I tried to create a PlayList with the default media player - is RIM really serious? I honestly can't believe this!
    In what way?

I did a number of experiments a few months ago. It seems you do NOT want the entire folder/subfolder structure to reference mp3 files.

Here's an example of files that are actually located on the SD card in the following folder structure:

BlackBerry\music\Debussy La Mer Iberia

The Playlist format is:

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:494,Debussy - Debussy - La Mer - From Dawn till Noon on the Sea
    Debussy La Mer Iberia\Debussy - La Mer 01 From Dawn till Noon on the Sea.mp3
    #EXTINF:386,Debussy - Debussy - La Mer - Play of the Waves
    Debussy La Mer Iberia\Debussy - La Mer 02 Play of the Waves.mp3
    #EXTINF:470,Debussy - Debussy - La Mer - Dialogue of the Wind and the Sea
    Debussy La Mer Iberia\Debussy - La Mer 03 Dialogue of the Wind and the Sea.mp3

Another

BlackBerry\music\Dvorak American Quartet

The playlist:

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:430,Dvorak American Quartet 05 - 'American': Allegro Ma Non Troppo
    Dvorak American Quartet\Dvorak American Quartet 05.mp3
    #EXTINF:478,Dvorak American Quartet 06 - 'American': Lento
    Dvorak American Quartet\Dvorak American Quartet 06.mp3
    #EXTINF:228,Dvorak American Quartet 07 - 'American': Molto Vivace
    Dvorak American Quartet\Dvorak American Quartet 07.mp3
    #EXTINF:309,Dvorak American Quartet 08 - 'American': Finale-Vivace Ma Non Troppo
    Dvorak American Quartet\Dvorak American Quartet 08.mp3

-------------

Oh, those playlists (whatever.m3u) are located in the Blackberry/music folder
    03-18-09 02:15 PM
    BBFileScout update to 0.5.5

What's new?
    • Create Playlists across multiple folders [select in any folder your audio files (via Space-Key) and once you have marked all files select 'Create Playlist from <selection>' from the menu]
      (this menu item is only available, if you have specified a 'Playlist Directory' in the options)
    • Opening Media-Files:
      • Playlists: M3U
    • Options:
      • General Settings
        • Startup Directory (default EMPTY)

• Media-Player Options
        • Playlist Directory (default EMPTY)
        • Clear selection after Playlist creation (default ON)

• Key short cuts:
      • [L]:Create play(l)ist from selection

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage

Once again: Deleting or renaming os relevant files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Matthias

PS: Please be so kind and really send me a donation if you are going to use the application - don't think that the others will do so (of course this does not applies to the 18 gentlemen who where so generous to send me a donation so far)
    Last edited by emacf1; 03-18-09 at 05:03 PM.
    03-18-09 04:57 PM
    Hi Matthias,

when I click on your website, avira antivir opens up and alerts me that a virus is trying to access my system:

html/spoofing.gen

This is reproduceable and occurs at every click on your site. Don't know what's up, maybe a false alert from antivir.

Things I noticed:
    The startup directory does not work if there is a space in the name. I tried "SDcard/Blackberry/music/Media Sync" and this directory is not selectable. After a renaming to "SDcard/Blackberry/music/MediaSync" it worked. Manually entering the address with the space did not work (the BB habit of entering a "." when entering a space).
    When I look into the folder "SDcard/Blackberry/music/Media Sync/Unbekanntes Album", the files show up, but are displayed having "-1 Byte" size. These files can not be played. When I explore these files in the built-in BB media app, the files show up having the correct size and can be played.
    Displaying a directory with about 200 entries takes up half a minute, which is a bit annoying.
    Actually scrolling through a directory with 200 entries (e.g. to reach "Unknown Album", pretty much at the end) takes half a minute.
    I was successful at creating a playlist with files that do not show up in the built-in mp3-player (not the explorer, everything shows up nicely there. I mean the actual player app). These files play nicely, which thus represents a major benefit to me.

Once this virus alert is somehow sorted out, I will donate.

Cheers and regards,
    Markus

Edit: So, now I have the folder "SDcard/Blackberry/music/MediaSync/UnbekanntesAlbum" as my start-up directory. When I click on the ".."-symbol, it jumps into "SDcard/Blackberry/music/", i.e. two directories up. This happens only once, i.e. when I start BBfilescout. When I go into "SDcard/Blackberry/music/MediaSync/UnbekanntesAlbum" and then click on "..", I come to "SDcard/Blackberry/music/MediaSync", so everything is alright. BTW: If I go into this directory manually (not because it shows up at the session start since it's my start-up directory), the mp3-files in there have the right size and can be played. So, this problem that I mentioned appears only in the start-up directory and only at start-up.

EditEdit: Sometimes I have to close this app twice.The first time I close, it shows again my start-up directory. When I then close it, it is really gone. Appears as if two applications would be running (somehow).
    Could some or all of these issues have something to do with my relatively long "SDcard/Blackberry/music/MediaSync/UnbekanntesAlbum"-directory name? It shows in the options menu as:
    "SDcard/Blackberry/music/
    MediaSync/Unbekanntes Album",
    i.e. with a new line after music. A return is not present in this string, it is just a line-wrap.
    Last edited by MarkusALC; 03-19-09 at 01:26 AM.
    03-19-09 01:02 AM
    Hi Matthias,... (somehow).
    Could some or all of these issues have something to do with my relatively long "SDcard/Blackberry/music/MediaSync/UnbekanntesAlbum"-directory name? It [...] i.e. with a new line after music. A return is not present in this string, it is just a line-wrap.
    I can take a look into the "space" in 'startup path' - but the rest is really just confusing - I my blind guess goes into the direction, that you have started BBFileScout multiple times by accident...

Concerning the -1 in the playlist - I haven't implement a MP3 tag reader - so I can't know the play length in seconds (for sure it's not bytes) - in the spec of M3U it's written, that -1 can be used for streaming media files (or if play length is unknown).

Matthias
    03-19-09 02:33 AM
    Concerning the -1 in the playlist - I haven't implement a MP3 tag reader - so I can't know the play length in seconds (for sure it's not bytes) - in the spec of M3U it's written, that -1 can be used for streaming media files (or if play length is unknown).
    Matthias
    Well, the "-1 Byte" shows up in the start-up directory. I open BBFileScout and it shows me the start-up directory. Some thirty mp3-files, the names are correct, but the file size to the right reads "-1 Byte". Has nothing to do with mp3 tags or playlists, it's just the file size.

The rest is a bit confusing. Let's see if other users experience the same probs (or some of them). I will report back if I notice something (maybe a user error or a work-around or so)

Good morning btw!
    03-19-09 02:46 AM
    Well, the "-1 Byte" shows up in the start-up directory. I open BBFileScout and it shows me the start-up directory. Some thirty mp3-files, the names are correct, but the file size to the right reads "-1 Byte". Has nothing to do with mp3 tags or playlists, it's just the file size.
    *shame* sorry for the misunderstanding - got it (will fix it)
    03-19-09 03:27 AM
    What's new?[list]
    [*]Options:
    [list]
    [*]General Settings
    • Startup Directory (default EMPTY)

-------------------------

Seems I misunderstood the Startup Directory option and entered "SDCard" in the space for the Default directory. Now the application wont start and gives me the popup message "Uncaught exception: String index out of range: -1". Is there anyway for me to get this working again? I've uninstalled and battery pulled about 4 times and even tried to edit module settings and nothing has helped. Thanks

This is a nice program, great job on this 1!
    03-19-09 03:28 AM
    Seems I misunderstood the Startup Directory option and entered "SDCard" in the space for the Default directory. Now the application wont start and gives me the popup message "Uncaught exception: String index out of range: -1". Is there anyway for me to get this working again? I've uninstalled and battery pulled about 4 times and even tried to edit module settings and nothing has helped. Thanks
    This is a nice program, great job on this 1!
    looks like you have locked the door and thrown away the key - my appologize (this was not your fault) - I think you need to wait till the next release of BBFileScout in order to be able to get back access...

Next time you better "select" the startup directory by using the "browse..." Menu item... (but this does not help you right now)...
    03-19-09 03:47 AM
    I resolved the issue by removing the media card, and then properly renaming the directory. Very nice app!
    Last edited by 2thepoint; 03-19-09 at 02:20 PM.
    03-19-09 04:03 AM
    Awesome! This app should have been included as part of the default OS install. Maybe you can sell it to RIM
    03-19-09 09:42 AM
521 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD