04-08-13 07:26 AM
521 ... 23456 ...
tools
    This is the best little file manager I've ever used for BlackBerry.
    I'll even say it's like a free version of Rove Mobile File Manager, back in the day when it was still available.

It took a moment to figure out how to copy or move files; There could be a built in 'Help' menu option that simply launches BlackBerry Browser to BBScout's homepage. That way I would have been able to figure out the 'Stack' without returning to a desktop.

Although I am a programmer myself and do like the 'Stack' behavior, instead of calling it a 'Stack', maybe use the word 'Bookmark' or 'Mark' or 'Select'; since it's more Average-Joe-User friendly terminology. Files that are are Marke'd would have check mark superimposed on top of a corner of the file's own icon. Hitting space bar would mark/unmark the file. You'd be able to select "Copy Marked Files" / "Move Marked Files". Behavior would be somewhat different, but more industry standard behavior.

Alternatively, you should have vestigial "Copy" and "Move" menu options (when no files are on the stack) whose only purpose is to pop up an alert explaining you need to add the file to the Stack in order to Copy/Move. (Very easy 'lazy' few-line addition to the software)

Just some minor ideas, obviously -- no work needed, but these would make an already excellent application even better for others without needing a manual. (And more Joe-User friendly without needing to look at a manual)
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 03-11-09 at 01:02 PM.
    03-11-09 12:52 PM
    anyway it is a great app
    thanx !
    03-11-09 02:09 PM
    BBFileScout update to 0.5.1

What's new?
    • Complete new implementation of content handlers - BBFileScout now makes use of the (pre-)registered document handlers - when a app register itslf for a specify file extension BBFileScout now can read this association and launch the registered app [this implies, that installed PDF readers will now instantly work with BBFileScout]
    • additional options:
      • Use the BBFileScout build-in text viewer/editor (default ON)
      • Use the BBFileScout build-in ZIP handler (default ON)
      • Force BB media content handler for images, audio & video files (default OFF)

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage

Once again: Deleting or renaming os relevant files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Matthias
    03-11-09 02:52 PM
    No lock icon, file doesn't behave as though it's locked in Windows explorer eitherm. All three statements are False when I press I.
    So please check, the new release 0.5.1 - if it still does not handle the audio & image files - please go to options and enable the "Force BB media content handler for images, audio & video files" - I'll keep my fingers crossed
    03-11-09 03:02 PM
    This App is PRETTY freakin SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!
    03-11-09 03:16 PM
    It took a moment to figure out how to copy or move files; There could be a built in 'Help' menu option that simply launches BlackBerry Browser to BBScout's homepage. That way I would have been able to figure out the 'Stack' without returning to a desktop.

Although I am a programmer myself and do like the 'Stack' behavior, instead of calling it a 'Stack', maybe use the word 'Bookmark' or 'Mark' or 'Select'; since it's more Average-Joe-User friendly terminology....

Alternatively, you should have vestigial "Copy" and "Move" menu options (when no files are on the stack) whose only purpose is to pop up an alert explaining you need to add the file to the Stack in order to Copy/Move. (Very easy 'lazy' few-line addition to the software)

Just some minor ideas, obviously -- no work needed, but these would make an already excellent application even better for others without needing a manual. (And more Joe-User friendly without needing to look at a manual)
    I would just like to let you know, that I am not ignoring your post... I have already thought quite a lot about the right menu name... and how I could improve the copy & paste / cut & paste implementation... the Menu item Item is called "Store 'XXX' on stack" -> "Mark" or "Select" does not sound better IMHO (and it could lead to misunderstandings since there is a "Select" option also (Space-Key))... but for sure I agree with you, that the current UI is not intuitive and could be improved (but I also liked to avoid a second window to define the destination for cut & copy)

Files that are are Marke'd would have check mark superimposed on top of a corner of the file's own icon. Hitting space bar would mark/unmark the file. You'd be able to select "Copy Marked Files" / "Move Marked Files". Behavior would be somewhat different, but more industry standard behavior.
    actually it would be gentle, if you could check the full build-in BBFileScout functionality -> SPACE-Key will mark unmark - and the marked files are indicated by a checkmark that is rendered in top of the default icon (see screen shots at the HP)... sill there is no doubt, that there is always room for improvents
    Last edited by emacf1; 03-11-09 at 05:19 PM.
    03-11-09 03:46 PM
    So please check, the new release 0.5.1 - if it still does not handle the audio & image files - please go to options and enable the "Force BB media content handler for images, audio & video files" - I'll keep my fingers crossed
    Yes! The new version works after checking the force media option! Thank you so much! The only thing more impressive than your app is your friendly and quick support service for your free app that's already better than expensive similar apps. You're improving yours quicker than they are thiers as well!

My paycheck should hit my account this weekend. Expect a donation shortly thereafter, and thanks again!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 08:25 PM
    Is it possible to reload the samples file ? I cant edit the icons any more. Also, read later that removing pre loaded pics and ringtones only frees up device memory...not OS memory so I should have left them on.
    03-11-09 09:21 PM
    This app is great!!!! I just deleted the crap that rim installs and protects, images/songs/vids/ringtones...i know there was a thread on how to do this but this makes it so much easier!!!
    03-11-09 09:22 PM
    I love the app, thank you very much. How about adding a "check for update" in the menu since it seems you are changing it daily.

Again thanks
    03-11-09 11:25 PM
    Yes! The new version works after checking the force media option! Thank you so much!
    Excellent! - I am very happy, that this hit the nail on it's head .

Is it possible to reload the samples file ?
    From the BBFielScout HP: "With BBFileScout you can delete pre installed wallpapers, videos and ringtones in order to free memory on your device - but please note, that once they are deleted the only way to get them back is to hard reset your device!"

I love the app, thank you very much. How about adding a "check for update" in the menu since it seems you are changing it daily.
    -> well the server infrastructure is not currently there to provide such a service - and it's far beyond my financial budget to upgrade the hosting package... Sorry the only "thing" you can do is to come to my bb Software Homepage and check there the version number manually...

Matthias
    03-12-09 02:37 AM
    Thanks Matthias
    03-12-09 05:12 AM
    Great app and very simple to use. Very well done.
    03-12-09 02:04 PM
    Any possibility of allowing you to hold the Space bar and scroll to select? Like how you can in the native BB messaging interface.

03-12-09 02:11 PM
    -> well the server infrastructure is not currently there to provide such a service - and it's far beyond my financial budget to upgrade the hosting package... Sorry the only "thing" you can do is to come to my bb Software Homepage and check there the version number manually...

Matthias
    No need to apologize, didn't realize what's involved in offering that.
    Thanks for responding.
    03-12-09 04:35 PM
    Great app! OTA isnt working?
    03-12-09 04:48 PM
    Great app! OTA isnt working?
    no it's not, i just installed via .zip. figure he will get it resolved soon.
    03-12-09 05:57 PM
    Are there plans to add support for editing music id tags? I'd like the ability to do this through the BB instead of having to connect to PC then editing through a file explorer window.
    03-13-09 04:21 PM
    Are there plans to add support for editing music id tags? I'd like the ability to do this through the BB instead of having to connect to PC then editing through a file explorer window.
    I am sorry - but this is not planed yet...
    03-13-09 04:38 PM
    obsolete - can be deleted
    Last edited by emacf1; 03-14-09 at 05:12 AM.
    03-14-09 04:09 AM
    BBFileScout update to 0.5.2

What's new?
    • Auto rename/overwrite if a file already exist at the destination [of copy & move], this behavior is configurable via options
    • BBFileScout register itself as default content handler for '.INI', '.LOG' and '.XML' files [This allows you to open this files e.g. from eMail attachments directly in the BBFileScout SimpleTextViewer/Editor] (experimental)
    • additional options:
      • Default action when destination exist (default 'do nothing')

Bugfix
    • Hopfully the app does not crash anymore, if a unreadable file will be opened in the SimpleTextViewer/Editor

Installation & Update

Once again: Deleting or renaming os relevant files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Matthias
    03-14-09 11:13 AM
    BBFileScout update to 0.5.3

What's new?
    • additional options:
      • Default action when destination exist ['do nothing'|'rename file'|'overwrite destination'|'ask each time'] (default 'do nothing')

Installation & Update

Matthias
    03-15-09 02:51 AM
    BBFileScout update to 0.5.4

Bugfix
    • Overwrite a file (copy or move) where the source and destination folder are identical will not destroy the file

Installation & Update

Matthias
    03-15-09 03:17 PM
    Hey matthsas,
    Thx again for the app!! One wish-but don't know if this is possible...
    Selecting multiple files or a folder and then open them as a playlist in mediaplayer... What do u think? Greetings from KA
    Sponch

Last edited by sponch; 03-15-09 at 03:37 PM.
    03-15-09 03:27 PM
    Hey matthsas,
    Thx again for the app!! One wish-but don't know if this is possible...
    Selecting multiple files or a folder and then open them as a playlist in mediaplayer... What do u think? Greetings from KA
    Sponch

I second this one. In fact I think it would be awesome if even when only one file is selected, BBFileScout could make a playlist out of all the files with the same handler in the folder, so you can listen to a song and still use the skip and back buttons to listen to other songs in the folder once media player is open to that file anyway. Perhaps it's more work than is worth it... I know it's not necessarily intended to be a media browser, but I sure think it would be cool if it worked like this.
    03-15-09 06:51 PM
521 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD