Finally...No More Lag!!!!

After spending numerous trying to find out why my Inbox & SMS Box would lag after a reboot with FileScount installed, I think I've found the answer.

After a reboot I noticed that my Inbox would lag, and the SMS Box was even worse. If I opened my SMS Box it would just sit there. As I used the trackpad, nothing would happen. So I would try to escape out of it. It wouldn't escape right way, it would take about 10-15 seconds before it would even allow me to escape back to the Homescreen. I did notice that the data bars were in use, so I assumed something was being transmitted back and forth.
    After doing a wipe and reinstalling the OS, I would install my apps, and everything would be fine. FileScout would work fine as well. As soon as I imported my Contacts, Calendar, BBM, etc, it would lag after a reboot.

I then begin to wonder if BBM had something to do with it, because I have my SMS contacts within BBM. I like the feature of adding SMS contacts to BBM, that way I could chat with BBM contacts and SMS contacts all within the same app. I had about 30 of my most used SMS contacts integrated in BBM. I never had this issue before with the lag. I didn't notice the lag issue until after I installed FileScout.

So I decided to remove all of my SMS contacts from BBM, and do a backup of just the true BBM contacts.

Wiped my device, reloaded the OS, reinstalled my apps, imported my Contacts, Calendar, Browser Bookmarks, and the BBM with no SMS integration.
    Did a reboot, and there was no lag.

So now I can finally use FileScout with the new DropBox integrated app.
    But now, I loose the SMS feature in BBm.

Now I'm curious if others who have quite a few SMS contacts integrated within BBM are having the same issue with FileScout installed.
    Last edited by cdf3; 01-17-11 at 04:20 PM.
    01-17-11 04:18 PM
    After moving to the newer BBM versions, I briefly tried integrating SMS contacts with BBM, but I removed them too due to performance issues (it has been a while so I don't remember the exact details). Again, I am forced to believe that BBM does not truly integrate the contacts, but rather adds them each time the device is booted (similar to the way that OS 5 builds SMS threads).
    01-17-11 05:42 PM
    just as short info - finally the new FileScout Version is also available in BlackBerry AppWorld
    BlackBerry App World - FileScout - the complete file- text- zip- and image-manager
    01-22-11 09:33 AM
    To the developer of FileScout, I've been using this app for a couple of months now and I would just like to say thank you for such a great app.
    01-22-11 09:51 AM
    If you are a Torch User and updated to the latest OS leak:

The OS 6.0.0.448 & 6.0.0.450 have an issue with the touch screen event handling that causes some strange application behavior (not only FileScout is effected) - please read the post for details

If you don't care about details and just like to use FileScout as you are used too before the OS update please follow this simple procedure to update FileScout (and the Dropbox Plugin):
    1. Go to BlackBerry Options - Device - Application Management
    2. Scroll down in the list and select 'Filescout Dropbox Plugin' (v1.2.5.0.1)
    3. Deinstall the Plugin and when asked for a reboot select "no" (or later)
    4. Now update your FileScout Installation to v2.5.0.2 (OTA LINK) and now perform the requested reboot
    5. After the device have rebooted: just install the Dropbox Plugin as you did initially (see: User Manual - Dropbox Plugin)
    01-29-11 10:10 AM
    Hi,

a frequent problem for me is, that while I am using my PC I see a URL at the web and I want to open this URL from my BlackBerry browser - typically this is when I see some OTA-Links e.g. in GoogleReader.

There are quite some simple steps to transfer the URL to your BlackBerry and open the URL with the Browers:
    1. At the PC: drag the URL from the Browser into your Dropbox - this should create a <SITE|PAGE|LINKNAME-HERE>.URL file
    2. Start FileScout on your BlackBerry and download the URL file from your Dropbox to your BlackBerry
    3. Open the URL file with FileScout
    02-19-11 12:35 PM
    I just thought it would be the right time to keep this Thread up2date...

a few days ago FileScout v2.7.0.8 have been released - the major addon with the latest build is the BBM integration - you can now send multiple files to any of your BBM-Contacts directly from the FileScout "Send to..." Menu...

Please note that the BBM integration requires BBM 6.0.0.111 (which is unfortunately still in BETA) - we all hope that it will be released soon...

all details about the FullChangeLog can be found at my website...

PS: It's amazing that after all the time there are always things that could be added/improved in FileScout - if you have any further idea (or if you miss something) - just let me know - I will check what can be done in order to make your requirement a FileScout feature.

Matthias
    07-19-11 05:47 AM
    Filescout is a must have. The new feature with BBM is nice.

Is there a Playbook version in the works. Could you add some sort of FTP file transfer capabilities to Filescout? Make it so it would save your log in and password info.
    07-19-11 08:54 AM
    Is there a Playbook version in the works.
    actually IMHO it's RIM's job to get the Apps that are designed for the Smartphones also on the PlayBook - they promised a RuntimeEnviroment [similar to the AndroidApps] - we will see, IF and WHEN this will be available...

I am not planing to rewrite all the FileScout code that have been developed in the last 3 years so that it can be used as AirApp...

Could you add some sort of FTP file transfer capabilities to Filescout? Make it so it would save your log in and password info.
    that hurts - an FTPClient - I have written one when I was a young men - I am not sure if I want to repeat that trip... On the other hand side the DropboxPlugin is some sort of cool - why not doing something similar for FTP?!
    07-19-11 09:15 AM
    New user here - Lite version on a Torch (will upgrade once I have some time to evaluate). When I open the program, I see the following folders: "SDCard", "store" and "system". What I don't see is the media card where all my pictures are stored - how do I find that?

Thanks.
    07-25-11 02:25 PM
    SDCard is your media card...
    07-25-11 02:39 PM
    Doh! I was surprised how much stuff was on it! Also, did not see my pictures but later realized they are under "Camera" instead. Thanks!
    07-25-11 03:12 PM
    We will celebrate 3'th birthday soon -
    02-16-12 05:30 AM
    Congrats! This was one of the first apps I dl'd when I got my 8110 alllll the way back in 2009! Still using it today! Keep up the awesome work!
    emacf1 likes this.
    02-17-12 02:13 PM
    Happy birfday
    emacf1 likes this.
    02-17-12 03:58 PM
    Release of FileScout & FileScoutLite 2.8.0.2
    Happy 3'rd Birthday FileScout!
    It's really amazing at the 22 of Feb. 2009 the initial BBFileScout have been released to the public for the first time via the crackberry.com forum.
    Just a couple of month later (in the Summer) the app have been selected as on of the Final 16 of the BlackBerry Partners Fund Developers Challenge 2009 - WOW - what a ride!

Quick OTA-Update Link

What's Changed
    • DevConEurope perceptions have been integrated(Thanks again D.Brown & G.Klaasen)

This year in Amsterdam I have learned few more things about the BlackBerry JavaVM and how to behave as an app running in a BlackBerry device. After the event I have reviewed a lot of my code and made use of the new knowledge.

Most of these changes are tiny little ones - which are hard to mention and explain - but the overall handling of the app seams to be much smoother.

Just as one example here: When you rename a file and the complete file name will be marked. Once you decided to delete the complete old name then cursor position display will be finally correct in this new build.

Another example is for touch devices where it could had happen that selecting a sub folder would had instantly marked a file in the directory that will be opened - this is finally solved in v2.8.0.2.

• ImageViewer
      The image pre-loading and caching of the ImageViewer have been completely reimplemented and should be now way more smoother and you should see the clock/hourglass way more seldom, if at all.

• Image Thumbnail generation & loading
      Also as consequence of the code review the original thumbnail loading and caching code have been thrown over board and has been created from scratch - I really hope you will notice the difference in the app.

• Checking the 6MiB file size limit when sending file(s) via BBM™
      Sending files via BBM™ is limited to a maximal file size of six megabytes. When you try to send larger files in the current version of the BBM™ SDK simply nothing happens after you have selected the recipients. In order to avoid this confusing situation FileScout is already checking for the max file size limit and does not display the BBM™ in the 'Send To...' dialog if the file size limit is exceeded.

Thanks Kevin for all what you did in order to encourage me to release my App here at crackberry.com - Thanks for all your valuable input & support over the last three years!
    Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 12-19-12 at 09:21 AM.
    lector likes this.
    02-18-12 02:04 AM
    Happy Birthday!
    emacf1 likes this.
    02-18-12 10:00 PM
    Release of FileScout & FileScoutLite 2.9.0.7

Quick OTA-Update Link

What's Changed
    • Bugfix for Encoding selection in the 'Save as' function (integrated text editor)
    • Minor UI tweaks for comboboxes (choices)

Matthias
    05-07-12 02:55 AM
    This continues to be one amazing app! I use the wi-fi server all the time and wow! Love the convenience and ease! Thanks so much!!
    05-07-12 06:08 AM
    12-19-12 09:20 AM
    Release of FileScout & FileScoutLite 4.0.0.3

Another year have passed
    FileScout was initially released in March 2009 - this is now more than 4 years ago. It has been a very exiting journey for me as a developer.
    You might wonder why the version number has jumped from 2.9 directly to 4.0 - well the application has been updated constantly over the years that I hope you agree that the 4.0 just reflects the age of the good old FileScout.

BTW: This new 4.0 version will still work on BlackBerry Devices running OS4.3 - I know most of you probably have a newer OS installed on their device - but IMHO it shows what you where able to do as developer - even in the year 2007.

While the app functionality have been constantly improved over time there are some areas that have been totally untouched since the initial release. One of these areas are the option screens. Of course with each release new options have been added - but they have been never reorganized.

With the new release of FileScout v4.0 all option screens have been redesigned and have now a fresh new look.

Quick OTA-Update Link

What's Changed
    • The main display have been adjusted and now a fine separator line will be painted between each file.

If you don't like this new grid then you can disable this function in the Appearance Options (by turning 'Show Grid' OFF)

The file names are now always centered to the thumbnail (no matter what size you have selected) and for touch supporting devices the row height have also been tweaked.

These adjustments unfortunately require that all thumbnails (if you make use if the build in cache) have to be recalculated.

• All application icons have been reworked to match finally the new screen sizes of the latest OS7.x devices (that's basically the core reason for the increased file size of the application))

• A preview of all the visual changes can be found here: FileScout Preview Screens (Slideshow)

• The copy, move and delete file operations (when multiple files and/or folders have been selected) could finally be canceled while they are running.

• The File-Search (key short cut [SHIFT]+[S]) and the QuickFilter (key short cut [Q]) now highlight the matches of the given search query in the result list.

• The File-Search Screen layout have been revised and the additional checkbox options (to restrict the search) are now auto-hiding themselves once a search is started - they will reappear when you focus the search text field or the search button.

• The Image-Manipulation Screen layout have been revised (the image resize options) and you should now have a much better overview concerning your actual options for image resize operations.

• Press and hold the ESC-Key will instantly terminate FileScout - there is no need any longer to go up to the file system root - finally!

• When you are press the file system browse buttons (the ones with the folder icon) in the option screens in order to adjust a path (e.g. the startup directory) then now the displayed folder list how at the button an additional button in order to select the current selected (or currently opened) directory.

• Also this build contains multiple fixes for tiny issues I have found while I was testing the changes :-)

Finally you might wonder how it could be that so many changes have been implemented in such a short period of time (since the last v2.9 release was just a couple of days ago). I don't really have a good answer - it was just that I had a lot of fun coding for the legacy BlackBerry platform and I felt the need that FileScout should look a bit better.

Thanks Kevin for all what you did in order to encourage me to release my App here at crackberry.com - Thanks for all your valuable input & support over the last four years!
    Matthias
    Attached Thumbnails BBFileScout - copy, move, rename, (un)zip or delete files &amp; directories...-9810-31.png   BBFileScout - copy, move, rename, (un)zip or delete files &amp; directories...-xxx02.png   BBFileScout - copy, move, rename, (un)zip or delete files &amp; directories...-9810-36.png   BBFileScout - copy, move, rename, (un)zip or delete files &amp; directories...-9810-76.png  
    PiotrJot likes this.
    04-08-13 07:26 AM
521 ... 192021
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD