Not to get off topic, but imo zonasnap is better than captureit. But I use the quicklaunch screenshot feature personally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 04:16 PM
    Again, just my two cents. Thanks for your efforts with this great app emacf1.
    I would be more then happy, if it would be possible to made these changes without the requirement of a device reboot - but the APIs does not allow you to do anything like that - as soon as you deeply integrate you app with the device core functionality a reboot is the only way...

... at least I build in the option to turn all this new stuff OFF
    11-30-10 12:50 AM
    Hello emacf1,

Are you familiar with the popular Dropbox application? We already know the Dropbox official application does not support Upload/Download from SD card. (This has been a major complaint of BlackBerry users of Dropbox app)

Would you be willing to add Dropbox upload/download support to BBFileScout? The Dropbox API is publicly available:
    Is it possible to obtain source code to BlackBerry Dropbox? � Dropbox Forums
    I am considering writing an app (I am a BlackBerry developer), but I'd rather you as FileScout developer, do this instead...

It probably will be quick for you to add an "Upload File to Dropbox" and "Download File from Dropbox" -- probably a project that takes you only 1 day to do. Also, Dropbox currently has no plans to add this feature to their official application, at this time... Dropbox is not even listed in the BlackBerry App World, you could become the first app to have a hit for the search keyword "dropbox" - more profit for your app. This is the #1 most popular feature request for Dropbox for BlackBerry. You can do it!

There massively a LOT more demand for this, than for a screenshot feature -- just do a trial balloon.

Cheers,
    Mark Rejhon
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 11-30-10 at 07:41 PM.
    11-30-10 04:11 PM
    Hello emacf1,

Are you familiar with the popular Dropbox application? We already know the Dropbox official application does not support Upload/Download from SD card. (This has been a major complaint of BlackBerry users of Dropbox app)

Would you be willing to add Dropbox upload/download support to BBFileScout? The Dropbox API is publicly available:
    Is it possible to obtain source code to BlackBerry Dropbox? � Dropbox Forums
    I am considering writing an app (I am a BlackBerry developer), but I'd rather you as FileScout developer, do this instead...

It probably will be quick for you to add an "Upload File to Dropbox" and "Download File from Dropbox" -- probably a project that takes you only 1 day to do. Also, Dropbox currently has no plans to add this feature to their official application, at this time... Dropbox is not even listed in the BlackBerry App World, you could become the first app to have a hit for the search keyword "dropbox" - more profit for your app. This is the #1 most popular feature request for Dropbox for BlackBerry. You can do it!

There massively a LOT more demand for this, than for a screenshot feature -- just do a trial balloon.
    I too would really like to see this functionality added to FileScout. Treat it as another storage device.

Great suggestion!
    11-30-10 04:53 PM
    I too would really like to see this functionality added to FileScout. Treat it as another storage device.

Great suggestion!
    That expands into a neat idea -- if it could in theory be 'store' 'SDCard' 'dropbox' root folders in the FileScout startup and that the Dropbox folder becomes something I can copy/rename/move files and folders to/from. That would make it *even* better! Apparently, the Dropbox API is pretty easy to do -- https://www.dropbox.com/developers/docs

But to prevent scaring away the filescout developer of a large workload, I'll settle for just an "Upload" / "Download" menu option!
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 11-30-10 at 07:55 PM.
    11-30-10 07:38 PM
    Indeed a complete integration would be some sort of complicated... I have something similar in my mind (with FTP) in the past - but skipped that project...

I am going to take a look into the API's and then I will see what can be done... One think you should have in mind, that providers might not like the idea - cause of the expected additional traffic... Might be it will be smart to create this as some sort of "plugin" into FileScout... [or develop complete independent application that can be used from every developer - I did that already with GPSiesConnect]...

but first of all thanks for pushing me into this :-)
    Mark Rejhon and anon(49433) like this.
    12-01-10 09:19 AM
    but first of all thanks for pushing me into this :-)
    You're welcome. I am planning to create a Dropbox uploader/downloader application in February if no other developers such as you take first dibs. Let that light a fire under you! All I need is a rudimentary method of upload/download -- then I don't need to write this app. (I have other profitable ideas to chase) Besides, I've already paid for two copies of BBFileScout on two BlackBerries (but I'll pay again if need be, or donate to a feature-enhancement 'fund')

[WARNING: Technical info below -- brainstorming programmer ideas how to quickly add Dropbox support to FileScout]

I'd write this in private, but I think writing this in public has historically lit more fires under developers, so here goes...

To keep it simple, if you didn't want to support the full Dropbox folder tree -- you can keep it to just one folder. Upload support should be very easy to do, even to a hardcoded "BBFiles" folder (automatically create it on Dropbox if that folder does not exist on Dropbox). If you don't feel like writing a folder browser for Dropbox (which should still be easy to do), download support could even be limited to files located in the BBFiles folder -- you can ask people to use the official Dropbox BB app to move files to the Dropbox BBFiles folder, so that FileScout can download from that folder. Presto -- my feature request now becomes less than 1 day of programming work. Just simply "Upload" and "Download" options added to menu. (Even the folder browser for selecting a file on Dropbox to download to BlackBerry, should still be pretty easy to do)

Or you're actually thinking of full integration? Here is a tip on Full integration: Try migrating FileScout java class architecture to use wrappers for all the BlackBerryOS file API's -- Create/Read/Write/Rename/Move etc. Then when adding Dropbox as a different filesystem, you'd just write internal FileScout Java class wrappers for the Dropbox equivalents. Bandwidth won't be a concern because little bandwidth will be used UNTIL an actual 'upload' or 'download' request is done (which could even instead be implemented via 'Copy' operations between SDCard and Dropbox). You'd automatically call the Dropbox wrapper if a path contained "/Dropbox" instead of "/SDCard". For copying between systems, you'd be calling "read" of the dropbox wrapper and "write" of the bbos-filesystem wrapper, as an example. Then folder copy is supported automatically because you're just calling wrapper functions. You already have error recovery for corrupt/accidentally removed SD cards, just use the same error recovery techniques for interrupted connections (network issues, etc). Directory browsing and stuff don't use much bandwidth, and you can automatically display a warning of bandwidth usage. You can say ZIP operations are not natively supported on Dropbox. Add a new function that totals up all files in a path (which will be useful if you add FTP in the future, etc), so that if data exceeds X megabytes, a warning will pop up to tell you that the operation is expensive.

Don't worry about overwriting files on Dropbox, so don't spend hours writing a complicated confirmation system. Just display confirmation dialog if the operation detects a file might be overwritten or deleted, be done with it. Dropbox also allows you to rollback overwritten files up to 30 days back in history. (Time Machine or SVN or CVS style!) If user goes "oops", they go to Dropbox website on their laptop, click a couple links, and they've fixed their accidental delete or accidental overwrite.

Or if you don't like to do things that way, another idea is that Upload/Download becomes "Send File/Receive File" with future expandable pop up dialog selector "Send File To: [Dropbox] [FTP] [Email] [BBMessengerUser]" -- where you add extra buttons as you eventually program additional support. (Much like "Share" -> select [Email] [Facebook] [Twitter], that BlackBerry OS already does)

If you go a more comprehensive option of doing a file system, or you are concerned about data transfers:
    your FileScout options could include these options:
    [764] <reset> Number of megabytes transferred since installing FileScout
    [100] Max megabytes for an individual operation (i.e. folder transfer)
    [ ] Block: Display transfer failure message above this limit
    [X] Confirm: Display confirmation dialog above this limit

You could have a flag that upon first operation on Dropbox, you display a warning dialog "Operations on Dropbox will use your carrier's data plan. Please ensure you are on an unlimited data plan, or have plenty of data remaining.". (then set a flag to true in you config store, so this message is not displayed again)

The login/password for Dropbox is pretty simple. You're using standard encrypted HTTPS GET/POST requests with JSON-formatted data. Optional persistency of login credientials is possible with an easy token style mechanism, a session-ID-like value that can be stored in your Dropbox config file so the user does not have to enter user/password everytime (The pairing shows up on the Dropbox website's user options, so it can also be remotely revoked by the user in one click, such as if BlackBerry gets stolen, so it's more secure than a plain session ID) - see Dropbox SDK / API for more info about its login security.

Now as an end user... What matters is I want to be able to download a file from Dropbox, so I can later load it up the way I want, or attach it to an email message, or put it in my existing BlackBerry documents folder. I'll settle for any method. Single file upload, single file download -- good enough for me. No sync. No folders. Single file access is good enough to get that emergency presentation, or that forgotten code module from a computer 100 miles away, or grab a copy of that proposal from my computer to attach to a BlackBerry email, etc -- and uses less than a megabyte a month of cellphone data.

Different people use Dropbox for different purposes. But I keep my computer's entire "My Documents" folder tree including Visual Studio and JDE projects on Dropbox - also automatically keeps my two computers in sync so I don't have to copy back and fourth. If you have not used Dropbox, you should know it is addictive for those people who are struggling to keep mirrors of their own files on desktop and laptop, or on-the-go -- it behaves as a file replicator/synchronizer too. Dropbox is also amazing for single developers too: Debugging the same compile on two different computers in two different emulators is also possible! Compile once in JDE, Dropbox syncs the project in 2 seconds over the LAN, launch emulator on both computers simultaneously to debug the same app -- Dropbox is an amazing utility for developers. Or I compile a half-debugged change on my desktop, suddenly decide I need to leave, I grab my laptop, and continue debugging on my laptop somewhere else (now automatically syncing over WiFi or 3G laptop stick) -- without needing to copy the project over manually. Since dropbox behaves as a journalling online backup too (revision control features), it also serves as a rudimentary CVS and SVN system if you are a single-developer project that don't need the full features of source code revision control. Dropbox is cross platform, so it keeps your Mac folders in sync with PC folders automatically without using network drives (and allows you to work unplugged, too, syncing in the background the next time you connect). And of course, having My Documents accessible mean all the important documents are in ready access even the BlackBerry, without needing to remember to copy folders to the SD card (always a pain to keep devices in sync) -- I'd just only download a file or two that I really need on the spur. Dropbox already syncs PC's, Linux, and Mac's, so your changes to FileScout to allow upload/download would bring the BlackBerry truly 'into the fold' of a Dropbox user's ecosystem. You don't need to support all features of Dropbox, just upload/download.

Get familiar with Dropbox, is what I urge you to do... And get familiar with the silly limitations of the official BlackBerry dropbox app -- how do you attach a Word document to an email? How do you upload an MP4 file from your BlackBerry's camera? How do you download a text file and edit it with your favourite third party BlackBerry text editor? I can't do any of that with the official Dropbox app. It's quite silly. All I need is Upload and Download to SD card...

Carrier data is a non-issue if you keep it simple anyway. If I am away from any computer, then the ability to download a single Dropbox file on BlackBerry, can be sometimes a lifesaver. Even if it is just a 50 kilobytes file! If you need help brainstorming or need to ask me questions about Dropbox API, email me at consulting [at] rejtech.com ...

Or write a separate Dropbox app (using FileScout as a codebase). I don't care. Just do it. You sound like the perfect person to do it. You've got most of the code (most of the wheel is already invented), and Dropbox is just a little sugar. If you keep it very simple for now, it should be a relatively small feature enhancement. Brainstorm!
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 12-01-10 at 03:56 PM.
    12-01-10 02:51 PM
    I will add my 2 cents to request that feature. I'd be willing to pay for an app that did this!
    12-01-10 02:53 PM
    @mdrejhon - let's do that by mail...

the challenge is not "how to integrate it into the gui" - the challenge is how to use the OAuth based API... - details in the Dropbox Forum.
    12-01-10 03:29 PM
    just as little update - I have worked the past week with high pressure on a possible Dropbox integration... and it looks quite nice in the moment...

It will be an additional Plugin for FileScout (so everybody who is not interested in the new feature can save some space on his device)...

In the first version there will be an "Receive from Dropbox" Menuitem (that works the same as the "Receive via Bluetooth" and in the "Send to..." popup you will have an additional Button to upload the current selected (single) file to your Dropbox account...

Both will then bring a Popup window showing your current Dropbox content and you can navigate though it as you are used to from FileScout... There are a lot of features that still need to be added (like create a new Folder) but the core functionality is there (and seams to be working quite nice - I have uploaded a 17MB ZIP via WiFi to Dropbox without any issues - IMHO this sounds promising)...

In the moment I am waiting for the Dropbox Team to review my implementation so that other people can use my "FileScout Dropbox Plugin" as well - currently I am the "only" tester so for sure there will be "some" issues in the code

While we are all waiting I could tease you with some screenshots
    Last edited by emacf1; 12-09-10 at 08:59 AM.
    12-09-10 08:57 AM
    This is awesome!

Thank you for the work you put into this!

Jeffrey
    12-09-10 09:44 AM
    Yowza! Great job of not only listening to your customers but acting upon their suggestions.

Does FileScout save its settings to the SD Card? If so, where? If not, could you please incorporate that into the program?

Thanks!
    12-09-10 12:35 PM
    Yowza! Great job of not only listening to your customers but acting upon their suggestions.
    ... I am doing this for almost 2 years now - FileScout is completely "community driven"...

Does FileScout save its settings to the SD Card? If so, where? If not, could you please incorporate that into the program
    The configuration of FileScout is stored in the so called PersistenceStore and there is no access to that extra memory - when you like to transfer the FileScout settings from one device to another then simply use the Backup & Restore functionality - cause there the data that will be written by FileScout into the PersistenceStore will be included.
    12-09-10 01:06 PM
    Is that through the DM? Like a calendar?
    12-09-10 02:08 PM
    when you are talking about the way how the data is stored in the device memory - then the answer is yes - you can see the FileScout entries when you make a backup with the DesktopManager...
    12-09-10 02:12 PM
    Actually, I'm talking about saving the Options/Settings like BerryBuzz or BerryWeather does.

That way it's not a PITA to restore your settings after an OS change.
    12-09-10 02:32 PM
    actually even if this totally OT :-)

When I make an OS update I use DesktopManager...

1) create a Backup of my current device
    2) update the OS
    3) restore the Backup - and with that all my Settings & Configurations are there... [including FileScout & Iconify...]

I can't see what can be a PITA there...
    12-09-10 03:18 PM
    That will not work for over the air like I did the last time - the SD card is the only perm storage that any OS change shouldn't hurt.
    12-09-10 04:34 PM
    Beta testing it, I helped (a little) with a few very small technical details!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 12-11-10 at 01:42 PM.
    12-11-10 01:40 PM
    but have in mind that there is still some work to do before this can be released to the public - Dropbox staff was so kind to "pre release" my Application Key in order to allow selected people (like you Mark) to test the current implementation...

before going officially "live" there is and additional review phase required
    Last edited by emacf1; 12-11-10 at 01:57 PM.
    12-11-10 01:45 PM
    Wow, that's freakin sick!
    I've stuck with file manager pro cuz I didn't really want to buy a second file browsing app, but I might have to now! Thisll be especially handy since I learned how to create ota links via dropbox
    You need any more beta testers in the meantime emacf1?

12-11-10 11:41 PM
    Thisll be especially handy since I learned how to create ota links via dropbox
    Unfortunatly there is no public accessible API for creating this Dropbox-Share-Links (there are lot of requests by other developers as well to offer such a function) - but for now this "create a share link" functionality is exclusive available in the Dropbox-Client
    12-12-10 02:32 AM
    I didn't figure there would be, but all in all I'm excited for this - at very least I can upload the otas from my sd card to my dropbox and free up 50mb or so for music not a ton, but a whole albums worth.
    So it's a seperate plugin for FileScout that adds the functionality - sounds awesome. Is there an ETA for release?

12-12-10 11:28 AM
    sorry it's impossible for me to give you a ETA - first of all I am doing all this from my sofa - so when my three Girls looking for some attention I am spending time with them - even if two of the three going to leave me in a couple of years - I still have the hope that the third will stay with me.

So beside that every time I work on this I discover a new issue either with my code or with the BlackBerry OS itself - E.g. I spend the complete day understanding the limits of HTTP POSTs - and it's quite frustrating that even in OS4.7 (Strom1) I am not able to send files larger the 8KiB... For me as developer that's very frustrating.

Another aspect is that you only can transfer a single file... I know you all are used to transfer complete folder structures with FileScout - but right now I a not able to get that working - neither downloading nor uploading... I am not sure what the users will expect... Of course doing this one by one is better then nothing... but I am working hard on these issues - since first of all I have to be happy with the result.
    Last edited by emacf1; 12-12-10 at 12:32 PM.
    12-12-10 12:27 PM
    No worries man, family is way more important than an app is. I'm sure the end result will be totally awesome.
    Enjoy your sunday.
    12-12-10 01:00 PM
521 ... 1718192021
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD