So, basically we can't delete sample pictures in OS5.0 with FileScout?
    11-18-09 03:28 PM
    So, basically we can't delete sample pictures in OS5.0 with FileScout?
    That's 100% correct.

RIM had good reason why they made the System Folder read only: They want to deny applications to write data into that folder.

Unfortunately to be able to delete you also need write access (that is not granted) - this is a side effect of this new OS5.x - only RIM can change this situation (which will not going to happen).

The API can not distinguish between 'delete' and 'write' access - so that's why any 3'rd party application can not delete anything in OS5.x System Folders (Bold & Storm) and this will not change in the future (as long as RIM does not change again this policy).
    11-18-09 03:37 PM
    FileScout patch 1.5.2.0
    Bugfix - Backup & Restore Favorites

What's fixed?
    • Fix for restore of Favorites messed up the Favorites List
      • Do not restore a old backup (you made since v1.5.0.0 was installed) after you updated to v1.5.2.0 or your Favorites will get messed up again
      • You can clean your broken List, by
        1. opening the list
        2. use the [DEL] key to remove all entries.
        3. Then create a new List.
      • To be on the safe side: after you have updated to v1.5.2.0 simply create a new backup of your device!

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the FileScout Homepage

or (might not work for some OS5.0 users):

1. simply start FileScout
    2. open the Options
    3. select "Check for updates..."

Matthias
    11-20-09 06:10 AM
    I've got a quick question. I have a zip file that contains a .jad and .cod. Will I be able to load the app with bbfilescout?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 11:10 AM
    you should be able to unzip the archive with FileScout and open then the JAD to install the application...
    11-20-09 11:48 AM
    Hi, would it be possible to implement a feature that: "shrinks the size of a Voicenote". Sometimes when trying to send a voicenote through mms it says the size is too large. I think mms refuses to send anything above 300 - 400kb (not quite sure the exact limit). I like the resize photo option, so I hope this is also something that can be developed in the future.
    Last edited by 2thepoint; 11-30-09 at 07:10 AM.
    11-30-09 07:06 AM
    with all respect - how should/could be a voicenote shrinked? -> you mean try to create a mp3 with a lower quality?!
    11-30-09 08:34 AM
    with all respect - how should/could be a voicenote shrinked? -> you mean try to create a mp3 with a lower quality?!

Yes, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. The blackberry voicenote extension is .amr, but any audio file would do.
    I'm not a developer so I have no idea how it would actually be done, i'm only asking if it could be done, is it possible (to do this on the device itself).

Thanks for your reply
    11-30-09 01:18 PM
    just a short note - if you like to keep in touch with FileScout there is a new section on emacberry.com that will list you all the current possibilities... So if you like to stay in touch -> http://www.emacberry.com/bbfs/bbfilescout_08sit.html

Happy Xmas to everyone...
    12-23-09 02:35 PM
    FileScout release 1.6.3.0
    FileScout -or- 100% free FileScoutLite
    New Features: eMail Archive function - Search enhancements - Drive Usage

What's new?
    • FileScout comes now in two Versions
      • 100% free FileScoutLite Version with the core functionality:
        • File system browser for your BlackBerry� (including hidden files)
        • Create directories, copy, move, rename, or delete files
        • Copy and delete complete directory structures
        • Show details for files & directories [modification date, is hidden, etc...]
        • Open all media files (supported by your BlackBerry�)
        • Text Viewer (e.g. for ini, xml, etc.)
        • Zip-Archive handling
      • Full FileScout Version which requires a 'Registration Code' with the additional features:
        • File Search
        • Thumbnail display for images
        • Image manipulation
        • Text Editor
        • Send files via eMail/Bluetooth
        • eMail Archive function
        • Playlist creation
        • Favorite-Directory handling
        • Directory Tree navigation (Goto...)
        • AutoUpdate check
        • Support via eMail

Before you purchase your copy of FileScout make use of the 14 day trial period.
    • Autocheck for available updates (every 7 days) - never miss a new version of FileScout - could be disabled in the options
    • Search dialog improvements
    • Thumbnail Generation optimization: Specify directories that should be excluded from the Thumbnail persistence
    • eMail Archive function:
      • Directly from the BlackBerry� Message Application you can select an eMail and store it's content (incl. all meta data) to a previously specified directory of your device (e.g. on your SDSCard). FileScout then will create a substructure (YEAR, MONTH, DAY) and store the eMail with all data that is accessible via RIM's API in one folder per message.
      • Additionally to the raw data of the message FileScout can create a rendition of the Message - either in HTML or in plain text depending on the message format. These files then can be opened anytime - no matter if the original message is still present on your device or not.
      • Download of external images of HTML-Messages [incl. an option to force transfer via the devices TCP (instead of using your BES connection)]
      • 'Reply/Reply All' from FileScout to an archived message (plain text messages will be quoted)
    • Drive Usage Map
      • Display for each root of your device the disk space usage across its structure.
      • Delete directories (including sub structures)
      • Open a directory from the tree structure
    • New Editor Option: 'Autobackup on Save'
      If enabled in the options FileScout will create a backup each time of the current file when a save is performed in the integrated text editor.
    • The TextEditor will show a * once the text is modified
    • All Tree Dialogs ['DriveUsage' & 'Go to directory'] now support two additional key shortcuts:
      • [T]: Go to the (t)op of the tree
      • [B]: Go to the (b)ottom of the tree
    • Thumbnail display can make use of the BlackBerry� device generated thumbnails that are stored in the 'BBThumbs.dat' files (when available).
    • File Details Dialog will show original image width & height in pixel (when information is available from the thumbnail cache)

What's fixed?
    • .amr files will be shown as supported audio files
    • Selection of BBThumbs.dat files via [SPACE]-Key
    • Fix for thumbnail display for images with with extreme ratios
    • Fixes in background process for detecting new directories and sub structures
    • Intend for all tree displays adjusted (now the display looks way more like a tree)
    • Storm(2) & Bold(2) OS5 fixes (e.g. for recursive search or folder details)
    • General display adjustments for Storm & Storm2 (higher columns in all trees and lists).

The full changelog (with additional details) can be found at the emacberry.com FileScout Homepage

When you want to purchase already an FileScout Registration Code you can do this here in the MobiHand-Shop:
    FileScout - the complete file, text, zip, and image manager

Installation & Update

or (might not work for some OS5.0 users):

2. open the Options

Matthias
    02-27-10 11:22 AM
    when i use filescout to add custom folder icons on my 8330 running 4.5, it doesnt work...y is that? does iit not work on 4.5?
    02-27-10 01:30 PM
    when i use filescout to add custom folder icons on my 8330 running 4.5, it doesnt work...y is that? does iit not work on 4.5?
    See it's not up to FileScout to decide on which devices and OS you can manipulate the "folders" directory [RIM make that kind of decitions when they release a OS for a device]. So when a previous Version of FileScout does not allow you to perform this task, then the new version can't do that either.
    02-27-10 01:35 PM
    I just would like to let you know, that I have released another small fix for FileScout:

2010/03/17 - FileScout hotfix 1.6.3.2
    What's fixed?
    • eMail Archiving: Saving attachments with invalid chars in filename (like '*', '?' or ':')
    • Create new directories or text files will also check for invalid chars in the entered filename

The easiest way to update the current Installation of FileScout is via the FileScout Options: "Check for updates..." - or simply wait a max of seven days, then FileScout should automatically inform you that a new Version is available.

Matthias
    03-17-10 06:46 AM
    thanks for the update
    03-17-10 11:20 AM
    FileScout release 1.7.0.0
    Dedicated to my grand mother Maxi
    Integrated Image Viewer - browse all images of a directory

What's new?
    • Image Viewer - FileScout have now a complete independent Image Viewer that allows to scroll to next or previous images in the same directory (without the requirement to go back to the FileScout file listing).
      Additionally FileScout can cache the images that are ahead and/or that are already shown (the amount of images that will be cached depends from your available memory - FileScout will automatically check the available free memory in the background and remove the 'oldest' images from the cache if the device have not enough free memory left).
      • Storm & Storm2 Users
        • Click on the right side of the touch screen to get to the next image
        • Click on the left side of the touch screen to get to the previous image

• Available keyboard shortcuts:
        NAV RIGHT: Previous Image
        NAV LEFT: Next Image
        [O]: (O)pen current image with BlackBerry� default image content handler:
        This allows you to perform all available options image operations like Zoom, use the Image as HomeScreen background etc...
        [I]: (I)mage Details: Opening the default file detail dialog of FileScout
        [N]: (N)ext Image
        [P]: (P)revious Image
      • New Option Section 'ImageViewer Options':
        • Use FileScout buildIn ImageViewer [default: ON]
          If you do not like to use the new feature you can completely disable it
        • Upscale smaller Images [default: ON]
        • Prefetch all Images in directory [default: ON]
          FileScout can preload the images in the current directory for faster viewing. Please note cause of device memory limitations it could be, that not all images could be preloaded. FileScout will automatically load only as much images as fit into the device memory
        • Filename display (time in sec) [default: 3 sec]
          FileScout will display the filename of the current image as overlay at the bottom of the screen. You can specify the time in seconds how long this overlay should appear. You can specify 0 seconds to turn off this feature.
    • Bluetooth enhancements
      • Available Bluetooth device list will start with 'Please wait...' to indicate that FileScout is searching for available BlueTooth devices (instead of *empty*)
      • Massive performance improvements in the Search for available Bluetooth devices.

What's fixed?
    • FileScout is able to find and use a Bluetooth device when more then one device is in the range of your BlackBerry� (in previous versions the list of available devices was always empty in this case).

The full changelog (with additional details) can be found at the emacberry.com FileScout Homepage

When you want to purchase already an FileScout Registration Code you can do this here in the MobiHand-Shop:
    FileScout - the complete file, text, zip, and image manager

Installation & Update

or:

2. open the Options

Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 03-26-10 at 06:33 AM.
    03-26-10 06:30 AM
    you keep optimizing this app, verry nice to see the frequent updates and new functions.
    03-28-10 02:03 PM
    I just installed file scout and tried to delete the preloaded pictures and ringtones. I got the message that they were read-only, and can't be deleted.

QUOTE=emacf1;1863976] FileScout
    Browsing the file system of your BB - copy, move, rename, (un)zip or delete files & directories and much more!

I would like to use the opportunity to present an application that I have written for the all BB with OS 4.3 or higher (sorry no support for 4.2.1 devices) [successfully tested (by other users and myself) with 8110, 8310, 8330, 8700, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000, 9500, 9530 & 9630] (probably more - check 100% free|pay-what-you-want Software for BlackBerry� Devices with OS 4.2.1 or higher for an up2date list of supported devices).

Core Features
    • FileScout allows you to browse the file system of your BB (including hidden files)
    • Create directories, copy, move, rename or delete files
    • Zipping files or complete directory structures
    • Extracting Zip archives (incl. structures)
    • Furthermore FileScout supports copying and deleting of complete directory structures
    • You can open all (by your Blackberry supported) media files
    • Register additional file types with other (3'rd party) applications (like pdf's)
    • FileScout allows you to open files (like ini, xml, etc.) as plain text, so you are able to edit, mark, copy & paste text fragments of these files that normally can't be opened with your Blackberry. This can become very valuable when you receive eMail attachments that are not native supported by your Blackberry
    • With FileScout you can delete pre installed wallpapers, videos and ringtones in order to free memory on your device*** - but please note, that once they are deleted the only way to get them back is to hard reset your device!
    • Send any file as eMail attachment to your BB contacts
    • Create easy playlists across multiple folders
    • Define a favorite directory list (as shortcuts)
    • More to come...

Some files on a BB devices have some sort of DRM (DigitalRightsManagement). Cause of this it could be, that the files can not be copied, moved. FileScout will give you a warning information once you try to copy a file that have 'encrypted content' - FileScout will mark these files with a "lock" symbol. Additionally it could be the case, that even deleting of this content is not possible.

FileScout is pay-what-you-want: if you find the application useful day by day and you want that I am able to invest more of my time into the development of this application, then please be so kind and send me a little donation - details at the FileScout Homepage - TIA.

Features
    What you can do with FileScout
    • Browse over the file system of your Blackberry® device
    • Show hidden files and directories (indicated by grey name)
    • Show 'encrypted content' (indicated by a lock icon)
    • Creating new directories
    • Copy a single file (or a group of files) from one folder to another - to do so:
      1. select a single file (or mark multiple files by pressing the SPACE-key) in any directory
      2. choose Store '[SourceFile]' on Stack from the menu
      3. browse to the target folder
      4. select Copy '[SourceFile]' to '[CurrentDir]' from the menu.
    • Move files (incl. multi select)* (in the same way as copy a file)
    • Auto rename/overwrite if a file already exist at the destination [of copy & move], this behavior is configurable via options
    • Renaming existing files*
    • Delete existing files [even ones that are preinstalled (like wallpapers or ringtones)]*, ***
    • Copy complete directory structures (including all it's content) in the same way as single files can be copied
    • Move complete directory structures (including all it's content) in the same way as single files can be moved
    • Delete directories with all its content (recursive)*
    • Unpack ZIP-Archives (including directory structures)
    • Create a ZIP-Archive from a marked single file
    • Create a ZIP-Archive from a group of files (mark multiple files by pressing the SPACE-key)
    • Create a ZIP-Archive from a selected directory (including all it's content/recursive)
    • Create Playlists across multiple folders [select in any folder your audio files (via Space-Key) and once you have marked all files select 'Create Playlist from <selection>' from the menu]
      (this menu item is only available, if you have specified a 'Playlist Directory' in the options)
    • FileScout register itself as default content handler for '.INI', '.LOG' and '.XML' files [This allows you to open this files e.g. from eMail attachments directly in the FileScout SimpleTextViewer/Editor] (experimental)
    • Opening Media-Files**:
      • Audio: W4A|AAC|MP3|WAV|AU3|MID|WMA
      • Video: MPEG|AVI|MP4|3GP
      • Image: JPG|PNG|GIF|TIFF|SVG|BMP
      • Office (requires installed "Office to go"): DOC|XLS|PPT
      • PDF (requires installed "PDF to go" or 'Repligo Reader')
      • Other: TXT|HTML
      • Playlists: M3U
    • Opening custom registered files:
      • FileScout allows you to associate own file extensions with custom applications (like you might know it from other OS)
      • Simply enter the extension [without '.' (dot)] in the FileScout-Options
      • Once such an associations is configured (via FileScout options) you could open any file type with any application that you have registered****
    • Opening Files in a SimpleTextViewer:
      • You can open small files (smaller then 250KiB) in plain text mode - This enables you to open XML's, INI's or any kind of script files (or any other files) in your Blackberry&reg;
      • Once the file is opened, you can mark/select text and copy it into the clipboard (to use it where ever you like or need it)
    • Opening Files in a SimpleTextEditor:
      • Once it's enabled in the options you can edit the text files that you have opened in the SimpleTextEditor. But FileScout is still far away from becoming a fully functional text editor (that might change in further releases).
      • by default all files will be open with UTF-8 character encoding
      • Re-read file with different encodings:
        • Re-read file with 'UTF-8' encoding
        • Re-read file with 'ISO-8859-1' encoding
        • Re-read file with 'UTF-16BE' encoding
        • Re-read file with 'US-ASCII' encoding

• Save File
      • Save File as...
      • both 'save' functions will use UTF-8 encoding
    • Creating new text files (if edit-mode is configured in options)
    • File details:
      • Filename (complete)
      • File size
      • MIME type
      • Last modification date
      • Is BuildIn [YES|NO]
      • Is DRMLocked [YES|NO] (if accessible)
      • Is Encrypted [YES|NO]
    • Send any file as eMail attachment to your BB contacts (experimental)
    • Options:
      • General Settings
        • Startup Directory (default EMPTY)
        • Confirm Exit of FileScout (default OFF)
        • Confirm Delete of files & directories (default ON)
        • Show hidden files & directories (default ON)
        • Sort directory content [will separate directories and files from each other and sort them by name (case insensitive)] (default OFF)
        • Use BB build in eMail composer (default ON)
        • Default action when destination exist ['do nothing'|'rename file'|'overwrite destination'|'ask each time'] (default 'do nothing')

• Media-Player Options
        • Playlist Directory (default EMPTY)
        • Clear selection after Playlist creation (default ON)

• Simple TextViewer/Editor
        • Allow editing in SimpleTextViewer (default OFF)

• File associations
        • Use the FileScout build-in text viewer/editor (default ON)
        • Use the FileScout build-in ZIP handler (default ON)
        • Force BB media content handler for images, audio &amp; video files (default OFF)
        • Custom file associations

• Key short cuts:
      • [C|V]: (C)opy to Clipboard [store the actual selected file/dir on the Stack]
      • [O|P]: (P)aste from Clipboard [copy the current file on the stack to the current directory]
      • [M]: (M)ove from Clipboard [move the current file on the stack to the current directory]
      • [U|I]: (I)nformation about selected file [file details]
      • [DEL|Backspace]: (Del)ete file/directory
      • [A|S]: (A)rchive file/directory
      • [E|R]: (R)rename file/directory
      • [D|F]: Create NEW (d)irectory
      • [L]: Create play(l)ist from selection
      • [T|Z] [T|Y]: (T)ext mode Edit [open the current file in the simple text viewer/editor]
      • [SPACE]: Select/Deselect the current highlighted file
      • [SHIFT]+NAV UP|DOWN: Select/Deselect multiple files
      • [G|H]: (G)oto favorites [open favorites Dialog (if defined)]
      • [SHIFT]+[G|H]: (G)oto any Directory [will open a tree structure of your BB filesystem]
    • More to come...

* Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk!

** Not all media types might be supported by your device

*** Some files on a Blackberry device are marked as "BuildIn" - unfortunately most of the time it's not possible for FileScout to delete this type of files.

**** The 3'rd party application itself have to support to be started with an file as additional command line parameter (this is quite usual in other OS's but I do not know much about 3'rd party Blackberry applications right now)

License/Price
    BBFileSout is offered on a 'pay-what-you-want' base - This means that the software that you can download is fully functional. It comes without any functional restrictions or evil things like a nag-screen. If you are going to use this application then please be so fair and send me a donation - what ever you think the application is worth and of course what ever you can (or will) afford to pay.

Installation

Additional Notes
    • Please Note: Some files on a BB devices have some sort of DRM (DigitalRightsManagement). Cause of this it could be, that the files can not be copied, moved. FileScout will give you a warning information once you try to copy a file that have 'encrypted content' - FileScout will mark these files with a "lock" symbol. Additionally it could be the case, that even deleting of this content is not possible.
    • Even if I own a Storm myself there is no extra TouchScreen support (yet) - this means it will work on a Strom like on any other BB-Device.
    • Some parts/files in the '/system' and '/store' folders might reappear after a battery pull - The device seams to auto restore some of the files.

Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Looking forward for your comments
    Matthias[/QUOTE]
    04-07-10 03:04 PM
    I just installed file scout and tried to delete the preloaded pictures and ringtones. I got the message that they were read-only, and can't be deleted.
    This is related to the changes in OS5.0 itself [FileScout exist a bit longer]... in OS5.0 the System folder is write protected.
    04-15-10 05:19 AM
    FileScout release 1.8
    Receive files via Bluetooth / QuickFilter / Iconify v1.3.0+ file and folder Link support

Installation & Update

or:

2. open the Options

Matthias
    04-15-10 05:20 AM
    FileScout release 1.8.6
    Printing with BreezyPrint, SMS-Archive & Bugfixes

Installation & Update

or:

2. open the Options

Matthias
    06-02-10 04:21 PM
    sorry for teasing you - I just would like to show (specially to Storm & Storm2 users) the new FileScout that will be released shortly - it will come with full touch screen support which is quite a relive for myself...

Please check out the attached ScreenShot
    Last edited by emacf1; 08-02-10 at 04:23 AM.
    08-02-10 04:20 AM
    Can't wait - love this app!
    08-02-10 06:25 AM

Are you gonna include a way to view the contents of a zip file without unzipping it? IMO, that's the one feature this app lacks to be perfect.
    08-02-10 12:11 PM
    Are you gonna include a way to view the contents of a zip file without unzipping it?
    actually I think the chances are quite high that we will see this feature in FileScout soon...
    08-04-10 08:15 AM
    also a good news is, that FileScout will run on the new 9800'er running on OS6
    08-04-10 05:45 PM
521 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD