since nobody mentioned it so far - I will do it... I am very proud to let you know, that FileScout have been chosen as one of the 16 finalists of this year developer challenge...

More details at the official Press Release of the BlackBerry Partners Fund.

Thanks for all your valuable input that have made FileScout the application that it is right now.

Matthias
    10-04-09 10:05 AM
    first of all i would like to thank matthias for making the most usefull bb app, for me filescout is an app that i use every day and i never had a blackberrry without filescout these days.
    so i would like to ask to all fellow cracberry buddys that use this app to do a donation

lector.
    10-04-09 10:30 AM
    Congrats.

(longer message necessary)
    10-04-09 07:08 PM
    Hello,

I've deleted files under system/samples (large preloaded pics and music files I do not need), however after I reset my BB9000 by pulling out battery, those came back. What am I missing here? Any advise is greatly apprecited.

Thank you.
    10-08-09 09:59 AM
    Emacf1, Any chance that you will make a BBfilescout that works with 5.0.0.230? I just downloaded the latest 1.3.0 software and it appears to be incompatible with 5.0. I can only access my SDCard and Store when using Filescout. If you click on system it will not open the directory which for me kind of defeats the purpose of filescout because I want to get in there to delete samples. When I click on system, it will just keep writing the word system at the top but never actually opens the system folder. In the past before 5.0 I could open the system folder and then click on sample folder then delete any unwanted pictures, tones, folders, etc. I wanted. Now it wont let me open the folder. I don't know if this question has been addressed yet but thought I would ask and make you aware of the issue.
    Also thanks for all your hardwork and dedication to this application. Congratulations on being a finalist of the year developer challenge!
    Last edited by 1967LS2; 10-08-09 at 10:39 AM.
    10-08-09 10:29 AM
    In the past before 5.0 I could open the system folder and then click on sample folder then delete any unwanted pictures, tones, folders, etc. I wanted.

Are you saying after the battery pull those files did not come back?

Thank you
    10-08-09 11:57 AM
    I've deleted files under system/samples (large preloaded pics and music files I do not need), however after I reset my BB9000 by pulling out battery, those came back. What am I missing here? Any advise is greatly apprecited.
    No you do not have missed much - as said on my website - in a additional note section
    Some parts/files in the '/system' and '/store' folders might reappear after a battery pull - The device seams to auto restore some of the files.
    Looks like that some OS/Vendor have decided that they know better, what should be on a device and what not...
    10-08-09 12:58 PM
    Emacf1, Any chance that you will make a BBfilescout that works with 5.0.0.230? I just downloaded the latest 1.3.0 software and it appears to be incompatible with 5.0. I can only access my SDCard and Store when using Filescout. If you click on system it will not open the directory which for me kind of defeats the purpose of filescout because I want to get in there to delete samples. When I click on system, it will just keep writing the word system at the top but never actually opens the system folder.
    You mean, FileScout will hang up while reading the folder? -> or is it that the folder ist just listed as "empty" -> and with that only the "up one dir" item appears?

When FileScout is just listing System without content (just the "one Up one Dir" item), then looks to me, that RIM have decided, that no Application should be able to access the System folder anylonger :-|

If FileScout hangs up some sort of, that I need an OS 5.x in a simulator somehow - if there is anybody that could give me a hand how to update the OS on a Simulator it would be highly appreciated to get some help here... Since then I would be able to debug this...
    10-08-09 01:17 PM
    I don't know if my isue is the same as the poster above me, but on my Bold running 5.0.0.238, BBFileScout still works just fine, but I can't access the system folder. When I start the program, my choices are:

system
    device
    SDCard

If I click 'system,' it says I'm in the system directory but the same three choices are available. No matter how many times I click system, it adds a level to the path it says I'm in, but still the same three options show up. So after several tries my screen might look like this:

system\system\system\:

system
    device
    SDCard

So I'm guessing you are right, Matthias. It appears to me that your app is still completely compatible with even the newest leaked versions of OS 5.0 but RIM is blocking access to the system volume. Lame. Back to forcefully (and tediously) removing unwanted stuff from a computer instead of a convenient app on the phone. Thanks for protecting me from myself, RIM.
    10-08-09 01:54 PM
    Hi,

I try to understand, what is happing in my code (on OS 5.x)... Actually I do understand your words - but in the combination with the source code it does not makes sense at all...

Just allow me some additional questions:
    When you have opens 'system' once and your file list does not get updated - I assume, when you click then on 'SDCard', that then also "nothing" happens?

Can you press 'ESC' till you see in the title back just Dir: '/' ?

When you are back in Dir: '/' can you then open the other two root folders?

The reason why I am asking all these silly questions is here is what my code is doing:

1) setting the Title text of the Window
    2) remove all entries from the result list
    3) reading the file system
    4) create a new list

What I understand from your observation digitalb0y is, that the "new" Title will be set from Dir: '/' to Dir: 'system/' but then already the list will not be cleared...

OR

it will be cleared, but the application is reading again the same content from the "system" folder, that was already read as "roots"...

Actually I do not see any reason, why the code should cause a behaviour like you described earlier... When there is a problem with reading the "system" folder, then I would expect, that the Title will be set, the list will be cleared and then will not be filled again [cause while reading of the folder fails for what ever reason]... And since I assume opening "SDCard" or "store" will work smooth like silk, there is no reason to believe, that clearing the items from the list could be any problem...

Might be that the list is cleared - but the screen does not get updated...

this is really strange - be so kind and PM me your eMail address - so I can send you additional FileScout builds for some tests...
    Last edited by emacf1; 10-09-09 at 03:53 AM.
    10-09-09 03:45 AM
    just as short update - in the meantime I have a Phone Simulator running with a OS 5.0.0.7 -> and there the system folder will be listed as expected: works rock solid - so again that's an issue, that only occurs an a real device...

Something I would like to know from OS 5 Users: OS5 comes with an own File Application - does this App shows you the System folder and it's content?
    Last edited by emacf1; 10-10-09 at 04:39 AM.
    10-10-09 01:58 AM
    some sort of good news - finally I have understood my own code again

finally I am able to understand, what is going on - and the behaviour you have described is reasonable... I "think" I have found something, that might could make the system folder readable again - if that does not work there will be at least a message, that the folder could not be read... now I have to wait for feedback from OS 5.x users.
    10-10-09 04:17 AM
    Thanks Matthias!

It seems you pinpointed the problem. I now get your error message instead of the endless title loop. And your guess seems to be correct about RIM locking down viewing access to the System directory in OS 5. It's not available from the built-in file browser either.

I'd have no problem with this since it's probably a lot more secure that way, but it's too bad they insist on making so many extras so difficult to delete. 128MB is small for a system volume to begin with, so I don't really need BBFileScout to do much moving and copying TO the System volume, but it sure was a handy tool for getting stuff OFF of the system volume for maximizing usable resources. Now it looks like our only option for removing extraneous stuff will be to connect the 'Berry to a computer and pare it down with CrackMem, CrackUtil, BBSAK, etc.

...That is unless you've still some wizardry up your sleeve!
    10-10-09 05:40 AM
    Home page doesnt have Zip file containing Alx and cod file. I want to do a desktop installation.

Regards,

Rana
    10-10-09 06:12 AM
    Home page doesnt have Zip file containing Alx and cod file. I want to do a desktop installation.
    This might change again when people have understood the concept of Donationware... as alternative you can get it from AppWorld...
    Last edited by emacf1; 10-10-09 at 06:48 AM.
    10-10-09 06:37 AM
    It seems you pinpointed the problem. I now get your error message instead of the endless title loop. And your guess seems to be correct about RIM locking down viewing access to the System directory in OS 5. It's not available from the built-in file browser either.
    Well it's quite sad, that RIM have decided to completely block the access to this folder in the API - IMHO it's my device and I should be allowed to decide what is in the filesystem and what is not... but well right now I am not forced to use the 5.0 - of course it looks nicer - but since my Storm already struggles with the 4.7 OS from time to time (being slow) I just can assume that the extra effects will eat more CPU power - but i do not want to start and "which OS is better" discussion now...

I hope even without access to the System folder FileScout remains a useful tool for everybody - Probably there have been plenty more folders that are completely hidden in the past to which we never had access...

...That is unless you've still some wizardry up your sleeve!
    Right now I don't think so... in the API there is a function that give you a list of all files in a folder... In the case of the system folder on the OS5 this method does not return a list at all [in the past I had the case, that simply an empty list was returned - but this is not the case here]. So I do not have any clue what else can I do... I am sorry but this looks like a dead end.

Matthias
    10-10-09 06:45 AM
    FileScout release of 1.3.1.0
    This is an update only for OS5.x Users - for other OS Versions this new FileScout Version is not needed at all - that's also the reason why I do not make a big announcement (via the mailing list)

What's fixed?
    • OS 5.x ONLY: Endless loop for system folder fixed - Unfortunately in OS 5.x it's not possible anymore to access the system folder via the file system API. With this Version FileScout will display an error message when the API does not return any content for a folder. This also means that FileScout can't be used to delete pre-installed files located in the subfolders of 'system' for devices that have installed OS 5.x.

Please be so kind and next time when you have problems with a new OS/release and FileScout then send me instantly a PM or eMail... TIA

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the FileScout Homepage

Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 10-10-09 at 07:41 AM.
    10-10-09 07:38 AM
    checking for updates in the filscout menu doesnt work on os 5.0
    10-10-09 10:19 AM
    checking for updates in the FileScout menu doesnt work on os 5.0
    Do you have any additional information? - I mean, does not happen anything at all - does the browser open but nothing additional happens - are the app access rights configured correctly -> and finally is there any information in the Log?
    10-10-09 10:30 AM
    if i click on "check for updates" the bb menu shows up /switch application and full menu shows up
    10-10-09 12:24 PM
    if i click on "check for updates" the bb menu shows up /switch application and full menu shows up
    So selecting the "check for updates..." Item from the list will cause the "context menu" to appear??? -> that should happen, when you press the #Menu Button - but not when you hit ENTER once the item is selected... that is a really wired behaviour Are there other OS 5.x users that can confirm this?
    10-10-09 12:46 PM
    So selecting the "check for updates..." Item from the list will cause the "context menu" to appear??? -> that should happen, when you press the #Menu Button - but not when you hit ENTER once the item is selected... that is a really wired behaviour Are there other OS 5.x users that can confirm this?
    yes that is happening. really strange...
    can soneone else confirm this glitch
    10-10-09 02:39 PM
    I can also confirm this I'm running .238. It pulls up the context menu. Also does that mean I can't change my folder icons any more if I'm running 5.0?

Thanks
    10-10-09 07:24 PM
    yes that is happening. really strange...
    can soneone else confirm this glitch
    Same is happening with mine. I'm using OS 5.0.0.230
    10-10-09 08:47 PM
    To narrow down a little bit the cause of this issue can you please:

1) go to "File association options"
    2) Enable the "Open HTML with BlackBerry default Browsers"
    3) You need ANY html file that is stored on the SDcard
    (if you do not have a html file on your SDCard - please be so kind and store one or two on the card - e.g. by using the DesktopManager)

So then go in FileScout to the folder in which the html files are located and open it -> will now the BlackBerry browser be opened (or will now also the context menu appear) ? What happens, if you disable the "Open HTML with BlackBerry default Browsers" again ?
    Last edited by emacf1; 10-11-09 at 03:42 AM.
    10-11-09 03:39 AM
521 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD