I haven't seen this trick to getting the icon to update posted yet.

1. In portrait mode, change the number of rows of home screen icons and save BB button->options. If you had 1, change to 2, it doesn't matter, just change it.
    2. It will now update until the next bat pull/reset event.
    3. Go back into the options screen and change the number of rows back to what you originally had. The icon will continue to update just fine.

I went from 1 row to 2 rows, then back to 1 row, and it works like a charm.
    09-26-09 03:40 PM
    Bump for great find. Hope it works.
    09-26-09 05:02 PM
    doesn't work for weatherbug.
    09-26-09 05:25 PM
    Worked for me and its so much easier than what I had to do. HUGE tip, thanks.....
    09-26-09 05:47 PM
    didnt work for me either i have weatherbug also.
    09-26-09 06:02 PM
    This tip was specifically for Berryweather. I can't speak to weatherbug, I don't have it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 08:32 PM
    Did not work for weatherbug while running a theme....

Is the Berryweather free? Do you get it in App world?

Can you put a direct link to download it in this thread please.
    09-26-09 08:36 PM
    didnt work for me running a theme and simpleweather either
    09-26-09 09:57 PM
    I have BerryWeather and while this "trick" does make the icon update... it only updates the icon to the current weather. I did this yesterday, and it still shows the "partly cloudy" icon instead of the "fog/mist" icon that it should be showing.
    Nice idea, but I don't think this is a permanent fix. You can do the same thing by moving the app to another folder, then back.
    09-26-09 10:38 PM
    I just move the icon and then move it back to where it was and that works for me using SimpleWeather......
    09-26-09 11:05 PM
    I have BerryWeather and while this "trick" does make the icon update... it only updates the icon to the current weather. I did this yesterday, and it still shows the "partly cloudy" icon instead of the "fog/mist" icon that it should be showing.
    Nice idea, but I don't think this is a permanent fix. You can do the same thing by moving the app to another folder, then back.
    Actually, you don't even have to move it to another folder and back, you just need to move it at all, even one icon spot is enough. I just move it over on the same row on my homescreen and it works until the next battery pull. Then I just move it back one spot on the same row. One move - that's all you need!

As to it not updating the icon, just the temp, I hadn't noticed that until you just mentioned it. If I go to the full menu screen, it shows the correct icon, but you are right that on the home screen the icon hasn't changed.... weird.
    09-26-09 11:07 PM
    As to it not updating the icon, just the temp, I hadn't noticed that until you just mentioned it. If I go to the full menu screen, it shows the correct icon, but you are right that on the home screen the icon hasn't changed.... weird.
    Same here too.......
    09-26-09 11:20 PM
    I use bbweather with the default icon so as not to worry about changing/not changing but have the text read temp/conditions and that changes fine. So I can glance at it and see temp/conditions at least.

09-27-09 04:47 AM
    The 5.0 developer tools have been out for a week or two, so hopefully all this will be for naught very shortly. 5.0 adds so much to the UI and user experience to begin with, I am really hoping that the developers will make full use of it to give us some real nice ugrades.

Edit - Beta came out 5/28/09, Beta v.3 on 9/20. So no official, but hopefully the Betas are enough(?)
    Last edited by 1magine; 09-27-09 at 06:51 AM.
    09-27-09 06:48 AM
    It worked for me, i'm using weathereye
    09-27-09 12:55 PM
    It doesn't work for me
    No better then any other weather program
    Icon updates when u change rows but not on its own

09-27-09 02:13 PM
    I just move the icon and then move it back to where it was and that works for me using SimpleWeather......
    nice find!! that worked for me....and also got my simplebattery working
    10-01-09 09:49 AM
    Doesnt work for me. Same thing it will now show a temperature but it is not current and will not update by itself. Using BBweather.
    10-01-09 10:22 AM
    I rely on my weather app so much that even if the home screen icon isn't updating (I use WeatherBug) I open it up, wait for the GPS to locate me, and see the updated weather information.

I would just like to mention that I primarily use this app when at work or at home. At work and at home, I sit no more than one foot away from a window.
    10-01-09 10:30 AM
    I rely on my weather app so much that even if the home screen icon isn't updating (I use WeatherBug) I open it up, wait for the GPS to locate me, and see the updated weather information.

I would just like to mention that I primarily use this app when at work or at home. At work and at home, I sit no more than one foot away from a window.
    HA nice, true that. Personally when I'm not driving my car I ride a motorcycle and it is nice to know if I'm gonna get rained on or not. And the obvious answer is I can just open up the weather application and find out, but my OCD compells me to have everything working properly on the phone which is why I can't stand it when the dam n thing wont update on the homescreen HAHA..
    10-01-09 10:42 AM
    HA nice, true that. Personally when I'm not driving my car I ride a motorcycle and it is nice to know if I'm gonna get rained on or not. And the obvious answer is I can just open up the weather application and find out, but my OCD compells me to have everything working properly on the phone which is why I can't stand it when the dam n thing wont update on the homescreen HAHA..
    I feel you. I ride MORE than I drive. Keeping up with weather conditions is a must for motorcyclist. I also HAVE OCD and need my stuff to work. Since I've upgraded to 5.0, I've had to go without a Weather app because none of them work 100% right (I'm also going without Vlingo too).

Come on RIM or ANY BB Weather App developer . . give us a Weather App that updates the home screen that works on 5.0 (BBweather, weatherbug, weatherye . . someone)
    10-01-09 12:35 PM
    This seems to have worked for me using SimpleWeather.
    10-01-09 06:03 PM
    I have found that the home screen icon will update itself. The temperature badge is whats not updating. just go into berryweather settings and uncheck " show temperature badge on homescreen icon" under homescreen icon u will see " format" set it to Temp + Condition, home screen icon will display temp + whatever the current condition is
    10-01-09 06:06 PM
    I use bbweather with the default icon so as not to worry about changing/not changing but have the text read temp/conditions and that changes fine. So I can glance at it and see temp/conditions at least.

jax, on bbweather, can you set up multiple locations? if not, how do you look up weather for other locations?
    10-13-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD