Hi all,
    I got an unlocked T-Mobile 9700 and brought to Saudi Arabia. I'm currently subscribing to STC BB data plan.
    BB messenger and Windows live work but browser & other web apps won't. What could the problem be? How come BB messenger works?

Thanks all,
    kattansf
    01-21-10 02:55 PM
    if the bb browser doesnt work it may be something to do with configuration. are you able to download opera mini, and if so does it work?
    01-21-10 02:57 PM
    It's T-Mobile branded? Can you make calls ok? Do you have a browser icon? If so what does it say when you try to use it?
    01-21-10 03:01 PM
    yes it's T-Mobile branded and yes I can make call since I'm using a local Saudi SIM card and BB plan.

I'm trying to download Opera now.
    BTW, even FaceBook app doesn't work.
    01-21-10 03:04 PM
    just downloaded Opera Mini 5 beta and error I got was: Connection Faild. Unable to connect. Please review your network settings.

This is more or less the same error I get with FB app and all other web apps.
    What's driving me crazy is why would BB messenger and Windows Live work but not other apps????

Any one?
    01-21-10 04:05 PM
    sounds like you need the apn settings from the carrier
    01-21-10 04:10 PM
    sounds like you need the apn settings from the carrier
    can you please explain in simple English :-) I'm new to all of this.
    01-21-10 04:25 PM
    can you please explain in simple English :-) I'm new to all of this.
    you need to call your carrier and get the apn settings then enter the settings into options>advanced options> tcp/ip
    01-21-10 04:32 PM
    why was this thread moved to third party blackberry apps... it has nothing to do with third party apps
    01-21-10 04:59 PM
    Moved to Other Carriers Worldwide. Sounds like he needs the service books for his SA carrier.
    01-21-10 08:02 PM
    Go to options>advanced options> tcp/ip and enter jawalnet.com.sa

save, and reboot
    01-21-10 09:01 PM
    Let us know if that worked.
    01-21-10 09:41 PM
    Go to options>advanced options> tcp/ip and enter jawalnet.com.sa

save, and reboot
    did it...... still not working

when I go to serivce status I get the following:
    BlackBerry Internet service connection: not connected. <---- shouldn't this be '' connected '' ???
    01-23-10 03:33 PM
    Moved to Other Carriers Worldwide. Sounds like he needs the service books for his SA carrier.
    how can I get it?
    01-23-10 03:35 PM
    by the way, I have just upgraded to the latest OS and got an message from T-mobile!!!? it said, Thank you for purchasing your BB device from T-Mobile. Your new...........
    (I have a Saudi SIM card) + the APN got back to t-mobile's. Is this normal?

How come BB me messenger and Windows Live Messenger work? but not other web devices? do they use a direct BB APN?

Can we use teh BB messenger w/o a data plan from our providers?
    01-23-10 05:34 PM
    Yes most use direct bb service books from bb data plan
    01-23-10 05:39 PM
    by the way, I have just upgraded to the latest OS and got an message from T-mobile!!!? it said, Thank you for purchasing your BB device from T-Mobile. Your new...........
    (I have a Saudi SIM card) + the APN got back to t-mobile's. Is this normal?

How come BB me messenger and Windows Live Messenger work? but not other web devices? do they use a direct BB APN?

Can we use teh BB messenger w/o a data plan from our providers?
    Sounds like bad APN settings or missing service books. Do you have a BIS account with that provider?
    01-24-10 12:22 AM
    Y'all have to understand, STC (Saudi Telecom) is in its infancy when it comes to the Blackberry Service. I've been in Saudi Arabia for almost a year, and they didn't start BIS until May. With a new system and plenty of language barriers, it has been very slow coming.

The OP needs to confirm that the brower is set to Jawal and not HotSpot.
    Then he needs to setup an email account with STC (using their BB email or GMail or something) which will send the proper service books he needs.

Opera Mini will NOT WORK in the Kingdom either. The only browser that will work, is the one provided by STC with the appropriate service books sent to the phone.

Now about the apps, in my experience only the Apps released by Blackberry will work properly. And I'm referring to the Instant Messengers (BBM, Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, MSNMessenger). Why is this?? Kingdom City information network which controls the internet censorship hasn't totally trusted the BIS network. This is up to the KSA government.

Facebook will work, but ONLY VERSION 1.6. 1.7 WILL NOT WORK.
    Blackberry App world, WILL NOT WORK (and this is per Blackberry). If app world doesn't work, I'd be willing to bet that any app downloaded and requires BIS access won't work either. The message you get is "Data not available". The Status screen doesn't say you are connected to BIS, even though you have data access (send/receive emails and IMs).

There ya have it. I'm sure STC in the future will attempt to get BIS working properly, but I wouldn't plan on it. The CSRs don't seem interested in learning it, and when you do call, they usually say "System Down". Which isn't necessarily true. But it gets you off the phone. KSA isn't like other counties when it comes to customer service, trust me 100% on that. Calling up CSRs and asking for them to resend your service books is a waste of time. They will always say "I don't know how to do that", or you get hung up on.

Very few outages have happened here with BIS, but it does occasionally happen. And you can't complain about BIS for SAR99($26/month) and 1GB of download (you'll never use that unless you tether).

If anybody needs proper setting for tethering with STC or proper phone settings (APN etc), just shoot me a PM.
    02-27-10 10:05 AM
    Hey man maybe u can help me. I'm using a bold 9700 in saudi and opera mini has been working fine till the other day! Any idea what's up with that? pin:21DB8A19

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 10:06 PM
    Sounds like you carrier blocked those data connections. First step would be to contact your carrier.

05-06-10 10:08 PM
    Hey man maybe u can help me. I'm using a bold 9700 in saudi and opera mini has been working fine till the other day! Any idea what's up with that? pin:21DB8A19

What error are you getting?
    05-07-10 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD