If I and a friend use BB Messenger to IM each other while we're both in Canada, will there be roaming charges?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed 'ad nauseum' before, but I'm not finding this exact scenario in the forums I've been searching through. I'm going to Ontario this Thursday-Sunday and really would like to get the skinny on this. It's never been an issue for me until now.
    05-19-09 12:43 PM
    Its my understanding that as long as you both have a data plan with your respective carriers, you will not be billed for your bb messenging.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 01:09 PM
    In theory if you are not in your home country and your carrier charges for roaming... BBM uses data to transmit data, so in theory you will both be charged for roaming for sending/receiving data. Best to call your carrier and ask them, or ask if they have any roaming add on options.
    05-19-09 01:10 PM
    i would say yes, im from canada and ive gone to many sporting events in buffalo and detroit and when i text my buddies that are at the game with me, ive always been charged extra for the texting, i realize bbm uses data but i would guess its the same theory
    05-19-09 01:30 PM
    The op and her friend are both in Canada, as am I. I bb message a guy in California all the time and have never been charged roaming. Regular texts may incur roaming, but blackberry messenger texts should not. (Again, IF you both have a data plan)

05-19-09 01:52 PM
    The op and her friend are both in Canada, as am I. I bb message a guy in California all the time and have never been charged roaming. Regular texts may incur roaming, but blackberry messenger texts should not. (Again, IF you both have a data plan)

They'll both be in Canada. I dont think they're from Canada as her profile says NY. Im guessing they're taking a trip and want to be able to BBM each other.
    05-19-09 01:57 PM

I see you have Telus, isn't that a Canadian carrier? If your contract is based in Canada, then messaging your friend in the US isn't exactly the same scenario - I wouldn't expect that you OR he would be charged because you are both IMing from your home base.

My friend and I would both be *away* from our home base however. If life were fair, I would say that IMing on a BB with another BB via Messenger shouldn't have charges applied no matter where you are....that's how it would work with a home PC, right!?

Oh well....thx for all the input. I guess I'll give a Verizon CSR a shot and see what they say.
    05-19-09 02:02 PM
    They'll both be in Canada. I dont think they're from Canada as her profile says NY. Im guessing they're taking a trip and want to be able to BBM each other.
    Exactly.

EDIT: Oh, and LOVE your avatar BTW Roscoe....
    05-19-09 02:03 PM
    Thanks And good luck. Chances are there will be roaming charges for data
    05-19-09 02:06 PM
    Actually my friend in the USA is American, with an American carrier. I missed the words "will be in Canada" , my bad.

05-19-09 02:31 PM
    To be safe and not incur roaming charges in any event, why don't you set your BB to "no roaming"?
    05-20-09 05:40 AM
    To be safe and not incur roaming charges in any event, why don't you set your BB to "no roaming"?
    ...How do I do that?

And I called a CSR from Verizon - she said there *would* be a charge, although she couldn't decide if it would be a text or data charge. She said I would need the "global" plan in order to not be charged for messenger services out of the country (or any other service for that matter).

(shrug)....

Anyway, I just didn't text or IM my friend, altho it woulda come in handy a couple times.
    05-26-09 05:38 PM
    Bbm is data so it would've been a data charge .. I don't know how much verizon charges for data roaming but with Rogers it's cheaper for me to use bbm while I'm in the US than send text messages at 60cents/msg =(

05-26-09 08:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD