could anyone tell me which is better blackberry maps or google maps.Have any of them got better features than the other
    07-20-10 11:39 AM
    No contest really... Google Maps has waaaaaay more features than BB Maps, and it gets updated regularly.

The satellite view alone in Google Maps is a winner for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-10 11:46 AM
    GoogleMaps. Period.
    07-20-10 11:57 AM
    thanks it looks like i will be downloading goole maps then. Also is there any good sat nav apps for bold 9700 and what sort of price am i looking at
    07-20-10 12:10 PM
    Google Maps is tops,its also easier to use.
    07-20-10 12:11 PM
    Google Maps, better interface and features.
    07-20-10 12:34 PM
    i say google maps
    07-20-10 12:41 PM
    thanks it looks like i will be downloading goole maps then. Also is there any good sat nav apps for bold 9700 and what sort of price am i looking at
    Well, with Google Maps, you can get the Sat Nav, just not with on screen or spoken turn by turn directions.

It's pretty much like getting directions on Google Maps online, but you get to see yourself as a little blue arrow following the the line on the map.

If you want to pay for an app to get that spoken turn by turn, I would say go with the Garmin.

But, Google has already put the spoken Turn by turn into the Android version of Google maps, so I'm holding out that they will eventually bless us BB users with it to.
    07-20-10 12:42 PM
    i did think google maps would be better. And if they add turn by turn it would be the best
    07-20-10 12:52 PM
    could anyone tell me which is better blackberry maps or google maps.Have any of them got better features than the other
    i'll offer a different prospective as sometimes google maps gives incorrect directions. for example, it led me to a dead end street that continued over railroad tracks where bb maps had a more accurate route. in other instances, google maps has led me to side roads to exit on and off the interstate where staying on the interstate should have been done. i use google maps and bb maps as a back up if i feel like the directions may be off. bing also offers directions but i have not really used bing
    07-20-10 03:59 PM
    i did think google maps would be better. And if they add turn by turn it would be the best
    I agree. If they add turn by turn voice navigation I will ditch VZNav.
    07-20-10 06:09 PM
    Yea, Google maps is way better. I do like the fact that BB maps tells you your speed, direction and how many sats you are hitting though. If google maps had that, I would uninstall BB maps.
    07-20-10 06:24 PM
    I'll still be keeping BB Maps on my device. Here are some features that I will compare in regards to BB Maps & Google Maps.

Features available in BB Maps.

Quickly map a contact from your address book:
    Menu > Find Location> Begin typing the name of someone in your BB Address Book. It will begin to filter your address book as you type. Once you find the contact you're looking for, highlight it, and click on it. It will quickly map the address and allow you to navigate to the address.
    I haven't found a way to do this within the Google Maps app. With Google Maps I have to go to my address book > highlight or open the contact > Menu > Show in Google Maps <or> Get directions with Google...

Share your location or any address you map:
    Menu > Send Location.
    You can then send the location to Facebook, Email, PIN, MMS, Group Message, BB Messenger, and Twitter.
    With Google Maps you can only send a location using Google Maps only by Text Message or Email.

Access Favorites using Layers:
    They both have the option of using Layers to access your favorites.
    Google Maps: Menu > Layers > More Layers > My Maps > My Saved Places.
    <or> Menu > Starred Items
    You also have to create an account and make sure that you're signed in with Google Maps.
    BB Maps: Menu > Layers > Scroll down to Favorites and Expand

There both good. Google Maps has more overall features, but BB Maps can be used to quickly find and send a location. BB Maps tends to find my GPS location faster than Google Maps. Google Maps will take a longer. When it does find my location it within 3100 meters. I have to keep pressing the "0" key on my keypad to keep refreshing it. Eventually it will get down to 7 or 8 meters.
    Last edited by cdf3; 07-20-10 at 06:58 PM.
    07-20-10 06:52 PM
    I like BB maps. I use it often to map directions and then navigates to where I'm going. It also gives you your speed.
    07-20-10 10:59 PM
    Both have their merits. I usually (between the two) end up defaulting to BB Maps due to its faster startup, seemingly faster GPS acquisition and overall responsiveness of the application. FYI, I usually navigate using either AT&T Navigator 2.0 a.k.a TeleNav 6.0 (superior features and enhanced menu navigation), or Garmin Mobile 5.4.5 (excellent Google local search results with a superior navigation look and feel). I also have AT&T Maps (fast mapping, excellent street name details, though POI listings are not as complete as those found in Google Maps) and BlackBerry Traffic (shows great promise with very fast startup and GPS acquisition) installed. Six navigation and mapping applications in all, not including VZ Navigator (useful carousel, handy map tray, cumbersome UI, comprehensive Bing search results, menu navigation reminiscent of BB Maps) on my work device. And of those seven, Google Maps happens to be the least used due to its comparatively slow mapping.
    Last edited by adamlau; 07-21-10 at 06:43 AM.
    07-21-10 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD