I'm really torn between blackberry and android..
    Love the qwerty on a blackberry, it's great for texting but really i think i'm just looking for versatility more than anything. However I've heard that blackberry apps are few and far between. should I just miss out the lovely qwerty and edge for a droid?
    any blackberry users out there who love their apps?

Basically I want a phone with a decent camera, around 5mp+
    Good apps
    qwerty keyboard (negligable - and no not the htc cha cha)
    fast processer

so confused... please help meee!
    09-30-11 05:56 PM
    I just left Android for the BB 9930 and there are huge differences. If you want a more productive device than BB is the way to go. If you want apps and speed then android is the way.
    I find the physical keyboard easier to type on plus the size of the fonts can be enlarged on a BB. The biggest plus is the navigation around the device is much faster on the BB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    greeneink likes this.
    09-30-11 06:03 PM
    I just left Android for the BB 9930 and there are huge differences. If you want a more productive device than BB is the way to go. If you want apps and speed then android is the way.
    I find the physical keyboard easier to type on plus the size of the fonts can be enlarged on a BB. The biggest plus is the navigation around the device is much faster on the BB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    how are the apps? still want to be able to mess around a bit, however i do have an ipod touch so i can play games offline etc. I facebook and twitter lots so are they good for that?
    09-30-11 06:07 PM
    how are the apps? still want to be able to mess around a bit, however i do have an ipod touch so i can play games offline etc. I facebook and twitter lots so are they good for that?
    android has over 250,000 apps in the market, tons of facebook and twitter options, free turn by turn navigation is also a plus.
    09-30-11 06:54 PM
    Why don't you look at appworld and see what is there?
    09-30-11 07:28 PM
    I'm really torn between blackberry and android..
    Love the qwerty on a blackberry, it's great for texting but really i think i'm just looking for versatility more than anything. However I've heard that blackberry apps are few and far between. should I just miss out the lovely qwerty and edge for a droid?
    any blackberry users out there who love their apps?

Basically I want a phone with a decent camera, around 5mp+
    Good apps
    qwerty keyboard (negligable - and no not the htc cha cha)
    fast processer

so confused... please help meee!
    I am in a similar predicament. If I could afford it, no question I'd get a Bold 9900, but I can't, I'm limited to pay as you go smartphones through Boost Mobile and Virgin...really cheap. So that limits me to a Curve 8530/Style 9670. I hate typing on Droid phones, but the web on the BB's is very slow. Solution for me might just be a low end Droid with a physical keyboard.
    09-30-11 10:13 PM
    I am in a similar predicament. If I could afford it, no question I'd get a Bold 9900, but I can't, I'm limited to pay as you go smartphones through Boost Mobile and Virgin...really cheap. So that limits me to a Curve 8530/Style 9670. I hate typing on Droid phones, but the web on the BB's is very slow. Solution for me might just be a low end Droid with a physical keyboard.
    The Opera Mini browser is considerably faster than the stock browser. Especially on the OS5 BlackBerries like the 8530.

As far as other apps go, there are plenty of apps in appworld. To say that BB doesn't have apps is an understatement.

Granted the numbers are less than Android but I have always found an app for whatever I needed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 10:46 PM
    try an andriod for a few weeks. Then return it for a new blackberry. Give thyba try and you will forget about android. The option of having that many apps only is satisfying for a short bit. Having a fast and efficient phone won't wear off.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-30-11 11:29 PM
    unless you truly need Angry Birds i fail to see what you are missing on a BB. besides with AB being playable on Chrome or Firefox on your usual computer i do not *need* it in a phone anymore. it is cooler to play on a 15" monitor in full HD

the only use i have for Android is on my Archos which has a free MP3 download app that is not available anywhere else BUT Android. i link it to my netbook and sync the music downloaded to the Archos to my BlackBerry via simple copy/paste. easiest way to get music that i know of

Android 2.2 is a neat looking little OS, but unless you favor eye candy and fancy 3-D i do not know what else could be lacking. that is really all Android has that BlackBerry doesn't. but of course i like having it simple and not so showy. which is why i am still a OS 5 guy. however, the fancy stuff in Android has managed to surpass the iPhone and even Otter Box has no option for BlackBerry here at least in town. everything is iPhone or Android
    Last edited by nickdalzell1; 09-30-11 at 11:49 PM.
    09-30-11 11:45 PM
    Have you tried the HTC Cha Cha? It looks ok, was looking at that phone for a while however the android experience is apparently next to nothing with the creaky processor and the smallish screen.. In my case that aint too good for me because I will go nuts on apps.. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    10-02-11 11:16 AM
    Yup, try one of the better Android phones (dualcore for a better battery life) for a week or two, and see how you like it. You have two weeks to return it, if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

What most people have found when switching, is that they actually don't need the keyboard, and that a touch screen keyboard fits them just fine. If that's not the case however, there's some good alternative . Samsung Galaxy is coming in a version with keyboard, LG also have a flagship with keyboard. And lastly there's HTC Desire Z or HTC My touch $G that are also awesome phones with a built in keyboard.
    10-02-11 01:14 PM
    Which apps? If you just mean apps in general as in, you like installing and messing with apps then BlackBerry does not have near the apps. But it has all the ones that I need and care to use.

But if you mean certain apps, check appworld here:

BlackBerry App World - Free BlackBerry Apps - Official Store
    10-02-11 01:18 PM
    I would definitely take a look at App World and see what apps are available. You may find that there are plenty of apps. Of course, if you are mainly looking for games (like Angry Birds), you'll have better luck with other platforms. Most of the popular apps are available on BB. Facebook, Youtube, Foursquare, Poynt, chat apps (PingChat, LiveProfile, Google Talk, AIM...), Vlingo, Drivesafe.ly, and many more are all available.

It helps if you know what you want to do with your device, then look to see if the apps you want are available.
    10-02-11 03:20 PM
    the only thing missing is Angry Birds from my end. Pandora, Google Talk, Facebook, Twitter and the like are all there. and it may just take awhile (and perhaps something more powerful than a Curve 8530) for apps to become available. RIM seems to wait a bit longer, something i am used to myself, i live in a town that doesn't have the latest and greatest until two-three years later. the Bold and the first Torch seem the newest BB offerings here.

some apps are device-specific. i cannot use Android Player but the Playbook can. so you may have to find the proper BlackBerry for your needs.
    Last edited by nickdalzell1; 10-02-11 at 04:34 PM.
    10-02-11 04:31 PM
    the only thing missing is Angry Birds from my end. Pandora, Google Talk, Facebook, Twitter and the like are all there. and it may just take awhile (and perhaps something more powerful than a Curve 8530) for apps to become available. RIM seems to wait a bit longer, something i am used to myself, i live in a town that doesn't have the latest and greatest until two-three years later. the Bold and the first Torch seem the newest BB offerings here.

some apps are device-specific. i cannot use Android Player but the Playbook can. so you may have to find the proper BlackBerry for your needs.
    I seriously doubt BB users will ever see AB for BB. I'd go out on a limb and say that 90% of the new apps released are for iOS or Droid only. My bank released an Apple app and a Droid app. Victoria's Secret released an iOS and Droid app. The hospital I work at has an iOS app. Even all the IT guys here carry iPhones.

The one app I use daily is Sirius/XM player and SXM hasn't updated that app since OS5. Won't work on OS6 or OS7 devices and I doubt they update it. I emailed customer support and was basically told to get an iPhone or Droid as those platforms are supported.

BB users just don't get any app love.
    10-03-11 09:08 AM
    There are quite a few things that I can do (personal and business-wise) on my Android device that I can't do on a BlackBerry. Some if it is hardware related, and some is app-related functionality.

Having said that, there are a HOST of apps on BB that are very functional. I will go as far as saying that I when I was a BB user, I was able to find every app I needed (or, at the very least, good alternatives).
    10-03-11 09:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD