I know there are so many whining threads on this topic but this isn't one, this is just my view on this, and this thread also isn't intended to provoke acts like bashing keyboards by people sensitive to this topic.

People use programs such as QuickLaunch and battery pull and weather bug or whatever they are to argue BB is full of goodies, while BB is a good PHONE, but all the "good" apps people list to me should be more or less a standard rather than a paid upgrade.

I think most of the people haven't yet realized that if windows never had Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up task manager and you pay 20 dollars for a program that gives you this feature, of course it is good, but this should be more of a STANDARD/REQUIREMENT, so in essence applications like this should never be considered good. (Though if windows had this original feature then it should be considered good as part of windows).

when Windows first came out it was good because it offers a lot of more "REAL" personalizations such as games music plus office productive programs. It later was bad because comp sci geeks would go argue how crap its security is and the codings and they opt for linux.

Iphone is pretty much like windows, crappy security and professional needs but really really straight forward and fun for their apps.

BB is good as a phone but I don't ever wanna hear people brag about its apps (which you have to pay for every single one and by the end of the day to get what you want you should reconsider your bill) since they should came with the dam OS as standards.
    04-16-10 04:19 PM
    You have this backwards. BB is like windows, Anyone can download and install any apps they see fit, where as the iphone is a closed environment with apps being approved/denied at the whim of someone @ apple, And if you want to install apps that aren't "Approved" by apple you have to jailbreak the "phone", which if apple had its way would be illegal.

What apps do you think should come standard? Spreadsheets? Word? They do come standard now, yes you have to upgrade to get more out of it. But do you get the full office package when you buy a new computer? Or did you get a trial version that lasted 60days and you had to pay out the nose to keep using it, unless you just "had" a copy laying around.
    Last edited by rdyoung; 04-16-10 at 04:30 PM.
    04-16-10 04:27 PM
    you have this backwards. Bb is like windows, anyone can download and install any apps they see fit, where as the iphone is a closed environment with apps being approved/denied at the whim of someone @ apple, and if you want to install apps that aren't "approved" by apple you have to jailbreak the "phone", which if apple had its way would be illegal.
    bingo!!!!!!!
    04-16-10 04:29 PM
    so you are saying the Apps available at app world don't first get approved by BB first? If they disapprove, there is no way to jail break a BB and get them, period.
    and please, that is not my focus on this discussion, this discussion isn't about windows nor iphone, its about BB apps.
    so you are saying the Apps available at app world don't first get approved by BB first? If they disapprove, there is no way to jail break a BB and get them, period.
    Of course they have their own approval process, But appworld isnt your only choice for apps. Crackberry has an appstore, magmic games, handango, etc. Oh and guess what I else I can do? I can email myself an app and install it, Or I can host it via a portable webserver and download and install it at my own discretion, Or better yet, share it with whoever I please.

Please tell me where I can download and install iphone apps if I have a phone that isnt jailbroken?
    04-16-10 04:32 PM
    you are still missing the point, this again is not about ways you can install or what you can install on your BB, namely apps.
    The apps suck and the most praised ones should come as standards on the phone, that is my point.

Oh and guess what I else I can do? I can email myself an app and install it, Or I can host it via a portable webserver and download and install it at my own discretion, Or better yet, share it with whoever I please.

Please tell me where I can download and install iphone apps if I have a phone that isnt jailbroken?
    I am not an iphone fan, as i said, this isnt about iphone, i used that as an example. plus, I have yet to see ANYONE benefit from a feature like that, that may be appealing on a corporate basis but on an individual basis, its no more than a useless feature to me.

but please, again, i want this thread to focus on the point
    Last edited by new_to_BB; 04-16-10 at 04:38 PM.
    04-16-10 04:34 PM
    you are still missing the point, this again is not about ways you can install or what you can install on your BB, namely apps.
    The apps suck and the most praised ones should come as standards on the phone, that is my point.
    Then answer my last question? What should come standard?
    04-16-10 04:36 PM

I am not an iphone fan, as i said, this isnt about iphone, i used that as an example. plus, I have yet to see ANYONE benefit from a feature like that, that may appeal on a corporate basis but on an individual basis, its no more than a useless feature to me.

but please, again, i want this thread to focus on the point
    You opened this debate by directly comparing iphone and BB to windows. An argument that is flawed at best and flat out ridiculous at worst. I am informing you of the truth of the environment in which BB operates. If an app doesn't get approved by rims appworld, I can still download and install it, either from another appstore or directly from the creator.
    04-16-10 04:40 PM
    Battery pull, weather bug, certain themes that has hidden weather hidden today w/e it is, quicklaunch definitely, these are the most praised ones. Name more praised apps and I will tell you my opinion about them.

compared BB to linux* << and my comparison is only in the most basic, reference sense, just to make it clear.
    Last edited by new_to_BB; 04-16-10 at 04:45 PM.
    04-16-10 04:41 PM
    Battery pull, weather bug, certain themes that has hidden weather hidden today w/e it is, quicklaunch definitely, these are the most praised ones. Name more praised apps and I will tell you my opinion about them.
    To use another argument you brought up. Windows CTRL-Alt-Del, BB has the equivalent. Alt-Shft-Del.

You have at least 2 quicklaunch buttons on the phone itself, I currently have mine set to open my email and the camera. Maybe in the future rim will provide more themes standard, But why is that so important as a standard from factory feature? When you bought your last pc/mac did you get a ton off add on software free? Software that wasn't bloatware to pad the pocket of the manufacturer?

RIM has been buying up the companies that produce some of the best apps for BB, Viigo is the most recent I know of, I wouldn't be surprised if in future releases this comes as standard.
    04-16-10 04:45 PM
    I agree. While what should be standard on a BB is subjective, I think what the OP is saying is out of the box, the BB OS lacks functions that could make it much more customizable or even user-friendly. This has been discussed over and over in countless threads about the OS, but the issue IMO, is the same. The BB OS lacks the bells and whistles to make it even more convenient.

To add to the OP's list, why can't we have an alarm clock with more than one alarm?
    04-16-10 04:48 PM
    why are you so mad? I did not intend to open arguments with this thread, and i stated clearly. now you are bashing at your keyboard, if you want to find someone argue go find someone else, i don't make e-debates nor do I do them, however I do IRL fights if you prefer.

I simply said these most praised apps which people pay avg 5 dollars for, should be a standard with the OS, because these apps enhance the phones default features, such as contact list and certain others, while the OS should've already included them on the level these particular paid apps offer.

Those are not the equivilents for what you have listed, they are way too basic to be equivilents.

Last time I brought/assembled my own PC i got crap loads of BT softwares
    Last edited by new_to_BB; 04-16-10 at 04:54 PM.
    04-16-10 04:50 PM
    I agree. While what should be standard on a BB is subjective, I think what the OP is saying is out of the box, the BB OS lacks functions that could make it much more customizable or even user-friendly. This has been discussed over and over in countless threads about the OS, but the issue IMO, is the same. The BB OS lacks the bells and whistles to make it convenient.

To add to the OP's list, why can't we have an alarm clock with more than one alarm?
    Yes, it is all subjective. Blackberry has always been oriented more towards business users. As they make more inroads with the average population, hopefully they will start making things with more bells and whistles.

I however prefer that blackberries are stripped out of the box. I am the type that when I buy a new pc, before I even boot it up I wipe the HD and install a fresh RTM copy of windows so I can tailor it to my needs rather than spend time cleaning up the garbage that the oem stuffed on their for their own profit and end users pita.

People need to start taking stock in what they need/want/desire before they go from dumbphone to smartphone. I have considered moving to android, but I prefer the security of a BB.
    04-16-10 04:54 PM
    why are you so mad? I did not intend to open arguments with this thread, and i stated clearly. now you are bashing at your keyboard, if you want to find someone argue go find someone else, i don't make e-debates nor do I do them, however I do IRL fights if you prefer.

I simply said these most praised apps which people pay avg 5 dollars for, should be a standard with the OS, because these apps enhance the phones default features, such as contact list and certain others, while the OS should've already included them on the level these particular paid apps offer.

Those are not the equivilents for what you have listed, they are way too basic to be equivilents.

Last time I brought/assembled my own PC i got crap loads of BT softwares
    I am not sure what makes you think any of us are "bashing" our keyboards.
    You started this thread comparing BB and Iphone to windows, saying that all bb apps suck. Now you are saying that wasn't your point? And thats not a valid comparison to make?
    I presume you aren't fluent in technology, IE how software and OS's are programmed/built and how computers of all kinds operate.
    There are quite a few of us on this board that have been at a keyboard and screen since BBS was standard, and some a lot longer than that. I am 28, but started on tech showing my parents how to use a word processor in the early 80s and teaching classmates and teachers how to use an apple IIe when they were the best of the best.

If you were you would know that the more you try and do with a piece of software or an OS the more problems you will have. Not to mention the different demographics that RIM and Apple go after with their products.
    Last edited by rdyoung; 04-16-10 at 05:02 PM.
    04-16-10 04:58 PM
    use "I" not "us", I directed that at you and at noone else, rdyoung
    I never said "bb apps suck" isn't my point, i said for what you have brought up, they are out of the line of this discussion.

Do not put words in my mouth.
    04-16-10 05:01 PM
    use "I" not "us", I directed that at you and at noone else, rdyoung
    I never said "bb apps suck" isn't my point, i said for what you have brought up, they are out of the line of this discussion.

Do not put words in my mouth.
    You named this thread "BB APPS suck", How is that me putting words in your mouth.
    You think that BB should include apps that neither MSFT or APPL include with their OSs Desktop or Mobile. Yet this isn't a valid line of discussion?
    04-16-10 05:08 PM
    You named this thread "BB APPS suck", How is that me putting words in your mouth.
    You think that BB should include apps that neither MSFT or APPL include with their OSs Desktop or Mobile. Yet this isn't a valid line of discussion?
    Lol wow where do these people come from? I do agree with you rdyoung. I also like to customize and personalize my BB to suit ME. Thankfully BB allows ME to have this option rather than what the manufacture wants ME to have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-10 05:14 PM
    please re-read what i said.
    i NEVER said BB apps suck ISN'T my point, know how to read a double negative?
    and please re-read my original post to understand what i meant by "suck".
    and you put words in my mouth by saying that i said it is NOT my point.

on top of that, good luck paying $3.19 was it? for your little hang man game from apps world now. On windows I'd had various ways gettin the hundred-dollars programs without paying, though I chose to pay some of them because I support the creator and opt for the simplicity and upgradability and saves the time and risk of viruses.

I will not continue this discussion with you if you don't better your reading in english one way or another. Or if you are bound to the level of understanding you are at right now, I shall not continue any further discussion with you at all.

You don't happen to be a person in comp sci field are you?
    04-16-10 05:15 PM
    Glad i brought popcorn!
    04-16-10 05:17 PM
    rdyoung again to you, if you want to argue go find someone else. I made my point clear, if you toss away all your biases as you carefully read through my words, and cared to read and type slower without bashing, you'd know what i meant in my every posts.

GL finding someone you wanna e-debate with.
    04-16-10 05:20 PM
    please re-read what i said.
    i NEVER said BB apps suck ISN'T my point, know how to read a double negative?
    and please re-read my original post to understand what i meant by "suck".
    and you put words in my mouth by saying that i said it is NOT my point.

on top of that, good luck paying $3.19 was it? for your little hang man game from apps world now. On windows I'd had various ways gettin the hundred-dollars programs without paying, though I chose to pay some of them because I support the creator and opt for the simplicity and upgradability and saves the time and risk of viruses.

I will not continue this discussion with you if you don't better your reading in english one way or another. Or if you are bound to the level of understanding you are at right now, I shall not continue any further discussion with you at all.

You don't happen to be a person in comp sci field are you?
    How many of you are there? Out of the box BB now does everything I need it do. I can view/edit spreadsheets, office docs, presentations, etc. I can sms, mms, email, take photos, browse the web, set an alarm to wake me up in the morning, and if I need something more, their are lots of freely available apps out there to get the job done. Currently I use the weather channels app for weather, I was using gmails app before the upgrade to bis 3.0. And there are plenty of other apps out there to get whatever done I need to. I have a program installed called tsmobiles that was coded for symbian but I installed it no problem.

Actually, I kind of am in the field of IT and support, I have my own pc repair business. I was lucky to grow up with a mother who let me take stuff apart, as long as it wasnt something we absolutely needed. If the average home has/had it in the 80s and 90s, there is a good chance I took it apart.
    04-16-10 05:22 PM
    Glad i brought popcorn!
    Yeah, I rarely get into these type of discussions as they are usually like talking a mountain goat off a cliff, but sometimes it can be fun to be calm and let someone else get riled up
    04-16-10 05:24 PM
    This thread is ironic at best, circular at worst.

04-16-10 05:26 PM
    This thread is ironic at best, circular at worst.

But its good for a laugh.
    04-16-10 05:27 PM
89 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD