Mod-please feel free to move this thread as you see fit.

I am an extreme newbie, so please be gentle ....I don't really know for 'smart phones', but know that I'm frustrated with the BB Tour my son insisted I'd like. Anyway, I hate that it's not more apparent when I miss a phone call (and, in searching for information, still can't find an answer to one of my questions..and that is, when I recieve a call, and it goes to voicemail, is the phone number of the caller registered anywhere? And, apparently it does NOT show as a 'missed call'..?).

So, I'm learning through browsing here at crackberry and on the web, that if I want to get notification of missed calls, I have to download an alert program (how stupid is that? me thinks, anyway...).

I've seen several different alert apps I can download....have searched here and elsewhere to find which one gets the highest reviews, but to no avail. Does anyone here have recommendations on a good alert application?

Thanks so much! jana
    06-16-10 10:11 AM
    Welcome... Don't take offense to this but your post is a little on the confusing side...

You do not need to install any apps to alert you of a missed call. If you have a missed call that actually makes your phone ring at least once, you will get an icon and an alert that will say 'you have 1 missed call' and ask to view or save. If you have a voicemail WITHOUT a missed call icon AND the message, that means it went straight to voicemail. Not sure what carrier you have but if you don't get the missed call icon and you get a message, you can set it up to say what number left the message.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask away if it doesn't.
    06-16-10 10:19 AM
    Blink by VikySoft - available in AppWorld and the Crackberry App Store
    06-16-10 10:27 AM
    You should see a yellow phone with a red x and a number (number of missed calls).
    06-16-10 10:29 AM
    There is a way to see missed calls as a message. Open the phone app (green key), then press the menu key, then Options, then Call Logging, then select Missed Calls (or All Calls).
    Welcome... Don't take offense to this but your post is a little on the confusing side...
    I could be wrong but I think the OP is looking for a visual notification that
    DOES NOT require looking at the homescreen. Something that mimics
    the red notification alert but for missed calls, etc...
    I could be wrong but I think the OP is looking for a visual notification that
    DOES NOT require looking at the homescreen. Something that mimics
    the red notification alert but for missed calls, etc...
    Maybe, but no matter what screen you're at when away from the phone and upon returning, a fairly large message that you can't miss will show "you have 1 missed call".
    Last edited by Pi Guy 3.14; 06-16-10 at 10:36 AM.
    06-16-10 10:34 AM
    Maybe, but no matter what screen you're at when away from the phone and upon returning, a fairly large message that you can't miss will show "you have 1 missed call".
    Agreed and I get that. The app(s) do add a useful function though. I do not
    take my phone with me everywhere nor do I check it constantly. If I walk
    back into my office, out of the bathroom, back to my desk after giving the
    little guy a bath and there is a green flashing light I know I have a missed call.
    If not, I can continue to ignore my phone.
    06-16-10 10:39 AM
    Touche. Never thought about that. I coulda swore my 8100's did that so I just figured they all did. But guess I was wrong, seems kinda stupid that its not a standard feature.
    06-16-10 11:02 AM
    No offense taken, but yes, as the other poster noted, there is NO "you've missed one call" or whatever. There is no notification, or way to set up a notification (that I can see) that lets me know I"ve missed a call.

Sorry, don't remember the name of the person who left the instructions for setting up some sort of notification (in this thread) - thanks very much for that, but really, my phone was already set (under "call logging") to list missed calls in my message list. What I'm after is a blaring notation on my screen that I've missed a call (my cheesy, cheap phone I had for years had this feature, so I've been really surprised that this 'uber phone' doesn't seem to....

I really appreciate the time you've all taken to comment....from what I'm reading, it DOES appear that I need to download an app (and, as previously noted, this seems so ridiculous)

Thanks! jana
    06-16-10 11:48 AM
    Where am I supposed to see this yellow phone/red x? Nothing of the sort comes up under 'messages' or on my call log...? I've gone in and changed call logging to "all calls"..maybe that's what needed to happen..?

Thanks to everyone for putting up with my seemingly nonsensical questions - I, admittedly, do not know the proper lingo, so probably sound like an *****. Really, I'm not. Except when it comes to blackberries
    06-16-10 11:51 AM
    06-16-10 11:54 AM
    Amazingly graceless - thank you for the suggestion of 'blink' - I'll check it out.

So...am I, or am I not, correct that there isn't a 'missed call' notification standard in BB Tour? Want to make sure before I go buy an app...

Thanks so much..
    06-16-10 11:54 AM
    Thanks you, lak611!
    06-16-10 11:55 AM
    Where am I supposed to see this yellow phone/red x?
    On your home screen at the top. I have one unread message and one missed call. Your wallpaper will look a little different, since you have a different device and carrier than me, but the icon should be the same.
    Last edited by lak611; 06-16-10 at 12:20 PM.
    06-16-10 11:56 AM
    sorry for all these posts - I meant to ask (pi guy) - so, if a caller goes to voicemail and leaves a message, I need to set it up with my carrier (sprint) to be able to see the phone number of the caller? It's not something I can set up on my phone? Again, I just think it's strange that this isn't something that's "built in" (maybe it is, and I've just not figured out how to set it up)...

thanks muchly..jana
    06-16-10 11:58 AM
    Okay...I'll watch for that...wasn't aware that that was supposed to show on my home screen. ty very much..
    06-16-10 11:59 AM
    sorry for all these posts - I meant to ask (pi guy) - so, if a caller goes to voicemail and leaves a message, I need to set it up with my carrier (sprint) to be able to see the phone number of the caller? It's not something I can set up on my phone? Again, I just think it's strange that this isn't something that's "built in" (maybe it is, and I've just not figured out how to set it up)...

thanks muchly..jana
    Well like I said I didn't know youre carrier at the time, but with tmobiles voicemail I can set it up to let me know of the caller's number before I hear the message. This is onl

But again, those apps that you plan to buy are like amazinglygracious said. It will let you make the led flash to let you know visibly of a missed call without having to actually check the phone.

If you get a missed call, 2 things will always happen regardless. You will get the missed phone call icon on the homescreen (somewhere at the top) that will stay there until you check your call log and you will also get a pop up message directly in the middle of the screen that will say "you have 1 missed calls" that will give you the option to view or close.

And I was just pointing out, if you get a voicemail without any missed call notification that just means you didn't have service and or for whatever reason the phone call skipped your phone and went straight to voicemail.

Hope that helps.
    06-16-10 12:13 PM
    Thanks Pi -

Well, as mentioned above, I'll now be watching for the icon on my home screen indicating a missed call, but there is no message in the middle of the screen that pops up saying I missed a call - it's this notification that I wish this phone had! And, apparently it doesn't (?). From all I'm reading, it does not have this feature, and I know that no such thing has ever shown up on my phone. Wish it did and find it strange that this BB doesn't have that feature.

It appears that after re-setting my call-logging to show "all calls" worked - now, when someone calls and leaves a message, that call/their phone number are now listed in my call log (thanks to a helpful tip here...it's appreciated!!).
    06-16-10 01:28 PM
    Unless its a tour thing, I don't know why you dont see the missed call pop up message. All my bb's had it. Let me ask you this... When you get a missed call, do you ignore it? Or is it say if you get a missed call, and don't touch the phone and come back and there is no message?

Do you have another phone you can call your phone and test different situations to get a feel for how it works?
    06-16-10 01:53 PM
    Thanks for showing your screen - that helps a lot to see the icons...
    best, jana
    06-16-10 05:15 PM
    In each situation (missed call), it's been a time when I'm not near my phone. When I'm back with my phone again, it won't show anything on the screen (except a tiny yellow phone and red x icon up on the top of the screen-which I've just become aware of thanks to you all) - nothing else...so, at a glance, you're not aware you've missed a call (my old phone used to beep when I missed a call, in addition to displaying the 'missed call' notification - I really liked that)....it's only when I go to my call log that I see a missed call phone number and so know I've missed a call.

But, I do like your suggestion of calling the phone from another and just testing it out to see what happens under different circumstances..thanks much..
    06-16-10 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD