Ok so I bought a new BB about 3 months ago straight out (no contract). Its a BB 8520 Tmobile Branded. I decided i wanted to get cheaper than the Flex pay and went w/ simple mobile which works on GSM phones. They told me I can get Everything UNL for $50.00 and I jumped on it. Once I signed up for the new plan I learned that I had to use Opera Mini for my Web Browser and MMS receiver and now I am pissed!! I have been trying to download the Opera Mini for months now and still cant get it. So when i do it ( since I dont have data i cant download it through the phone) I have to do it through my computer and transfer it to my phone. Also I see that I have firmware 4.2.6.259 on mine ( i think) and none of the ones on opera mini show that firmware) so confused on this stuff!!!

So I have been trying to dowload it and transfer it through BB Desktop Manager and it keeps telling me that file isnt compatible. So i do it through my SD card (control panel, yadaydayda) and when I look for the app in my phone I cant find it. I see that its a zip file but i dont know how to open/extract it, put it back together and put it on my phone. This ish is so complicated.. can someone help me soon!! cause I am paying for MMS and data and cant use it!! Please HELP!!!!
    04-08-10 10:45 PM
    allright, assuming you have os 4.2 on your phone. Why don't you start with upgrading yours to os 5? http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/ne...hellas-431392/
    Perhaps after upgrading you'll have better luck on compatibility.
    04-08-10 11:14 PM
    allright, assuming you have os 4.2 on your phone. Why don't you start with upgrading yours to os 5? http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/ne...hellas-431392/
    Perhaps after upgrading you'll have better luck on compatibility.
    Exactly that, couldn't be simpler to do, just search this forum

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-10 07:00 AM
    I will upgrade but my problem is to download it onto my computer and put it on my BB. I dont know how to do that.... For some reason DM wont let me put it on cause its a Zip. file and its not compatible and then when I was doin it while transferring it to my SD card i could find it but my sd card sd it was on the card but i couldnt find it on my phone. Also when I check Opera mini to see what firmware was available it says they only have 4.2, 4.3, and 4.7... No 5.0!! Do i know what I am doing? I need a break down step by step...
    04-09-10 02:57 PM
    I will upgrade but my problem is to download it onto my computer and put it on my BB. I dont know how to do that.... For some reason DM wont let me put it on cause its a Zip. file and its not compatible and then when I was doin it while transferring it to my SD card i could find it but my sd card sd it was on the card but i couldnt find it on my phone. Also when I check Opera mini to see what firmware was available it says they only have 4.2, 4.3, and 4.7... No 5.0!! Do i know what I am doing? I need a break down step by step...
    To use the latest Opera Mini you will need to upgrade the OS on your BB first. See here for instructions:

BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

Once that is accomplished we can give you the necessary steps for installing Opera Mini.
    04-09-10 08:38 PM
    I learned that I had to use Opera Mini for my Web Browser
    you can use any browser provided it's one made available for blackberry phones. are you trying to use internet without BIS enabled?

i think with things like opera mini & google maps it's best to look for them in your blackberry browser & download them from there. there is also BOLT browser you can download, personally i find bolt is better on blackberry whereas opera mini is good on other phones.

oh yeah, blackberry will be getting a new improved browser soon
    04-10-10 04:28 AM
    All of u so helpful.. So I tried the OS 5.0 But it didnt work. Now Simple Mobile sd I had to use Opera Mini to enable the internet and my mms. see u guys are using big words like BIS and stuff like that.. I need the basics.. how to get Opera mini on my Blackberry... I have to do it through my computer since I dont have internet on my phone
    04-10-10 10:51 PM
    well it might vary with carrier... did you ask your network for Blackberry internet service (BIS)? some networks might be blocking ports so some things may not work. i couldn't get opera mini (or anything) to work until i got BIS on top of my data plan.

in some contracts & with some carriers you might have it included in your plan... mine is not. whatever, you can struggle to make it work without BIS, but it's easier just to get it added to your plan, then everything should work.

otherwise, you need to google internet without BIS, or blackberry without BIS... results will vary depending on your carrier.

the BIS plan is small money next to your carriers data plan - afterall, it's your carriers data network that's carrying the blackberry service, so you still need to pay for carriers data (GPRS, EDGE, 3G, whatever). you're paying for BIS mainly for blackberry browser, messenger, & if your carrier has blocked some ports, internet also. HOWEVER - your phones WAP browser should still work without all this.
    04-11-10 05:59 AM
    I have the same situation I have the BB8520 on simple mobile unlimited data for 60.00 and I am lost I know I need to transfer an operamini or something like it I need someone to explain what I have to do
    08-15-10 06:52 PM
    what is BIS?
    08-15-10 06:53 PM
    ok nevermind I see its blackberry internet service simple mobile has unlimited internet but nothing special or different for BBs far as I know they use edge same as t-mobile, on they're towers
    08-15-10 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD