Anybody used this program for tethering their phone before?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 07:08 AM
    I check the website and user guide and couldn't find any references for tethering with this device.
    07-06-10 07:16 AM
    Well it works fine on my 9700, just wondering bout data charges?

07-06-10 07:20 AM
    Well I know some carriers have restrictions on tethering, and others on data usage. If it's using data like Tether, you should be okay, but if your carrier has tethering restrictions, they might suspect you are tethering in violation of their agreement if they see a data spike.
    07-06-10 07:33 AM
    So it should be okay to use occasionally then? Just noticed when I hold down the BB button the app is always open grrr

07-06-10 07:51 AM
    I would think so. If you plan heavy use I would check out what I mentioned so you don't get in trouble with your carrier.

BTW, I did a little more searching and found a review that mentioned internet access.
    07-06-10 09:15 AM
    @arbonb Have you tried thetering your BB with a laptop or perhaps with a Tablet (ipad)?
    03-14-11 08:22 AM
    Bayalink's Liberty app works much like the Tether program. Your carrier can't tell you are tethering, unless you use an inordinate amount of data. I use Liberty and find it to not only be a great way to tether, but also a great way to see all my PIM data on my PC screen and edit it, as opposed to always doing it on my phone. There was a recent post on the Crackberry Blog that Bayalink just released an adapter of some kind to work on the iPad as well.
    03-14-11 08:58 AM
    Bayalink is not really tethering in the truest sense. Its not like PDAnet or Tether, it's different. It is an app that let's you use your computer to view your Blackberry AND that includes using the web. Now it also does not do this simply by broadcasting your BB screen, it uses the PCs resources, so for the web you get to use the PC's browser, BUT you can not do other things (like you can with a Tether or PDAnet connection) for example you can't use a P2P (file sharing) program.

Bayalink Liberty is a great program thou and well worth the money. . Besides just the web browsing, you can do your schedule (think Palm Desktop), use BBM on the PC, edit your contacts, and do other stuff. Its a very useful program!

EDIT: I found the blog Kevin did about the beta version of this enons ago........

http://crackberry.com/bayalink-launc...erry-bis-users
    BB Musketeers likes this.
    03-15-11 12:04 AM
    I totally agree with you about the value of the program. As a an ex-Palm person, I love Liberty. I didn't realize the differences with Tether, however. Thanks for the info.
    03-15-11 10:29 AM
    Yea I'm an ex Palm person too, and NOTHING compares to Palm Desktop, but this comes close and with the added ability to sorta tether, it makes it well worth the money. And to answer the person's question, you will NOT be charged for tethering, you are NOT tethering, you are simply viewing your BB on your computer, you just happen to be using IE, Mozilla, Chrome to see the web, BUT technically you are still just using the BB. You do NOT have a full internet tethered connection, like I said you can not file share for example.
    03-15-11 10:35 AM
    arbonb,

Here is a link to a 30 day trial of Bayalink Liberty. Check it out and decide for yourself. Bayalink Solutions Corp.

@ pkcable,

Don't get me started on all the things I miss about Palm OS. I thought Blackberry was supposed to have the best email (I had better via ChatterEmail), the loss of the Palm Desktop, the better calendar applications such as Dtbk / Pimlical or Agendus, even the better alarm clock selections (e.g. Bell Time). Although there are some things I like better on the Blackberry, it amazes me that as we advance technologically, the quality of similar apps seem to degrade. Perhaps its because Palm was the only game in town for a number of years and developers had plenty of time to perfect their offerings and make money on them. Now, everything is changing so fast that they no sooner get an app out and they have to revise it for a new OS upgrade or totally new OS. Okay, off the pedestal.
    pkcable likes this.
    03-15-11 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD