I have terrible battery life on .148 after having really good life under .75, the only other OS I have run. I have now deleted what I consider my last 3rd party application, Ubertwitter. Are apps like AIM & Facebook 3rd party? Those apps come up as options to install in the Device Manager, so I assume they are RIM applications. The following is what comes up under options:advanced options:applications:

AOL Instant Messenger 2.2.36 (does this count as 3rd party?)
    Blackberry 4.7 Core Applications 4.7
    Blackberry 4.7 System Software 4.7
    Blackberry Attachment Service 4.7.0
    Blackberry Maps 4.7.0
    Blackberry S/MIME Support 4.7.0
    Brickbreaker 4.7.0
    Browse 4.7.0
    Documents To Go 1.006.052
    Email Setup Application 4.7.0
    Facebook 1.6.0.17 (3rd party app?)
    Help 4.7.0
    Memopad 4.7.0
    Phone 4.7.0
    Word Mole 4.7.0

I have never run Weatherbug which seems to have been the problem for most people experiencing the battery issue with .148. Is anything on that list a known battery hog? Is there anything on that list that is not needed? Is there anything NOT on that list that needs to be there? I would really appreciate any ideas anybody might have. I understand that a lot of people are not having any issues with .148, but there are a lot of us that are, and we could really use a solution, because this is unacceptable. My radio turned off after about 12 hours yesterday after what I would call moderate use. Under .75, I would have had 60-70% left. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by jep0617; 06-11-09 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Make title more clear
    06-11-09 12:18 PM
    try doing like a "trickle charge"... let the phone run dead then charge it via usb. thats actually what worked for me
    06-11-09 01:49 PM
    I have tried the trickle charge, and it didn't help? Are AIM & Facebook known to be problems with .148? They were fine with .75, and neither are actively running. The only 4 things always running are phone, browser, messages & home.
    Last edited by jep0617; 06-11-09 at 02:11 PM. Reason: clarification
    06-11-09 02:08 PM
    are you noticing you signal bouncing all over? MIne is and I think that may have something to do with mine. I may just look for .75, downgrade then upgrade. Is .75 still around??
    06-11-09 03:27 PM
    are you noticing you signal bouncing all over? MIne is and I think that may have something to do with mine. I may just look for .75, downgrade then upgrade. Is .75 still around??
    I haven't noticed my signal doing anything it wasn't doing on .75. There is an area at my job where I don't get a great signal, but it's not an area I spend a ton of time in, and it is not a variable that has changed since upgrading to .148. Can anybody confirm that AIM and Facebook are issues on .148?
    06-11-09 03:39 PM
    I have had no battery issuues with Facebook or Aim. If you have access to another battery I'd try it to make sure you dont have a faulty battery. My 2cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 03:52 PM
    I have had no battery issuues with Facebook or Aim. If you have access to another battery I'd try it to make sure you dont have a faulty battery. My 2cents.

I don't have access to another battery, but I am considering buying one. The only problem with that possible solution is that my battery was fine before I upgraded to .148. Is it possible that the upgrade itself fried my battery?
    06-11-09 03:54 PM
    Facebook killed my battery. It is a 3rd party app. Anything not made by RIM is 3rd party app. Uninstall Facebook and check battery life. If no luck try uninstalling AOL, but I have not read complaints about AOL.
    06-11-09 03:55 PM
    Facebook killed my battery. It is a 3rd party app. Anything not made by RIM is 3rd party app. Uninstall Facebook and check battery life. If no luck try uninstalling AOL, but I have not read complaints about AOL.
    Did that start for you when you upgraded to .148, or did Facebook always cause battery problems?
    06-11-09 04:00 PM
    Yea, that's odd, its all probabl because of user error. I'm getting .98% loss per hour with all apps installed.
    Lol you couldn't even run AIM in the background with .75

06-11-09 04:02 PM
    Facebook killed my battery on .141. I have not used it since. No problems with .148
    06-11-09 04:03 PM
    Yea, that's odd, its all probabl because of user error. I'm getting .98% loss per hour with all apps installed.
    Lol you couldn't even run AIM in the background with .75

So are you saying I am committing some sort of user error, and that is draining my battery? I have given quite a bit of information about what is running. What kind of error could I be making?
    06-11-09 04:05 PM
    I've noticed increased battery drain after the update also. It isn't a drastic change just not as much at the end of the day. I just tend to plug it in more than before.

06-11-09 08:13 PM
    I have an extended battery and it would run for 3 days with the old software. I updated to 148 last night and my battery was completely dead after 12 hours today.

I went through and turned everything off I could think off, trying to set it back like it was but this is ridiculous.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them as well.
    06-11-09 08:40 PM
    If you don't mind doing a little bit of work to open up your engineering screen you can look at how much power your phone is consuming while it is running. Here is a description on how to get to your engineering screen. Once you are viewing your engineering screen go to OS engineering screen>Battery>Battery monitoring screen with the normal apps idling in the background your should be around 50-75mA at 7-11mV of voltage draw.

In case your didn't know how to access the help menu on the Storm it is:
    press and hold the ESC/back button down and touch the top left of the screen then the top right then the top left and then the top right again. This will bring the Help Me! menu up on the storm. They don't explain this on that website.

Once you are able to find your battery draw number then you can start eliminating programs one at a time to see if the draw goes away. Once it has gone away you will have found which program was your problem. I would start with facebook and then move up to AIM. Though I believe that both of these apps were written by RIM they are still considered 3rd party apps and can still cause problems. Sometime the problem app just needs to be uninstalled and then reinstalled. Good Luck.
    06-11-09 09:56 PM
    If you don't mind doing a little bit of work to open up your engineering screen you can look at how much power your phone is consuming while it is running. Here is a description on how to get to your engineering screen. Once you are viewing your engineering screen go to OS engineering screen>Battery>Battery monitoring screen with the normal apps idling in the background your should be around 50-75mA at 7-11mV of voltage draw.

press and hold the ESC/back button down and touch the top left of the screen then the top right then the top left and then the top right again. This will bring the Help Me! menu up on the storm. They don't explain this on that website.

Once you are able to find your battery draw number then you can start eliminating programs one at a time to see if the draw goes away. Once it has gone away you will have found which program was your problem. I would start with facebook and then move up to AIM. Though I believe that both of these apps were written by RIM they are still considered 3rd party apps and can still cause problems. Sometime the problem app just needs to be uninstalled and then reinstalled. Good Luck.
    holy cow that is a gold mine
    06-11-09 10:19 PM
    My battery life sucks on .148 also. I can barely get 5 hours out of it with minimal use before i go into the yellow and red.
    06-11-09 10:33 PM

WTH does 'throttling is enabled' mean...i got to the engineering screen and was checking a few settings and it says 'throttling is enabled'...they better not be throttling my internet. This setting is under EVDO Internet
    06-11-09 10:44 PM
    oooh, i found out how to find a listing of all open processes, and you can go in and kill the processes.
    06-11-09 10:49 PM
    WTH does 'throttling is enabled' mean...i got to the engineering screen and was checking a few settings and it says 'throttling is enabled'...they better not be throttling my internet. This setting is under EVDO Internet
    The testing that I have done it has no affect on your data throughput.
    06-12-09 10:56 AM
    holy cow that is a gold mine
    SHHHHHH don't tell anyone
    06-12-09 10:56 AM

i checked my battery draw and this is what it says current 125mA vesr 18mV
    and yes i have battery problems
    06-12-09 11:25 AM

I am able to get to the help me screen, and went to the website to generateh the unlock code, but when I enter it nothing happens.
    06-12-09 11:42 AM
    its supposed to change as soon as you punch in the last digit. must have done something wrong
    06-12-09 12:00 PM
    its supposed to change as soon as you punch in the last digit. must have done something wrong
    I was putting 60 seconds in the 'uptime' field. I assumed that was how long I wanted the screen to be up, and 1 day for duration. Does that sound right?
    06-12-09 12:04 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD